Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you flame me, let me explain.

I am looking for an A5, probably S-line, probably 6sp to replace my 16 1/2 year old all-wheel-drive 300hp luxury sports car. I test drove an A5 tip at a local dealer, then had my wife take it out. We knew another dealer over an hour away had a S-line, so made the road trip a week later. She drove an A3, then I drove the A5 S-line. I much prefer the seats of the S-line, as the side bolsters give me more of a sense of being "wrapped in", like my current car. We both prefer the 19" Y-rims over the 18" stock.

Anyway, she said the A3 had too much of a "small car feel" to it, so I suggested the A4. She test drove an A4 the next day, and two days later we found a 2008 A4 2.0T Quattro Tiptronic service loaner with less than 5,000mi on it in the Deep Sea Blue she was looking for. Has the "free for '08" S-line badge, paddle shift, and exterior trim. My wife can't get over the feeling of quality and luxury of the Audi. She has since told me that I can get whatever options I want on the A5, seeing how I will probably keep it "forever".

I have not driven a 6sp A5, but think I need it over the tip, in order to feel "more connected" to the driving experience. Otherwise, I feel like I am just steering, as the paddle shifting just doesn't do anything for me.

I am also impressed with the amount of room in the back seat. My current car has seating for 4, but the rear passengers better not want to put their legs on the floor. Had no problem putting a full size reversible car seat in the back, either, for my infant. Can't say it was real easy getting her in and out, but the seat, itself won't fit in my car.

My current car is black, and I thought I would end up ordering a brilliant black A5, but then reading the forums about keeping it clean, and knowing my limited washing patterns, I started considering another color. Am not sold on the white/silver/grays, so was planning on DSB, which worked out well that my wife got a DSB A4. I could then "wear" the color to see what I thought. Very nice color, but I think I will stick with brilliant black, unless that Phantom black becomes a non-custom color option.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Audis are awesome cars. I own a 19 yr old Audi Coupe Quattro (1989) here in germany, and it still runs great! The interior still looks good as well. The A5 S-line is a cool car. I drove a 3.0 TDI one here, and I really hope they come to the states! DSB was a color I also considered. I am learning now toward Brill. Red or Quartz Grey with black interior. No matter what you choose, you can't go wrong with an Audi.

I would also get a 6spd... not much into Auto cars, unless I had to deal with lots of traffic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a picture of my 10mo old daughter sitting in the A5 s-line after we took it for a test drive. Getting her started right!

·
Registered
463 Posts
welcome to the forum geordon,

I understand you choosing the A4 since has more space in the back and it's a family car, but why didn't you wait for the new A4? Should be out this fall and it's identical to the A5 with more space.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Geordan -

What's it like lugging around the 2 extra doors? (A4 vs A5)? Ha Ha! Only kidding.

I'm told by a good friend who owns an S5 with the Phantom Black paint that it is awesome! It's somewhat of a matte finish with slight metallic flecks in it.

versus

Brilliant black which is very shiny and shows swirls and scratches much easier.

I'm considering going with the Phantom Black.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

GTL

·
Registered
198 Posts
XplOd Dont know who told you the new A4 looks like the A5 but they must be blind my mate as the new model and apart from a few similarities at the front thats it, nothing like it. Interior dashboard wise it is very similar

·
Registered
463 Posts
XplOd Dont know who told you the new A4 looks like the A5 but they must be blind my mate as the new model and apart from a few similarities at the front thats it, nothing like it. Interior dashboard wise it is very similar
No one told me my friend I saw both cars. Obviously the A5 is sportier, but the similarities are numerous, especially inside.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What xpl0d said....I've seen the brochure and features of the new A4 that is coming out and it is styled and designed much similar to the A5. Not saying that the current A4 is not nice, dealers/Audi are pricing the '08's to sell, just that the new '09 A4 platform will be an upgrade.

·
Registered
26 Posts
2 + 2 ( small ones)

I bought the A5 (sport, metior, 3TDI) and have two boys, one 2 and one 4, there is plenty of space and they love it back there, like a first class cabin but with more torque.....

top tip when convincing the missus, rented one ( the A5 that is) then took it for long weekend ( again the car)....always put the smaller child on the drivers side - that way you life in the little one as the 4 year old sits in a booster and can strap them selves in...sorted

Sharkitect:)

·
Registered
714 Posts
What xpl0d said....I've seen the brochure and features of the new A4 that is coming out and it is styled and designed much similar to the A5. Not saying that the current A4 is not nice, dealers/Audi are pricing the '08's to sell, just that the new '09 A4 platform will be an upgrade.
Having seen plenty of new A4s in the flesh I'd suggest the styling doesn't really look that much different to the existing A4 although it's definitely a larger car. My local dealership had a German import before they were released in the UK (so I wasn't expecting to see one) it took me about 10 mins to realise that what I'd taken to be a meteor grey A6 was actually a new A4. The only reason I finally realised it was a new A4 was because the wheels were those strange new ones where the spokes look twisted.

The brochures and promo pics of the A4 are IMHO a little flattering whereas for the A5 I think they fail to do the car justice. I haven't noticed a single new A4 on UK roads although they've been making deliveries for a couple of months now. This isn't because I haven't seen any, it's just that I haven't noticed them as being any different to the existing A4 or A6.

See a new A4 and an A5 together and it's clear that the A4 is not an A5 with two more doors - it looks far less sporty/aggressive. Even from the rear (which I suggest is the major styling change for the A4) the cars are noticeably different. Although they share the same integrated spoiler, the A5 clearly has "shoulders" which simply don't exist on the A4. None of the photos I've seen show just how pronounced this difference is. The A5 looks quite "squat" - broad, low and erm menacing?

Inside the cars are virtually identical although the A4 has significantly more space, not just in the rear but across the breadth of the car in the front. In a "pepsi challenge" I'll bet most of us would choose the new A4 as the better place to be if we'd not been told what the car was or what it looked like outside (note this is an A4 v A5 comparison, not S5!)

I may have sounded a little critical about the looks of the A4. Don't get me wrong I think both the outgoing A4 and the new one are by far the most stylish cars in their class and as a father of two young boys I have to confess that if the A4 S-line had been out at the time I was ordering my A5 then my decision would have been much harder, particularly as A4s are significantly cheaper on my company car scheme (although the performance of the current 2.0TDI is a bit of a let down).

I'm really glad Audi held back on the launch of the S-line in the UK and made things much easier for me :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree, but still could not bring myself to get the A4 when the A5 looks and drives brilliantly....

The A4 looks a little 'non descript' at times and then tries to make up for it with clever gizmos.

The styling is strong but lacks punch. No reason why other dads with 2 kids and lots of stuff to put in to boot ( about the same in A4 and A5) cant hold back the years with a little more sporty oomf.

A neighbours wife admiringly noted ' nice car - looks like you dont have kids'....

enough said

ps: I love my kids, and then when I get them out the back all the other mums go all gooey, cool car and cute kids......clearly firing on ALL cylinders:)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Truth be told it was my boys (6 and 4) who picked the A5 for me. After lots of agonizing and touring around dealers I was all set for the BMW 325i Coupe but when I announced my decision the boys went "noooooo!".

I guess it's a little sad that I need approval on my decisions from a 4 year old. The kids won't be getting birthday presents this year if it turns out my 1.8T is a dog when it arrives some time in the next week!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
welcome to the forum geordon,

I understand you choosing the A4 since has more space in the back and it's a family car, but why didn't you wait for the new A4? Should be out this fall and it's identical to the A5 with more space.
The A4 is for my wife. She bought a VW New Beetle 3 years ago, then we decided to start a family at the youthful age of 40+, and baby Gessica arrived last summer. Since then, she has been waiting for the VW Tiguan TDI to get here. I was able to persuade her to look at the Audi's, and in the process, saw the A5 for the first time. We were well aware of the increased 5" - 6" length of the B8 A4 vs the B7, but didn't feel we needed the larger car, and I was trying to keep the price down. I doubt we would have gotten an 09 A4 Quattro Tip with a couple of options and extended warranty for under $30K anytime in the near future. Plus, my wife was ready to buy now. For me, the biggest appeal of the Audi A4 exterior is the single frame grill. I didn't give a second thought to the sheet metal.

The A5 will be for me to replace my daily driver ('92 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo). By getting the A4 over another VW, it gets my feet wet in the Audi family, and hopefully, lays the groundwork for a getter deal on the A5, as the dealers I have been to know I will be serious when the time comes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
good choice on the A5 I am sure you enjoy it. Interestingly how does it drive comared to A4?

ps: my wifes car is a 1954 ford....nice:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
good choice on the A5 I am sure you enjoy it. Interestingly how does it drive comared to A4?

ps: my wifes car is a 1954 ford....nice:)
The steering is similar, with a tight turning radius (or so it seems). I think the 3.2L on the A5 has a smoother idle and shift pattern over the 2.0T A4, especially, under moderate to heavy acceleration. Kind of an unfair comparison -- really should compare with the A4 3.2L. Side/blind spot visibility is good in both.

I couldn't really push either one, yet, as my wife doesn't appreciate "rocket launches", as she calls them, nor leaning into the window taking a hard corner. BTW, at the dealer we test drove the A3 and A5 S-line (Delta Audi in Grand Rapids), Rick was very pleasant to work with. He handed me the key, and let us load the baby in the back seat and take the cars out by ourselves to drive where we wanted. Other dealers weren't as accommodating with the A5.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts