Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am faced with an unfortunate problem and I would like to poll some opinions. But first, a quick story:

Not yet three weeks ago I took delivery of my 2009 Phantom Black S5. I was lucky enough to stumble in to a dealer (while actually shopping for a used RS4) who had just received the car in stock. Needless to say, the S5 had my attention from the get-go and, well, the rest is history (RS what?). Driving home from the dealership on delivery day, I was stopped at a red light (it was raining of course, welcome to New York, or is this London?) While still absorbing the majesty that is the S5 interior I felt a sudden jolt forward and soon realized that I had been rear-ended! I hadn’t even made it home from the dealership yet. I mean, come on! The freaking’ paper mats were still on the floor! Luckily, the S5 can take a punch like Rocky Balboa, and although the jolt seemed worse than the damage showed, I was left with four gouges in the right rear bumper just above the trim. On to my question:

I have conflicting opinions on how to repair the bumper. The first body shop I spoke with suggested simply using touch up paint to fill the gouges, which are generally about the size of pencil erasers, with one big one the size of a dime. They are not too deep, maybe the width of a credit card or so. (I would post pictures if it would ever stop raining long enough to get a decent shot). The shop owner told me that no matter what technique he uses to repair the bumper no aftermarket paint job will ever be as resilient at the factory paint. He feared that if I ever took a hit again, the new paint would not only gouge, but also crack and possibly flake. The second repair shop, one that has done excellent work for me in the past, suggested a complete re-spray of the bumper. This makes me a little uneasy given the first opinion.

I am very tempted to mask the chips off, pump a little thinned out touch up paint in to the old Badger 350 airbrush and have at it (paintscratch.com makes it seem pretty simple). Worst I can be left with is having to get the bumper re-sprayed, which is what the second body shop wants to do in the first place.

Any thoughts/suggestions (or at the very least condolences for probably setting the Audi S5 record for first accident after delivery)?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Soldier,
What a terrible story. I'm really sorry.
Meanwhile, N.Y. is a manditory insurance state. You were stopped at a red light and rear ended in a BRAND NEW car. You explain this as though you had some complicity while in fact you were an innocent bystander. According to experts (your body shops) the work will probably not be done in a manner to please you. Ergo--The rearender (or his insurance company) owes you a new bumper painted the proper color. Case closed.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yes you should get a brand new bumper and don't mess with your old one. Insist that the person who crashed into you pay for this because it is a brand new car. I would be floored...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Did you call the police?
Is there a report?
Do you have a statement on a piece of paper signed by the person that they hit you?
Do you have their insurance information?

The car is brand new, you must replace the bumper. If you ever have something else happen to you and the insurance company sees that you have repairs on it, they will not pay to replace it in full. The other person hit you. It is honorable that you want to be the nice guy, but you will get screwed in the future.

Go through insurance, there is less than 1500 in damage so their insurance shouldn't go up, but if they take off that bumper COVER and realize there is more damage behind it, then both of you will be happy you went to insurance.

You can't judge the damage to your vehicle by examining your plastic bumper cover.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident.

You should absolutely go for a brand new bumper. Your car is brand new and the insurance company should pay for it.

In 1999 I had a brand new BMW 328is. About 9 months after I bought it someone tried to break into the car and steal it. They punched a quarter size hole in the driver side door under the keyhole. My insurance company completely covered the cost of a new door and painting/blending to match the vehicle.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses, guys. I found out this week my insurance company apparently already settle the claim for the cost of repairs. Despite their attempt to close out the case I am going to see what I can do about pressing for the new bumper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.