1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
779 Posts
I've seen the CR-15 over at Audizine, the other two are new to me. I can't really see how you can go wrong with either as they all do the same job. Whether you'd notice any difference in anything other than really spirited driving is a different matter.

I guess the main difference is how the CR-15 mounts up behind the first firewall and out of sight as opposed to the other two's more traditional strut mounting spot.

Regards

·
Registered
110 Posts
The CR15 and similar strut braces will do very little for our cars. They were really made for the A4 where the strut brace is just a flimsy bit of metal. It makes a massive difference on that car.

Ours is the proper deal. It's only held on by 4 nuts so I suggest take it off and see, it's pretty beefy as it is.

The ECS and 034 subframe braces do not fit our right hand drive cars. Don't try it, it won't work. Because of where the steering box is. It's got an extra bit of room on the RHD subframes. Only option is to make your own subframe or reinforce it. I'm in the process of doing so but I don't really feel like sharing that just yet.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen the CR-15 over at Audizine, the other two are new to me. I can't really see how you can go wrong with either as they all do the same job. Whether you'd notice any difference in anything other than really spirited driving is a different matter.

I guess the main difference is how the CR-15 mounts up behind the first firewall and out of sight as opposed to the other two's more traditional strut mounting spot.

Regards
Id rather have it on show, if you look at my picture you'll see why ;)

I have the CR-15 on my S5. It made a little bit of difference. Well worth the money - no complaints.
However, this will make a more noticeable difference: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-034motorsport-parts/x-brace-billet-aluminum-chassis-reinforcement/034-603-0008~034/
You may want to try a rear sway bar too.
Thats good to hear, however i think im still leaning towards the omp racining one. im getting some new roll bars over christmas but again still undecided on brand!

The CR15 and similar strut braces will do very little for our cars. They were really made for the A4 where the strut brace is just a flimsy bit of metal. It makes a massive difference on that car.

Ours is the proper deal. It's only held on by 4 nuts so I suggest take it off and see, it's pretty beefy as it is.

The ECS and 034 subframe braces do not fit our right hand drive cars. Don't try it, it won't work. Because of where the steering box is. It's got an extra bit of room on the RHD subframes. Only option is to make your own subframe or reinforce it. I'm in the process of doing so but I don't really feel like sharing that just yet.
So do you think the OMP or ultra racing one would be better Timber?

thats interresting i didnt they that they do not fit RHD cars! making you own sounds very interresting, now youve said it i have a good idea to how to make a stronger one id be interrested to know your ideas - i've got two weeks off over christmas so i've got plenty of time to make one and plenty of resources where i work to make them.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Nice build, hydro wrap under the bonnet?

All Xenonz body kits you've got fitted? How you like the side skirts and the blade underneath?

Regards

·
Registered
517 Posts
Unless I am missing something it looks like the OMP brace is only held on with one nut, not very good for rigidity ?
At least the Ultra Racing offering is held on with all of the strut nuts.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So do you think the OMP or ultra racing one would be better Timber?
Neither the CR-15, OMP one or ultra racing will give much if any benefit on our A5s.

I've got several things going on at the moment, but one of my friends is a mechanical engineer and he's given some excellent advice. I'll try and get something together in the new year. :)

The additional reinforcement on the RS5 subframe brace do very little, ECS tested both the stock one and the RS5 and they flexed the same, well, they said that anyway. It's in their best interest to say that. However I do believe the RS5 subframe brace is slightly better but it needs much more doing to it to make it as stiff or better then the alu kreuz.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Did you end up reinforcing strut brace. I'm after a solution for rhd. Also cr15 version too.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Did you end up reinforcing strut brace. I'm after a solution for rhd. Also cr15 version too.
I'm in the process of making the strut bar available for sale. I have the prototype on my car at the moment. Getting the materials at the moment is a bit difficult at the moment, but watch this space. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm in the process of making the strut bar available for sale. I have the prototype on my car at the moment. Getting the materials at the moment is a bit difficult at the moment, but watch this space. :)
Any idea when it will be roughly available. Are you making version of alu kreuz for right hand drive and a version of cr15?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Any idea when it will be roughly available. Are you making version of alu kreuz for right hand drive and a version of cr15?
I'm making a version of the CR-15, the upper top brace. The lower brace is a whole other ball game. Awesome GTI had them on offer for £300 odd quid, but now back at about £1000!!

The other option is welding extra metal bars into the stock bottom brace as a member has done on here.

I'll check out to see if I can get materials in and get back to you! :) (y)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm making a version of the CR-15, the upper top brace. The lower brace is a whole other ball game. Awesome GTI had them on offer for £300 odd quid, but now back at about £1000!!

The other option is welding extra metal bars into the stock bottom brace as a member has done on here.

I'll check out to see if I can get materials in and get back to you! :) (y)
Chop Chop, customers waiting ?

Glad I jumped on the 034 X brace price slash at Awesome before it got spotted/returned to normal.

We wait patiently on your offering @Dave Kwatro

I guess it will be a bare metal piece?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Chop Chop, customers waiting ?

Glad I jumped on the 034 X brace price slash at Awesome before it got spotted/returned to normal.

We wait patiently on your offering @Dave Kwatro

I guess it will be a bare metal piece?
ha ha! :D

I have contacted the guy who I got my T6 ally tube from and will wait for his reply. Hoping I can get the nuts, tubing etc confirmed by the end of the week, then I can start knocking them out as I have the tooling for it now.

I was going to paint them in textured black plasticote, to match the plastic scuttle cover, but if you'd prefer bare aluminium? could even polish it!? Or paint in a different colour, but if I start doing different finishes, it would be an optional extra cost. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
ha ha! :D

I have contacted the guy who I got my T6 ally tube from and will wait for his reply. Hoping I can get the nuts, tubing etc confirmed by the end of the week, then I can start knocking them out as I have the tooling for it now.

I was going to paint them in textured black plasticote, to match the plastic scuttle cover, but if you'd prefer bare aluminium? could even polish it!? Or paint in a different colour, but if I start doing different finishes, it would be an optional extra cost. :)
Black would suit me absolutely perfect

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Black would suit me absolutely perfect

smooth Matt black or textured black? Textured is slightly more expensive, but more appeasing for looks than std matt black, don't you think? May do some finish testing!

Order just gone through for the T6 aluminium, so get the fixings and paints, then fire up the press drill. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
smooth Matt black or textured black? Textured is slightly more expensive, but more appeasing for looks than std matt black, don't you think? May do some finish testing!

Order just gone through for the T6 aluminium, so get the fixings and paints, then fire up the press drill. :)
I'm with you on textured.

Do you have pics of your prototype?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts