Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may know that I had my car on a 4 wheel driving road earlier in the year,the results were very good 267bhp & 403lbs of torque.A simple plug in tuning box gave these results,mpg has improved,currently averaging 49.5mpg according to computer 2.No side affects whatsover (9,000 miles) since fitting it in January.The car was fast before,but acceleration is now much improved.
I have aquired a few of these for friends/relatives,all positive results:)
These boxes are made in Italy,excellent build quality,even adjustable,using original Audi connectors,they are plug and play.I can fit and remove in under 2 minutes!! No cutting/soldering of wires,fits inline with original fuel rail connector.
To get a good price I need at least 10 orders,I have to import these so expecting to pay import duty/taxes/postage costs.If I can get 10 firm orders price should be about £160ish delivered to your door(first class secure recorded delivery)
I think for the money these are a bargain,the rolling road operator could not believe the difference it made (we tried several runs with it on and off)
Any qusetions? just ask... Mal..

·
Registered
821 Posts
I think that may be the Rail Pressure Tuning box Sanspeed have put in mine as a temp measure till the Full Re-Map is ready..... the results on mine are great so far ..... but can't wait for the Propper Re-Map :D

deano

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The make is "engine power digital tuning" slightly smaller than a *** box,long black insulated lead,you can not even see it when fitted,they tell me this model also works on the 2.7TDI.
I had a digital boost gauge fitted to see if turbo boost was increased,IT IS NOT,mine peaks at 21psi with or with out the box fitted,I can only assume the improvements are made through fueling and timing.

Mal..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi,

We can offer the KOCH Tuning Module which gave a maximum of 272 bhp and 423 lb/ft. It also benefits from a 4 way map switch, so you can have for example:
Map 1 - Standard power
Map 2 - Maximum Power
Map 3 - Fuel economy
Map 4 - Towing

The normal price is £499.00 including VAT, but I could offer them to members for £250 programmed to your needs including delivery and VAT.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Is that the one you have put on mine Graham - A very Good Price if it is !!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sounds just like the Tunit box on my 3.0 TDi at the moment. Combined with the Milltek exhaust it is significantly more swift than the standard car (I recently removed the box when the car went to the dealer for work, so the comparison is fresh in my mind).

I too am interested in seeing how the Tunit compares against a 'full' remap...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Can I assume it's a box that any of us can fit/remove if need be!!
i.e no special tools or knowledge.

Sounds like good value.

I'm assuming the proper remap may mean another +20bhp?????
or perhaps I'm just guessing wildly.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I watched them put mine in, very simple indeed, I think it was unclip 1 connection and clip in 2 Job Done... Do up a couple of cable ties and job done (It did go in and out alot of times on mine while they were finding the ideal settings) :cool:

the ideal settings have now been stored i believe.... the results even on this are superb, as for the Power of the 'Full' re-map so many figures are being tossed about, i've seen total increase predictions from 40 to 80 increase (Mine with this was 35 (237 to 272)) so anyones guess at the moment !!!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Be aware, these Tuning boxes just increase rail (it means fuel) pressure.
It can be dangerous for your injection system.

But it is up to you.;)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Be aware, these Tuning boxes just increase rail (it means fuel) pressure.
It can be dangerous for your injection system.

But it is up to you.;)
But am i not right in saying Chip tuning also alters ignition timing, injector opening time, fuel rail pressure, boost, etc. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
But am i not right in saying Chip tuning also alters ignition timing, injector opening time, fuel rail pressure, boost, etc. :rolleyes:
Yes, but, using powerbox, for the same power, I think, you must increase fuel rail pressure much more.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I would of thought that for a 'Tuning Engineer' to get the BEST out of Chip Tuning, they would be increasing Rail pressure as much as a tuning box, accompanied with the alterations to ignition timing, injector opening time and boost, etc. giving the Chip Tuning the Better increase that is accustomed with this way of increasing power/efficiency..... if they don't, i think they are missing one hell of a trick ;)

Could these boxs cause problems to the fuel rail, i think it is no more likely than Chip tuning would, or lowered suspension damaging your car, or fitting a spanking new sound system being dangerous for your car wiring.......

Come on.... Chip Tuning altering your ignition Timing and injector opening times :eek:

i guess that choice was up to you ;)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yes, I have made my choice.

I have tried both, first I had Powerbox from Germany (I still have it somewhere in my garage) and now I have real chiptuning.

You can have programmed the same rail fuel pressure with chiptuning, as powerbox has and you can get BEST (as you said), but you would get as much power and torque, your clutch, crankshaft and connecting rods could be damaged in few miles.
With powerbox, your ECU does not have right information about rail fuel pressure, ECU "thinks" there is lower rail pressure, than it really is.
Also your average consumption in bord computer will be really optimistic (you can try measure consumption from full tank to full tank (I don't know if this is right english, but I hope You understand what I mean)).:D

I don't want to change your decision, I just let know my experiences and plus and contra. Maybe it can help somebody to choose ...

·
Registered
821 Posts
Don't get me wrong... I am having a full Chip Tune myself (once it's ready), i just don't see the point of trying to put people off tuner box's just because they are inferior to a chiptune, they do what they say on the box, and for some people it is the right choice to have a tuning Box :)

deano

·
Registered
292 Posts
Don't get me wrong... I am having a full Chip Tune myself (once it's ready), i just don't see the point of trying to put people off tuner box's just because they are inferior to a chiptune, they do what they say on the box, and for some people it is the right choice to have a tuning Box :)
Completely agree it's up to what the individual wants:

Tuning box = moderate gains, moderate price, easily removed (hardware)
Chiptune = higher gains, higher price, not so easily removed (software)

The Tuning Boxes are simply fuel re-mapping devices. If you imagine the remap as a spreadsheet - X = throttle position Y = revs. Each cell is an adjustment to the standard map in the ecu, which can be: leave as-is, increase by a factor or decrease by a factor. Whether these can damage your car is down to how well the re-map is written, and I assume that most reputable tuning boxes will have safe and generic re-maps. What interests me is having the ability to adjust the maps for power & economy as Graham said about the Koch units. Are there buttons on the unit to do this? I remember reading about one that came with a remote control.

Tuning boxes are popular with motorcyclists. I have one called a Powercommander. I did a before and after dyno and achieved 10% power gain and 15% improved fuel economy, along with much smoother power delivery. But that was down to the skill of the tuner who wrote a custom map for me. It's been on the bike for 4 years with no problems at all. :)

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.