Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has or is anybody considering using a teflon paint sealant that was origially designed for the space shuttle for their A5/S5. My parents have it on their 2008 Toyota Avalon. They live in Florida and get a lot of love bugs that hit the front of the car. The bugs actually come right off by just spraying water on it, dirt wipes right off and also leaves great shine to the car. I live in Arizona and I'm thinking of using it to protect it from the heat and sun. Anybody else have and testimony?

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Don't know anything about it (yet), but would certainly love to hear more about it. I'd definitely consider such an application. Is there a trade/brand name?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Has or is anybody considering using a teflon paint sealant that was origially designed for the space shuttle for their A5/S5. My parents have it on their 2008 Toyota Avalon. They live in Florida and get a lot of love bugs that hit the front of the car. The bugs actually come right off by just spraying water on it, dirt wipes right off and also leaves great shine to the car. I live in Arizona and I'm thinking of using it to protect it from the heat and sun. Anybody else have and testimony?
Yes, that'll be TST 5000 as used on mine. I used to sell this in the UK and posted over the weekend - think it was a thread titled What paint protection? The company are based in Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sealants

There seems to be several different products on the market now that indicate the teflon technology. My parents had their dealer apply the sealant. I've contacted my dealer in Tucson and he stated they offer a product called Finishing Touch. I'm have no information on this product, the dealership will be mailing me info on it. I'll post the info on this product once I recieve the data. You can type in space shuttle auto paint sealant on any search engine to find out info on this product.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Our new member, Joshvette (resident detailing expert), should be able to chime in here and hopefully provide some good input, as he seems to be quite knowledgeable in the area of sealants and paint protection.

Josh, are you out there? :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Our new member, Joshvette (resident detailing expert), should be able to chime in here and hopefully provide some good input, as he seems to be quite knowledgeable in the area of sealants and paint protection.

Josh, are you out there? :)
Hey guys, read this link, it's got more then enough info on Teflon products. I don't want you to just take my word for anything, do a little research and I think you'll be able to draw your own conclusions....

http://autopia.org/forum/search.php?searchid=1999723

Personally, there's a lot of good products out there and when it really comes down to shine....it's aaaaaaallll about the prep work, no if ands or buts. Preperation is key to a superior shine, sealants just seal and protect the shine that's under them. :cool:

I personally haven't used Teflon products, so I have no real experience with them, but I have never heard anything good about them either......maybe why I've never tried them.:rolleyes:

Josh

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Confused

I checked the website Autopia. It seems most people on there are deatailers. There are several blogs on the teflon sealant. Their all stating can you believe these people stating that you don't have to wax your car for a year or ever. None of detailers on the blog have tried or experience this product so it is hard to take their word whether the product is worth it or not. There seems to be one guy who is testing it out, and has just started. Be interesting to know what his results will be. Seems to me that would be the guy I would take my car too. I think these detailers need to test these new products determine the worth or not and inform their customers better. If it is a good product they could offer a better service than dealers could. Just a point. As I said my parents have had their car now for just about a 8 months now and the treatment hasn't degraded. Bugs still fall off with a jet stream.

·
Registered
44 Posts
None of detailers on the blog have tried or experience this product so it is hard to take their word whether the product is worth it or not. There seems to be one guy who is testing it out, and has just started. Be interesting to know what his results will be. Seems to me that would be the guy I would take my car too.

I think these detailers need to test these new products determine the worth or not and inform their customers better. If it is a good product they could offer a better service than dealers could. Just a point.

There's a reason why tons of detailers haven't used the product.....:rolleyes:

Are you willing to pay for all those products to be purchased and time to test them and find out the results?? I don't have the time or money to waste on useless products when I already have the best sitting in my garage.

For you to compare a top notch detailer with a dealership hack is quite an insult and really shows your level of knowledge on the subject....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow

Wow, I guess to detailers there will be no more new products available that will improve the appearance or longevity of the cars paint job. Sorry for my ignorance, I'm just a car ethusiast that's that looking for the best product for the paint job of a car. Thats why the questions was asked. Obviously you read Autopia were everyone stated that they know nothing of this product. So if nobody doesn't know anything about it, it must be baddddd. Car dealerships will obviously say anythng to get you to buy anything beyond the purchase of the car. But your saying detailers have the best product ever, that there will never be any better product than what they are using now. And when new product do come out, detailers don't have the time or money to determine if that product is better for the consumer. Hmm, who is ignorant now?

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
This is a worthy debate with great points being made on both sides, but please watch the personal/ad hominem attacks, guys. We've done very well in avoiding that around here and you're both great contributors!

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is a worthy debate with great points being made on both sides, but please watch the personal/ad hominem attacks, guys. We've done very well in avoiding that around here and you're both great contributors!
Gotch ya.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow, I guess to detailers there will be no more new products available that will improve the appearance or longevity of the cars paint job. Sorry for my ignorance, I'm just a car ethusiast that's that looking for the best product for the paint job of a car. Thats why the questions was asked. Obviously you read Autopia were everyone stated that they know nothing of this product. So if nobody doesn't know anything about it, it must be baddddd. Car dealerships will obviously say anythng to get you to buy anything beyond the purchase of the car. But your saying detailers have the best product ever, that there will never be any better product than what they are using now. And when new product do come out, detailers don't have the time or money to determine if that product is better for the consumer. Hmm, who is ignorant now?
okay, without attacking, do you know how many product lines of car care products are out there???........ waaaaaaayyyy too many to count and I don't have the time or money to try them all out just cause they claim to be better then the next guy. I've tried out quite a few in the last 10 years and I've found certain products to stand head and shoulders above the other "good" products. With that being said, I may try out a new product here and their, but only to see if it beats out my known champs, which I've yet to find. (Dealerships buy the cheapest crap they can get their hands on, so comparing top quality to a dealership is just not apples to apples, how many dealerships you ever hear of using Zaino, or Menzerna or Rejex or Optimum or 303?)

There's so many great products out, it's just impossible to know them all and try them all, when it comes down to it, prep work (wash, clay, polish out defects) is really what it comes down too.

If I use a LSP (last step product) that protects for 6 months and someone else uses a LSP that protects for 3 months and we both reseal and wax our cars every 2 months then who's is better?? They will both be equally effective even though if let go the one will outlast the other? Does that make sense?

Just too much out there to try it all and if I never hear anything good about Teflon and only hear negative about it, I'm not even going to give it the time of day. Teflon is made for extreme heats that you'll never see on your car. You can try it though and let everyone know what you think.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks

Being in Iraq can get to you and you tend to lash out being over here. I subscribed to Consumer Reports for their testing of waxes. I will find a good detailer in Tucson when I get home and pick up my car. Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Being in Iraq can get to you and you tend to lash out being over here. I subscribed to Consumer Reports for their testing of waxes. I will find a good detailer in Tucson when I get home and pick up my car. Thanks.
I've been doing some searching for a quality detailer in AZ, but coming up short, I'll keep searching, there's got to be someone there, I'll let you know what I find....

Make it home safely, thanks for serving your country. (I'm assuming you're in the Military) my dad did over 20 years in the AF.:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. No, I'm a contractor teaching the Army and Navy to fly unmanned air vehicles. Lots of fun and saving lifes. Thanks again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks. No, I'm a contractor teaching the Army and Navy to fly unmanned air vehicles. Lots of fun and saving lifes. Thanks again.
I've got two leads for you with detailers in AZ, when are you coming home so I can let them know? I'm still waiting to get there personal info to pass along to you....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, I don't get home until the 15th of October and hoping to pick the car up the next day. Thanks again, would like to get it detailed quickly. The Audi dealership a protection called Finishing Touch. That is why I asked this question. Sounds like a good detailer would be the best. Thanks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts