1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
The interesting question is whether other transmissions are affected. Is this just limited to the torque converter autos, or are the DSG and CVT boxes also implicated? As to this being a completely new cheat... I suspect not. Rather, it seems like a case of the other side of the coin. And, the logic is consistent - given just how closely linked modern engines and transmissions are, you'd almost expect there to be some sort of coding in the TCU that worked hand-in-hand with the ECU fudges to keep emissions low in a specific circumstance.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Old news...this surfaced months ago.

Can't speak for you colonials but in the UK we are taxed on co2 and got encouraged to buy diesel.....both on emissions tax and on fuel cost. HOWEVER the tests on which our tax and fuel costs are calculated are so misrepresentative of reality we as consumers are being cheated before the manufacturer even gets to join in.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First I had heard about the TCU hack. I'm still not clear on if this is only on diesels or all TCU's. Either way we are gonna make sure the wheel is straight for emissions renewal.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
No, mate, not here. While diesel is increasingly popular here, there's no tax incentives associated with it. We've only got the official consumption figures to laugh at!

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
So when you buy a new audi quattro and you are going in a straight line on dry tarmac at a constant speed and it drops the drive to the rear wheels to improve economy/ drop emissions is that a cheat too?

Reactions: MikeTrammel

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
This seems like new developments...or perhaps I am late to the party?

It seems to suggest its tied only to the 8-speed Tiptronic boxes, so that would be the bigger models? Not sure if its diesel and petrol, but considering CO2 emissions are typically much lower on diesels, I imagine this affects petrol much more.

I wondered why the new S5 has the tiptronic and now I may have a new theory as to why...

Getting seriously fed up of hearing so much from VAG with this nonsense. I'm not naive enough to think other manufacturers aren't doing dodgy shit as well, but it seems that VAG are very very obviously doing it on a rather large and deceptive scale.

Between this and their abysmal customer service I have had to endure over the last two times to sort out a loud rattle (turned out to be the window regulator cable in the drivers door), I think Im about ready to leave after the S5...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So when you buy a new audi quattro and you are going in a straight line on dry tarmac at a constant speed and it drops the drive to the rear wheels to improve economy/ drop emissions is that a cheat too?
If its done during testing and only for a specific period I would say its a cheat.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This seems like new developments...or perhaps I am late to the party?

It seems to suggest its tied only to the 8-speed Tiptronic boxes, so that would be the bigger models? Not sure if its diesel and petrol, but considering CO2 emissions are typically much lower on diesels, I imagine this affects petrol much more.

I wondered why the new S5 has the tiptronic and now I may have a new theory as to why...

Getting seriously fed up of hearing so much from VAG with this nonsense. I'm not naive enough to think other manufacturers aren't doing dodgy shit as well, but it seems that VAG are very very obviously doing it on a rather large and deceptive scale.

Between this and their abysmal customer service I have had to endure over the last two times to sort out a loud rattle (turned out to be the window regulator cable in the drivers door), I think Im about ready to leave after the S5...
This makes me sad. :frown2:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I understand Doc. I'm having some hot cocoa watching our elections with a cyanide tab just in case.

Reactions: julianwhitta

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I mixed up the acid and the cyanide and now I'm just hoping this shit doesn't wear off for 4 years.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Another reason fuck off diesel and use petrol engines :)

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
I know nothing but apparently the stars are aligned so the president and the Senate and all the other bits of usa management are all on the same side so something might happen and it might be a good thing or not.

You get that for free but if I was a consultant that would cover 257 pages and cost $798644.00

Reactions: MikeTrammel
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.