Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
how do you guys prevent yr car from being stolen ??
the question in itself is rather simple, but the answer is much more complex.

we all have a standard systems, like alarm and start-protection.
but is it enough ??

you can fit tracking and location systems.
these systems can nowadays easily be fooled with blockers.

cars can be opened without the use of a key.
(how does your dealer get in yr car, when you lost both keys??)

there are can-bus devices that disable the alarm ànd make it possible to start the car with "any" key.

so, what is the answer ??

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
You want to fit one of these:

Cheers

·
Registered
497 Posts
Or a rotweiller

·
Registered
185 Posts
well if you're really worried about these supposed technologically-superior criminal masterminds then there's not a whole lot you can do.

Sadly insurance is probably the answer. A secure garage is good too if possible. And, if you still feel vulnerable, maybe one of those old-fashioned lojack steering wheel locks?

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
get Car replacement Gap, then you get a nice new car everytime they steal it- beats cleaning it !

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my A5 is reasonably safe here.
what gets stolen are often S4, RS4, S6 and RS6.
I was really wondering if there are devices and possibilities, I have not heared off.
what I was thinking about is a can-bus device, that reacts to a sort of credit-card, also used to enter buildings, etc.
in fact similar to the comfort-key.
if you don't have this "credit-card" with you, the car won't start.
just an example.

here we have a few people who have replaced the can-bus connector, under the dash, above the clutch-pedal, with a standard 16-pole connector.
and they made a short cable with on one end the other 16-pole conn. on the other end the original can-bus connector.
if you don't have this special home-made cable, you can't place an odb-blocker, because it does not fit.

if there is no ready-made device, you have to make it yourself :)

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
9,072 Posts
Thanks for being a marketeer, much better than a spammer.
Bollards will put off an opportunist, but if a determined gang really want your shiny new RS they will either encourage you out of the car as you pull on to your drive or break down your door and hold a knife or gun to your wife, children or even worse, your dog, until you hand over the keys to your car, diskloc, bollards or the code to your ghost.

So either drive a punto, or insure your nice car without silly high excesses and take out replace to new gap cover.
The best thing that can happen is your car gets nicked and replaced with a shiny new one which may be the next generation on.
The worst is your car doesn't get nicked.
Either way no one gets hurt.

Ps. Only 10 years late to the thread. Oh well.

Reactions: Nemo78

·
Registered
376 Posts
And if the dog;s been chipped they could take that too- unless you keep it in a Faraday pouch of course..

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
9,072 Posts
Blx to that.....they can take the missus and leave the dogs...

Or I could take the dogs and go with them..........

Reactions: Pulsarlaser

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yes, and if you did that and she then ran off with a policeman, at least if you ever got stopped for speeding you could always say you were speeding because you thought they were bringing her back..

·
Registered
9,072 Posts
First heard that in 1975....coincidentally this is also from 1975...

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Thanks Racks keep em coming please (so to speak). Personally I have zero badges on my old S4 so it looks like a 2.0, and then I keep her in a well locked garage where the neighbours are soooooo nosy that they see me drive up and come to say hiya even before I stop.......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts