Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's it. I'm really pissed off with it now.

That's 4 times, yes, FOUR bloody times my car's lay outside with it's boot lid (trunk for our friends at the other side of the atlantic) open.

I have never experienced a key by any other manufacturer that is so prone to opening my boot lid so that every passer by can peer into and grab anything which is of value inside the boot.

Luckilly, (and it really is lucky), all four times its been in a good area. Tonight, for example it was in a private car park outside. One of my neighbour's visitors chapped on the door to inform me that the boot lid had been open for the past hour.

The other three times this happened the key was in my trouser pocket. Even leaning over (somehow?) presses the boot lid button, thus opening the boot (why is it always the boot lid button?).

This time, however, my key was in my jacket pocket on the sofa. My only conclusion is that either the dog or the cat sat on the bloody thing and opened the boot lid. And this is in living room at the opposite side of the house to where the car is!!!!!!

There must be something that can be done with this. Three changes I would like:

1. DECREASE the radio signal distance. Only cocky show offs open the doors while they're half a mile away from the car.

2. DO NOT let the tailgate open while the doors are locked. (what a stupid idea anyway). For one, it'll make sure the bootlid doesn't open while the rest of the car is locked. And secondly (for those of us not lucky enough to have advanced key) it means we can't lock the key in the boot.

3. Re-design the bloody key. It looks good - OK - but it can not have place in ANYONES trouser pocket. Because as soon as you sit down or bed over... POP! The stupid tailgate opens again.

Sorry, just had to vent some anger at this stupid thing.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Isn't it possible to disable the remote opening of the trunk via VAG COM or MMI menu? I remember reading about related options at least...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I feel for ya Rab...

Never had that problem myself, but only had my5 a month.

Not good to hear as I'll be keeping my golf clubs in mine.

Also LOC...opening the boot is a cool feature, shouldn't have to disable it, although maybe Rabb is now considering it !!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
What are you doing, Rab?
It has never happened to me.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Isn't it possible to disable the remote opening of the trunk via VAG COM or MMI menu? I remember reading about related options at least...
Yea. There's an option in the MMI to disable remote boot opening. In mine it's under 'car' options.

The BMW E46 key was bad for this. At least the Audi key demands the button be depressed for a few seconds, the E46 key would release with one tounch of the button. That said, the BMW boot would only unlatch when the key was pressed and not completely open like the A5.

·
Registered
106 Posts
In order to balance the "never happened to me" crowd I can say its happened to me on a number of occasions. Aside from the security issue you feel a right tit when someone points it out to you!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Never happened to me, in fact, I'd like to complement the robustness of the key after it fell into the bucket when I was washing the car a couple of weeks ago!

Hope the MMI fix does the job for you mate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep , it has happened to me on a couple of occasions.

First time was the day I got my car.It was sat on the driveway and went outside only to find a police patrol car outside my house with them just about to get out the car. There was my boot open and fortunately nothing much in it due to being brand new. They asked if everything was OK etc. Felt really dumb having to explain it.

It also happened the other night. I was locking the front door and noticed the lights on my car were on. Checked the car to find it had unlocked and the boot open all because the key was in my pocket.

I do use the remote option when carrying lots of things as it is easier than fumbling around so don't want to turn it off.

Oh well it is still a great car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think there must be a vagcom code or something to control the trunk. My trunk will not open when I press the button, I have to keep the button pressed for 3 secs until it opens.
I thought it was designed to be like that until I read this post.

·
Registered
436 Posts
That's it. I'm really pissed off with it now.

That's 4 times, yes, FOUR bloody times my car's lay outside with it's boot lid (trunk for our friends at the other side of the atlantic) open.

I have never experienced a key by any other manufacturer that is so prone to opening my boot lid so that every passer by can peer into and grab anything which is of value inside the boot.

Luckilly, (and it really is lucky), all four times its been in a good area. Tonight, for example it was in a private car park outside. One of my neighbour's visitors chapped on the door to inform me that the boot lid had been open for the past hour.

The other three times this happened the key was in my trouser pocket. Even leaning over (somehow?) presses the boot lid button, thus opening the boot (why is it always the boot lid button?).

This time, however, my key was in my jacket pocket on the sofa. My only conclusion is that either the dog or the cat sat on the bloody thing and opened the boot lid. And this is in living room at the opposite side of the house to where the car is!!!!!!

There must be something that can be done with this. Three changes I would like:

1. DECREASE the radio signal distance. Only cocky show offs open the doors while they're half a mile away from the car.

2. DO NOT let the tailgate open while the doors are locked. (what a stupid idea anyway). For one, it'll make sure the bootlid doesn't open while the rest of the car is locked. And secondly (for those of us not lucky enough to have advanced key) it means we can't lock the key in the boot.

3. Re-design the bloody key. It looks good - OK - but it can not have place in ANYONES trouser pocket. Because as soon as you sit down or bed over... POP! The stupid tailgate opens again.

Sorry, just had to vent some anger at this stupid thing.

I beg to differ on point #1.. :laughinatabove: Its really convenient to have the bootlid open way before I get to my car... I hold the button down and it opens just as I'm about to get close and it couldn't be more effecient!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the braun buffel key pouch and it help to prevent accident damage from falling and also protect the buttons from bring press while in the pants. Only real issue is, if you do not have advanced key option, you may have to take it in & out all the time.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Yea. There's an option in the MMI to disable remote boot opening. In mine it's under 'car' options.

The BMW E46 key was bad for this. At least the Audi key demands the button be depressed for a few seconds, the E46 key would release with one tounch of the button. That said, the BMW boot would only unlatch when the key was pressed and not completely open like the A5.
...Exactly!

Problem solved... Just turn it off. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
132 Posts
self commanded opening

Hi Rab
At least it is only the boot. My passat would occasionally drop the windows in the rear doors after I had left the car and without reason. Never found out why.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...Exactly!

Problem solved... Just turn it off. :thumbsup:

Not on my menu. I've got lockable boot lid / tailgate. Which is when the button on the tailgate is permanently disabled. Not when the button on the remote is permanently disabled.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Not on my menu. I've got lockable boot lid / tailgate. Which is when the button on the tailgate is permanently disabled. Not when the button on the remote is permanently disabled.
Ahhh, I stand humbly corrected.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Hi Rab
At least it is only the boot. My passat would occasionally drop the windows in the rear doors after I had left the car and without reason. Never found out why.
strange my BMW used to do that aswell! turned out that damp had got into the membrane inside the door panels which was affecting the electronics, once this was replaced under warrenty the problem stopped!

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have had the car lock before with the key in my pocket. However I have never had the boot open.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I just tried mine and I needed to hold it down for about 2 seconds for it to open the boot. I guess if you were sitting down and had a lot of keys in your pocket or other items you could push them into the button and hold it there and it would open.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Also LOC...opening the boot is a cool feature, shouldn't have to disable it, although maybe Rabb is now considering it !!
Of course, I wasn't trying to express an opinion about the situation, just trying to help with possible solutions to his predicament...

I would still suggest checking out what the latest VCDS/VAG COM software would let you switch on and off if you check out the convenience and central electronics modules (or other relevant modules) and their (long) coding. Who knows, maybe there is something helpful there...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts