·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Did you get them installed for Fri?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
They just arrived. Contemplating attempting it myself or paying through the nose for someone else to do it for me. I think ill try on my own.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I think the front is easy but the rear you might have to drop the exhaust! Anyway hope you get them on so I can gloat when we see each other and you tell me how happy you are with the GMG choice.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Naw I'm not really mad at them. Personally I think the gmg both sways is a better setup and honestly my first choice but I'm the bang for buck kind of guy. And it doesn't get much better than the stasis from the reviews. And I'm not like a track warrior so it makes more sense for me. But the wife gifted it to me so I am happy. Can't wait to install it.
This is what I mean LOL. Now that you bought GMG, you think it's better :). Let us know how it drives after installing!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yah but honestly if they were both available I would just get the stasis and call it a day cause of the price difference. Situation just worked out like this. I'm pretty sure I would have been happy either way!!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Not because I just bought them do I think they arte better. Because I have driven on them fo a year and I have driven on stassis and while they might be a toch stiffer the price does not justify the performance. The logic because it cost more it must be better is a dangerous game to play when your talking Euro oarts and cars. GMG is fine for the type of driving I do and probably for a whole bunch reading this thread.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Not because I just bought them do I think they arte better. Because I have driven on them fo a year and I have driven on stassis and while they might be a toch stiffer the price does not justify the performance. The logic because it cost more it must be better is a dangerous game to play when your talking Euro oarts and cars. GMG is fine for the type of driving I do and probably for a whole bunch reading this thread.
well its not the price that i think its better, its that its both front and rear and after reading a bunch of stuff online it seems to make sense that having both is a better balanced setup. meh whatever im happy with what i got

OKAY QUICK QUESTION FOR ANYONE THAT CAN ANSWER THIS!!!

First... My sway bars came with absolutely no instruction manual... sooooo how do I know which way is correct? lol i heard installing it backwards is a very common mistake and if I decide to do this on my own, i would like at the least to install it correctly.

Second... For stiffer and softer settings, do I use the bolt that makes the sway shorter or longer? logic seems to tell me that the longer the sway the shofter it would be, so im guessing the bolts that would make the sway bar shorter, is the stiffer setting and the further out bolt would be the softer setting. but I could definitely be COMPLETELY WRONG so if someone could confirm for me will be MUCH appreciated.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Maybe it's because I already had the KW v3's installed and corner balanced but I'm one of the few who didn't think the arb made a huge difference, and I do track days 2-3 times a year.

Switching brakes to the AP setup and tires to Advan Neova AD08 on the other hand is what made the car a beast on the track.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Shorter is stiffer setting. Get under the car and it will be pretty apparent where each bar goes. Drop the exhaust in the back and follow that diy I linked for you in the pm.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Im guessing for you the ride was already stiffened alot due to having good coilovers. So the arb was just a slight help to the balance. For me this may be the only suspension peice I will mod so expect it to make a difference in feel. I'm guessing with the coils the ride already felt much stiffer with less roll in? Also you may have dialed out more of the roll when you corner balanced. Maybe you would be able to run a softer setting on your coils with the arb?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I don't have the coilovers yet(wish I did) but my sways(GMG) made a HUGE difference in the way the car cornered and changed lanes----HUGE!!!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
hey guys, i've looked at the posts but I still dunno what you guys think is better, H&R or GMG?
I know stasis is the better but they arent sold without the coil overs
my car isnt tracked at all, so gmg or H&R?
also just rear or front as well?
I'm not sure about stasis is better since there has never been a real study. So this is how id rate things. Just rear go with HR. full setup id go with gmg. Just from what I've gathered since I started searching.

Btw this is due to a review I think its Wah said after getting the whole setup he seemed to think at even full soft front setting there was more understeer than he would have liked. This tells me the rear isn't stiff enough for the stiffness that is redialed in by the front bar.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'm not sure about stasis is better since there has never been a real study. So this is how id rate things. Just rear go with HR. full setup id go with gmg. Just from what I've gathered since I started searching.

Btw this is due to a review I think its Wah said after getting the whole setup he seemed to think at even full soft front setting there was more understeer than he would have liked. This tells me the rear isn't stiff enough for the stiffness that is redialed in by the front bar.
Oh thanks alot!
I have the OE springs now but i am having some coil overs installed very soon, looks like i'll get the H&R rear.

·
Registered
144 Posts

Eagerly awaiting the install!:D

I don't even have my car yet, but I've got the Vag Com, K + N filter, H & R spacers and, next, will be the sway bars.:2thumbsup:

Damn, I can't wait to get this car!!! If you're so inclined, can you pm me the instructions somebody else sent you? TIA.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey guys, i've been looking at this post and i did some research at the same time, specifically concerning the thickness of the sway bars. This it what i found from the gmg and h&r website respectively:

gmg sway bar front 28.6 mm, back 25.5
h&r sway bar front 30 mm, back 24

it seems like both companies chose two different styles of handling.
my question would be, how does change the characteristics of the car given the different front to back thickness, or does it also depend stiffness set up?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Stiffness matters more but usually thickness shows the stiffness but not always. That's why there was a review that the full HR setup had a review that the front sways were too stiff and dialed in too much understeer again. That's why I said if you want just the rear to deal with the understeer get either a used stasis or a HR rear setup. If you want front and rear gmg seems good. Ill know more after this weekend.

·
Registered
537 Posts
disregard the quoted thickness of the bars. rigidity of the bar is what actually matters. two bars can be the same diameter, but the more rigid one will provide more equal compression of the springs. as long as the rear bar is more rigid than the front, whether or not you buy a complete set, you will get the desired effect for our cars.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts