Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
You guys are just beginners on the track? I'd like to do that one day. Not the hardcore stuff, but just to learn the tricks. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Crisp - I know you said that lady in the Q5 ruined your day, but sounds to me like she forced you to focus on your technique on run 2, which helped you kick-a** on your third run.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Actually I was there also and the lady in the Q did cause quite a clog which did not allow the faster cars one of which was Crisp another me to really get the speed that was needed to learn apex in and track out. It is quite simple to control your car at 65 mph but coming out of the "bowl" into the straightaway was where you could (if you had room) get your car to get FAST but with slower moving cars and people who would not recognize your presence it made it difficult to keep your car moving fast enough to learn how to position your car at great speed.There was a lot of leraning in a short time and the track time was sufficient but some of the groups made it hard to get the room needed to work out your own shortcomings.As far as the sways, I feel that the GMG's were great and held up nicely what I wish I had gotten around to was the coilovers---NEXT Time I will be set up properly.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Damn you guys stop Modding your cars... I'm always one step behind... maybe 2...

Deepseatleblue. Hpde events are high performance drivers education events. They will split you up based on experience level and with an instructor will learn a ton. Definitely recommend it if you can find one in your area.

·
Registered
714 Posts
almostS50 - Ahh, I see. Well then that sucks that the lady wasn't playing nice with the rest of the field.

bhk1004 - I know there are some tracks around here. I'm not quite ready to give it a go yet. Too much other things (non-car related) I want to take care of first.

FYI, I have the Stasis rear bar. But I don't push the car hard (thus wanting to take a DE). I have Drive Select and just wanted the car lowered. I went with Stasis for the warranty sake. The sway bar just came with the package.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Oh yeah, and I'd love to take one of those winter driving schools with the A5 too. But that would probably have to be out of town somewhere.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Deep Seattle bhk is 100% correct I didn't get a chance to see him run, actually his wife was in our run group but I did see his car run as well as Crisp and from our collective experience all I can say is this car can be pushed far more than any of us are capable of pushing it. I am sure that bhk and crisp will both attest to this, I was thoroughly impressed with the way we got on our cars lap after lap revving up and downshifting into a hard turn and back to revving up again and then a 3 1/2 hour ride home and all my car seem to need was a good wash.If you can find an event treat yourself it is a load of fun and there is a wealth of info that could be quite useful in a pinch.

·
Registered
537 Posts
^ you are right sir.

Seattle, go to a hpde, you won't regret it. This acna event was a fraction of the cost of some other driving courses I've attended and I learned much more than with the other programs. Join acna or another car club and look on motorsportreg.com for avavilable track days. Can guarantee you won't regret it. Then again, the guys from the forum coming along made it that much more fun.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Sound like you had fun! How did you tyres and brakes handle today guys?

I was on a track day last weekend, after 45 mins on what was a tight track my brakes blued and tyres went off. I have KW coilovers and RS Bembro's on the front with braided lines using dot blue brake fluid. When I say brakes faded I even manged to get the rears to blue LOL. What was impressive was that both tyre and brakes went within a few corners of each other which although there is some understeer suggests the balance is just about perfect, it certainly felt that way! In addition to this twice I've had ex pro racing drivers take my car on the track and both have without prompting commented on how well balanced the car is considering it's weight.

I've been following the recent threads re swaybars and contemplating if they really are a worthwhile investment for me. After bfmtww's great explination earlier in this thread I have to say I'm coming to the conclusing I can't see how they'll really benefit the A/S5 but I'm open to anyone explaining how that's not the case.

I certainly agree the car understeers but it's certainly not dramatic, in fact I'd go as far as stating on track it actually benefits when learning where the limit of the car is. Also as stated above when taking everything into account my car is already well balanced. Sure tightening up the rear could mke it more fun but only if whats left of the traction control (having turned it off as much as audi system allows) still doesn't kick in and restrict which I experienced on a couple of occassions last weekend. Even if this doesn't happen ultimately this is still a heavy car and logic suggests making the rear tighter can only mean it becoming ligher and therefore slower cornering until I become a MUCH better driver on the track. Then your onto having to counteract the rear tyres going off quicker. Perhaps this falls into line with what your instructor was putting across to you Crisp?

Would appreciate any views and advice.

BTW, any pics or vids of your day?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Exactly the way I felt Spinner. The car was very well balanced, even when I managed to push hard. I would have to improve much more before needing this upgrade. But let's see what happens on the next one. I had stock brakes and dot 5 fluid. Some fade toward the end of my third run, but this was the largest turnout acna ever had for a track event and we had plenty of cool down time between run groups. Almosts50 has a bbk front and slotted rotors rear. He was hauling too, so maybe can provide more insight. Pes will post pics on the us east thread here. On az, the rsw shop life thread will have pics.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Thanks Crisp, sounds like on the road for feel only its might ve a worthy investment. However on the track it'll most likely be a hindrance and its certainly going to take more than a few sessions to make me that good a driver that reducing grip increases lap times LOL.

After how badly my brakes went off I spoke to both MRC and APS regarding a possible pad upgrade as I thought I might gain but they inform me they'll next to nothing in it. I think the answer is heavy car + heavy braking = hot brakes and there's no getting.g away from this so the answer is to keep to 15-20 min sessions with plenty of cool down time.

Who did you guys meet from PES?

Look forward to the pics ;)

·
Registered
537 Posts
not sure who it was with the s/c s4. young guy, i believe was the owner. he was running in the black group. only guys from a tuner company i met were the rsw guys. they are installing apr s/c's at their shop. let's see what happens with my tax return this year ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
sounds like on the road for feel only its might ve a worthy investment. However on the track it'll most likely be a hindrance and its certainly going to take more than a few sessions to make me that good a driver that reducing grip increases lap times LOL.
Correct, you got the right idea. Driver mod > Car mod

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
regards to the brake pads. Call porterfield. you can look them up online. they can recommend you a track only pad that will probably work well for you that you can just slap on before you hit the track that will end up giving you more life and brake time if you are heating it up alot more than you would like with just street pads that you have now. street pads/track pads, a world of difference under constant hard braking. oh another cool thing about these guys, is if they dont have your specific brake pads in stock, they can cut you a set of pads that will fit your specific BBK. check out Raybestos st-41 or st-43, not very well known but people that have used them seem to rave about them.

would like to mention that for you spinner you also do have a fully adjustable coilover setup that can probably dial out the nose dive by itself... thats why you wont notice as much of an understeer. the people that are REALLY whining and stuff about the understeer are people that have COMPLETELY stock suspensions. As I dont plan on switching out my springs or shocks, this was perfect way for me to dial out all the understeer.

·
Registered
537 Posts
in regards to my opinion on the sways, i have some upgrades that may be affecting my perception, so it is only right to explain:

1. 20x10 wheels and 295/25 uhp tires all around.
2. eibach springs
3. ads, this is a factory option, but still relevant. used dynamic setting in adaptive drive, which stiffens the dampers.

now bhk can proceed to cry about his understeer.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Yep I think you're right, track pads are going to be a definate for me in the future. As is an additional set of light weight wheels with R888 tyres. At least then I can swap out for track days and not put ridiculous wear and tear on my road set up.

I agree it's not fair to compare a well balanced coilover setup with stock suspension. What I can't get my head around is how replacing swaybars is going to improve matters on either setup. As I see it stiffened swaybars just force the car to loss traction but using a well balanced coilovers setup (even without major lowering) reduces the understeer without this loss of traction. I get that making it tail happy is perhaps more fun but ultimately it's only going to be slower. Therefore to me the logical option would be coilovers everytime. Then again I've never driven mine on track with stock suspension so perhaps I'm missing something?

·
Registered
144 Posts
SO!

After having a couple days to digest it, tell us your thoughts on the GMG sways with stock S5 suspension. Please:thumbsup:

I don't plan to change my suspension. (in case my wife's reading:footinmouth:) And, I'm not going to the track. Just ripping around mountain roads in CO. Honestly, I don't think I'll ever take it to the track. I don't even have the flippin car yet! But, I'm worried about understeer, coming from an A4 to a 911 to an S5.:yikes:

·
Registered
948 Posts
OMG, I just got my Stasis ARB installed. What a difference. Lol, omg, the car feels like there's nothing behind it after the back of my seat - it just follows the front wherever it goes. A lot less understeer and body roll now. Prior to installation, I was kind of amused by the description that the ARB made the car handle like it's on rails...but lol, now I can see that it really is that a good description of what the ARB does.

WOOO!! Plus I got my AWE exhaust as well :)

61 - 80 of 89 Posts