Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
feels like more grip, but not really? well lets pretend there is a corner i can take at 60mph at then it starts to understeer, well with this i feel like i can go 65... but instead of understeer if i got faster, a little faster feels like the backend wants to come around... alittle faster than that, and the car seems to want to awd drift... this is from literally 5 minutes of driving aggressively after installing so ill let you know more after my track day today.

·
Registered
206 Posts
feels like more grip, but not really? well lets pretend there is a corner i can take at 60mph at then it starts to understeer, well with this i feel like i can go 65... but instead of understeer if i got faster, a little faster feels like the backend wants to come around... alittle faster than that, and the car seems to want to awd drift... this is from literally 5 minutes of driving aggressively after installing so ill let you know more after my track day today.
Haha, sounds interesting. Have fun at the track dealing with oversteer :laughinatabove:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Actually... really well balanced and easy to deal with.... no understeer... I am a happy man.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Actually... really well balanced and easy to deal with.... no understeer... I am a happy man.
For clarity, you went with the H&R Rear ARB only, right? Great to hear there's no understeer. How's normal everyday driving? Does it feel too tight? Also, do you have DriveSelect? If you do, then how does it handle with the different suspension settings? Thanks!

·
Registered
537 Posts
here is my .02 on the sway issue after my track day with bhk and almosts50, another forum member here:

i decided to keep my gmg's in their box for two reasons, i wanted to see how my car would perform without them first, and second, if my wife found out i spent money on some new shit for this car, she'd ruin my weekend. my instructor at the track repeatedly insisted that performance mod for my car were not worth it until the driver improved. i thought to myself gtfo. welllll...

anyway, here is what i noticed with no sway upgrades after four runs:

1 learning the course and a little timid. no pushing in the corners, but my line was off and i was slow

2 an elderly lady in a q5 who was not even respectful enough to arrive to the course on time for the morning class and first run was creating rolling trains all over the course. not only that, but she was not waving anyone by... i pitted three times to see if i could get some clear runs, but it was a throwaway. i went slow and learned my lines.

3 best run of the day. i was flying, passing people left and right. first apex coming out of the bowl was a little difficult to hit like it was all day, as the car did pull at little when in triple digits. then again, i was also having some difficulty linig it up. i was taking the first shallow turn at about 90 with hardly any braking at all and the s5 was not lifting much and heading straight for the next cone. the next few turns are tight and the instructors recommended late apexing, but i was hitting them right on, powering straight through and very little understeer, but i could feel the tires slipping. getting back onto the bowl at full throttle, the car did pull to the outside a little, but nothing that couldn't be controlled.

4 foot cramped midway through and i was tired as hell as i had not slept at all the night with the kids waking up in the hotel room, so i called it a day, especially with that focus and q5 killing my joy.

so, final impressions: yes, the car displays some understeer, but not enough to justify me putting on sways at my current skill level. therefore, i am possibly selling my gmg's, still unopened in the box. those would help pay for more track days! i am going to do one more track day soon and see how i feel about it at another course.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Please note this noob also has much wider tires and springs... I'm on stock and I understeer like its my job...

·
Registered
537 Posts
^ pls note, then the first upgrade you should have done would be some lighter wheels and wider tires. F'ing guy. Nice way too cook your valence btw ;) new one is waiting for you at my mechanics.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Crisp don't sell those sways, next time we go out I'll let you drive my car and you'll see the best mod you can do! Would I lie to you--we're thick as thieves after that day on the track. For those that missed it was a great S5 display of power and grace as we flew around the track. I believe there was 4 S5's that day and everyone of them looked great and performed very well IMO. Looking forward to more time with those guys and the sways.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Yah... that was really unexpected... gotta readjust my exhaust and maybe look for a heat shield. Honeslty it was prrobably Because the wife sat at red line in 3rd through the straight away made the exhaust temps go nuts. Don't tell her I said that. Don't want her to think she broke the car she will be all depressed. Yo seriously lets plan another trip out with Scott.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Agreed though with Scott. If you really start to do alot well a few a year of track events you will want to upgrade your suspension more. At that point it'll be sways or coilovers. So think it through. Btw I doubt your big sexy ridiculous rims are lighter than the stock rims. Ahhhh can't wait till another trackday. All the next few events are on Monday Tuesday... I can't take that much off work. Kinda blows. Was really thinking about lime rock or the NJ event.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Thanks for the offer, s50! I'll take you up on it. I'm not selling them just yet. We can still do nhms, englishtown or watkins glen before I decide. Btw, i'll mail out your jacket and glasses first thing Monday.

·
Registered
537 Posts
What happened to soldier and the s/c s5 from pes? Did not see them there.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Bhk- I think Limerock is a bust for Crisp and I because of the noise restrictions. Sure would like to run with the both of you again. Seems like the day was that much better because the both of you were there. The guy with the s/c didn't show and the pes rep told me why but can't seem to remember anything but apex in and track out!!!!!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
We should see maybe the Porsche club has a good weekend event. Man I gotta get back out there before I forget anything. Lol. And also for me have to perfect heal and toe before I get back out there. Was having issues with overly rough downshifting. My wife is mad funny she says every on ramp she keeps examining it trying to figure out the turn in apex and how far to track out lol. She seems to be enjoying it.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts