Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Do you support the tanker driver's strike?

• No, they're money-grabbing, greedy b*stards whose strike only inconveniences everyone.

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Yes, Shell are greedy and should share their record profits with their (contracted) employees.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Yes, but only on the grounds of trying to reduce fuel taxes.

Votes: 3 20.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surprised that this hasn't been raised so far on this forum.

Basically, do you support the tanker drivers strike? I've included a vote to see if you agree with what they're actually striking over (better pay) or not, or whether you would support them if it was purely about the high fuel prices/taxes we have to pay.

So, are they justified in what they are doing? They haven't had a rise in their basic pay for 15 years (why haven't they been on strike before?!), but have had massive increases to their overtime pay. That said, their overtime is limited by law because they can't drive more than 90 hours over 2 weeks by law, so what they can potentially earn has gone down in real terms since the early 90s when they were directly employed by Shell.

However...

They earn far more as a tanker driver than as an HGV driver shifting clothes or sandwiches for Tescos. Apparently this is because it's a dangerous job - as evidenced by the number of tanker drivers killed or injured as a result of their rigs exploding (err, that would be none then...) If you want a dangerous job then sign up as a Private in the Army and head off to Afghanistan where you can be shot at, blown up by a suicide bomber or shelled in your tent, over 100 have now been killed, and you can earn less than half what you're on now as a glorified lorry driver...:eek:

(You can probably gather which way I'm leaning here...)

The other problem I have with this strike is that the drivers who are on strike are contracted to Shell through a sub-contractor to deliver fuel to Shell forecourts. In that case, why has my local Tescos, Asda, Morrisons and BP all run out of fuel? The driver's dispute is with Shell and Shell alone.

If a tanker driver is contracted by Tesco to deliver fuel to a Tesco garage but refuses to cross the picket lines to collect fuel from the depot, then he (or she) is breaking the law, pure and simple, and should be sacked. Equally the law is pretty clear about encouraging others not involved in your dispute to go on strike, so those on strike who ask non-Shell contracted drivers to observe their strike are also breaking the law and are therefore opening themselves up to being sacked.

The bottom line is that the driver's dispute is only about pay. They have turned down a pay offer of nearly 7% and this is an obscenely large pay rise in this current financial climate as it is. The tanker drivers have little sympathy with the UK public and should settle as soon as possible and stop inconveniencing the entire population of the UK over a few hundred pounds per year for no more than 600 lorry drivers. This is totally out of proportion.

Rant over.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I agree I have no symapthy for these folks when professional people such as Nurses and the constabulary (the few there are) are not very well paid for what they do yet they never strike. I know the lawer cannot strike but how quickly would the government cave in if all the Nurses went on strike (if they are able to). I think if it was in protest to the high prices of petrol I would perhaps be on their side although it would be an pain in the arris but it would be a statement to the gov about the high costs.

It has never really bothered me what other people earn or dont earn because as long as I am happy with my lot then thats all I care about, at the end of the day there is only one person thats sets their/your alarm clock to get up at whatever time and go to work wherever that may be for the pay that you took the job for. If the pay is that bad and the working conditions that bad f*cking leave its really that simple.

As I said earlier if it was protest about prices I can live with that what I dont like is having my way of life p*ssed about with because someone thinks they are hard done by in their job and thus so make other people suffer.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the pay is that bad and the working conditions that bad f*cking leave its really that simple.
Absolutely - 15 years without a pay rise and you're still working for the same company? Give me a break! If things were that bad then as PP says, you'd have left years ago!

It also goes to show that there actually is a group of people in this country who can misjudge public opinion worse than the current government...:eek::D:D:D

·
Registered
165 Posts
It also goes to show that there actually is a group of people in this country who can misjudge public opinion worse than the current government...:eek::D:D:D[/QUOTE]

LMHO..

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I think the opportuity to earn £42k for a part skilled job is rediculous. it took me a degree and 10 years of career climbing to earn that much.

What's worse, they are holding the British public to ransome, NOT Shell, who will relish the inflated prices when the supply is restored.

I think they should be sacked for mis-conduct.

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
They havn't had an increase in pay? Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it LAW that pay should be increased by at least that of inflation? In that case, that would have happened.

If that hasn't happened then I support them. But if they have had annual increases every year to match the country's inflation, then they have no right to dispute pay.

If they entered into a job for a certain salary, then that's they're fault. Go find another job.

It really pisses me off when people strike because of pay, because they know fine well what they're getting before they enter into the employment contract.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I pulled into a shell station yesterday and the only pumps not dry were the V-Power ones, no bother there then ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.