Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Where did you get the Stasis bar from? And how recently did you purchase this?

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I just orders my H&R front sway bar and look forward to tryint this out...
Seems strange to purchase a front only as the general problem with the S5 is clearly understeer.

Do you already have a rear one? If so I hope it's also H&R or you'll most likely have a huge imbalance.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Seems strange to purchase a front only as the general problem with the S5 is clearly understeer.

Do you already have a rear one? If so I hope it's also H&R or you'll most likely have a huge imbalance.
Yes, thanks for asking but ageed .. IThey will both be h&r..

thanks spinner

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Yes, thanks for asking but ageed .. IThey will both be h&r..

thanks spinner
Yw, as I read it general consenus (amongst most in the know on this forum) is that rear is worthy but front not so much so. Here's the most recent discussion on the matter... http://www.a5oc.com/forums/s5-performance-mods/18184-sway-bars-worthwhile.html

Do you already have rear fitted and find you need the front as well? If so what has caused you to believe the front is required?

Personal I'm concerned I could ruin the reasonably nice balance I already have from correct setup of coilovers therefore this is one of the few mods I'm holding back on. For me the info still seems to be bit hit and miss so keen to continue to hear yours / others experiences and opinions.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yw, as I read it general consenus (amongst most in the know on this forum) is that rear is worthy but front not so much so. Here's the most recent discussion on the matter... http://www.a5oc.com/forums/s5-performance-mods/18184-sway-bars-worthwhile.html

Do you already have rear fitted and find you need the front as well? If so what has caused you to believe the front is required?

Personal I'm concerned I could ruin the reasonably nice balance I already have from correct setup of coilovers therefore this is one of the few mods I'm holding back on. For me the info still seems to be bit hit and miss so keen to continue to hear yours / others experiences and opinions.
Will know soon enough... I revieved the sway bars at a good price so I didnt want to turn it down.. I really dont know whats best but I have them and weant to try them out in front. I asked on another thread about settings and wanted to know the best practice on sway barsa and settings. Whats best for front and rear in terms of settings on stiffness.. Both same? tighter in rear?(lol).... best experience would be helpful...

·
Registered
5 Posts
There’s so little facts on the H&R so here it is: I ordered the H&R front and rear swaybars, they arrived yesterday and I had time to fit the rear only today and took it for a test drive. HUGE DIFFERENCE. It’s hugely improved the bad body roll that I was wanting to correct and has completely removed the under steer. The car obviously now has oversteer characteristics since it’s only the rear H&R fitted at this stage. I’ll fit the front over the next few days and report back on the final result but I’m optimistic after feeling the initial result and am expecting it to tighten up the body roll even further and neutralise the new oversteer for a perfect ride.

Happy to say that ride comfort has significantly improved from the fact that while the car is still just as soft over bumps with no degrading of ride quality, it also no longer throws me sideways when cornering.

By the way, who said that installation is easy? It’s not, it’s a frustrating pain in the ass trying to fit a longer swaybar with pretensionsed endlinks through suspension parts and in to place. At one point I thought I wouldn’t be able to get it in to place, but it’s possible, just gotta fiddle with it. (This would not be a problem if you had aftermarket end links that could still swivel post-tensioning)

I also love the bushes that are obviously way improved over factory and that the H&R do not require regular lubricating.

To respond to any doubts over the thickness of the H&R bars, we all know that thickness on its own is not an indicator of swaybar tightness. I’ve compared the H&R rear swaybar with the factory rear swaybar and the H&R is thicker by a little but SIGNIFICANTLY heavier. This is obviously due to the differences in structural (solid vs hollow)/material differences between the two bars. So yes, the H&R rear bar is much tighter than stock and more than counters the under steer. So far very happy with the initial result. Will update again after the full install!

One last thing: if I had my time again I would have ordered the aftermarket end links also instead of reusing the stock ones. This would have greatly simplified the installation and after seeing the stock bushes and the role they play in the setup, I can see how bad they are compared to aftermarket. This all comes down the freedom of movement, although longevity is another benefit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep, front bar fitted set to the softer outer setting. Front bar installation is a piece of cake. Handles amazingly. Body roll completely neutralised. Comfort is great. The oversteer that was present after only the rear bar was installed is now neutralised. Would recommend.

Just remember that if you’re installing these and using the factory end-links, you need to torque them up with the weight of the car on the wheels hence require ramps/lift, not a jack / jack stands. This does not apply if you use the aftermarket end-links. I assume that this is because the aftermarket end-links can still swivel their position after tensioning, the factory ones cannot.

Hope this helps for anyone thinking of installing sway bars. I personally think that the understeer and body roll on our B8s is their worst aspect. If you‘re into cars and you have a B8 then you can’t live without these.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts