Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, i just got done with a SQ (Sound Quality..... not a tub thumper with the ridiculous bass, just good and clear reproduction) in my S5.

Hope yall like it.

PS- I'll get some more pics up of more "general" views ASAP but these were all i have on the computer at the moment and was anxious to get them up. -enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
some more

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
more

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and more

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and the final for now

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
considering the amount of money you spent
the head unit looks really cheap in the way its mounted
was there no way to retain the original unit and just get line outs to the new amps?
and why did they trash your car so much?
look at the amount of dust on the car
doesn't look like a reputable store that did that

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
considering the amount of money you spent
the head unit looks really cheap in the way its mounted
was there no way to retain the original unit and just get line outs to the new amps?
and why did they trash your car so much?
look at the amount of dust on the car
doesn't look like a reputable store that did that

First, the head unit panel is being redone, however, that is one of the top sound quality head units available. As for the line out, you loose quality (we ran all new RCA's and speaker wires for better SQ aswell), the stock MMI is wired in as the AUX to the head so i still have full use of it.

Second, the dust is from MDF board (unfortunately its bay was close to the table saw) , it is very messy to cut and is disgustingly dusty, the car was air dusted everyday(I went to the shop everyday as well), its just the nature of the install bay beast.

thirdly, upon second glance, youre right about that pic... it really does not look very good but it is being fixed.

thanks,
charles

·
Registered
479 Posts
Thanks for sharing, a lot of work went into this. With the angle of some of the pics, it's hard to tell what ended up where. I like the work on the trunk lid, looks really nice.

You've obviously gotten rid of the spare. Did you relocate the battery as well? And there's still full access to the side compartments in the rear where the Navi stuff is on the driver side and the fuse stuff is on the passenger side?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Also how much of the original rear deck was saved, or was it completely cut out and replaced for the 3 subwoofer arrangement?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for sharing, a lot of work went into this. With the angle of some of the pics, it's hard to tell what ended up where. I like the work on the trunk lid, looks really nice.

You've obviously gotten rid of the spare. Did you relocate the battery as well? And there's still full access to the side compartments in the rear where the Navi stuff is on the driver side and the fuse stuff is on the passenger side?
Yup the spare had to go, the battery is in the same location and yes the compartments are still fully accessible (but sueded now! :D)

As for the pics they are all i have on this computer at the moment and i was anxious to get them up so ill be sure to update with better ones ASAP

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also how much of the original rear deck was saved, or was it completely cut out and replaced for the 3 subwoofer arrangement?
The rear deck is now totally custom, however, i matched the material so it is virtually unnoticeable. My goal was to have a ridiculous truck and a almost 100% stock appearance in the cabin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's one hell of an install, congrats on getting it done. A few questions:

Did you have the B&O system? What are your thoughts on aftermarket with and without the B&O? I'm currently contemplating the B&O for the extra OEM speaker locations so I can reuse them with higher quality speakers and more/better amps while retaining the OEM look. Think the B&O is worth it for this? (I would not be changing out the MMI or stock source unless it was totally incompatible).

A break down of the parts involved would be great too.

Thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Sfumph, thanks for sharing this and welcome to the site! I'd be interested in checking this out in person. ccompton, sizzle (when he's in town), and I meet up regularly on Saturday mornings. (I'll send you a PM with details.) Both have Phantom Black S5s.

I'm sure sizzle, in particular, would be interested in checking this out as he was planning to install a new sub. Obviously you took things just a bit further, though. :D Your trunk looks like it's got that show car look to it for sure!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Jeez why is there so much hating on this install? Just appreciate the effort and thought that went behind this, he's not asking anyone else to do it as well.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Excellent effort. Looks very good/ no doubt you like you music and are proud to have had it done. Takes guts and balls to do a job like that on a premium car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's one hell of an install, congrats on getting it done. A few questions:

Did you have the B&O system? What are your thoughts on aftermarket with and without the B&O? I'm currently contemplating the B&O for the extra OEM speaker locations so I can reuse them with higher quality speakers and more/better amps while retaining the OEM look. Think the B&O is worth it for this? (I would not be changing out the MMI or stock source unless it was totally incompatible).

A break down of the parts involved would be great too.

Thank you for sharing!

Hey, the B&O system was in place, however, it really does not sound like anything special (the mids and highs are very harsh, the mid bass is almost non existent, and the sub woofer is the exact same speaker as the 8inch door speakers. Furthermore, the center channel in the B&O system is not a true center, it is simply a 2inch tweeter. Finally for the number of speaker it incorporates, it really does not get very loud), However for what you're suggesting (which is the same as my thought process was...more OEM speakers=more aftermarket), the extra speaker locations it is somewhat impractical, this is so because the extra speaker in the dash are so small that only tweeters can fit there, (even though B&O claims that they are mids) if i did it over i would not have spent the money on the B&O.

As for the MMI, i did replace the stock CD player with a pioneer headunit, the pioneer is only used in competitions and for CD's, i had the shop make the MMI system be the AUX setting on the pioneer so i still have the full functionality of the MMI and can enjoy it through the system.

PARTS LIST:)

-Amps
-Arc Audio SE4000...bass amp (big one behind the rear seat)
-Arc Audio Se4100 (x4 in the trunk) ...mids and highs amp
-Speakers
-Hybrid audio mids and highs, Legatia series (FRONT= 8in woofer in the door, 4in mid in the kick panel, tweeter in stock location, no speakers in the dash)
-Subs
-T3 Audio 10in T.S.S. series sub woofers (x3)
-Headunit
-Pioneer AVH-P7800DVD
-Sound Processor(s)
-Rockford Fosgate 360.2 (x2)
-Batteries
-Kinetik power cells (x4)
-100lbs of Second Skin sound deadener.

And 8 weeks of careful installation, all wires are color coded and hand loomed. The RCA's are also custom made.

·
Registered
29 Posts
???

Why didn't you just buy a Honda? This takes away from the integrity of the S5, there are a lot of other cars that are well suited for this type of system. To pimping' IMO, nonetheless nice work..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts