Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone might be able to help with this, but I was wondering if the new TTs Multifunction steering wheel could be put on to the S5 as I noticed the both have the same buttons and the TTs steering wheel just looks so much better. :confused:

· Premium Member
1,800 Posts
If you want to keep your warranty, then you'll have to get your Audi dealer to do it before the Pre-delivery inspection.

Otherwise, your warranty will be void if you have touched the electrics, and audi will not guarantee any work done to any related electronics/circuits.

· Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the dealer make enquiries about this for me today and they sent me a reply saying:-

"I have spoken to Audi UK regarding the possibility of changing steering wheels on the Audi S5. It is not possible to put a TT wheel or S3 wheel on the A5, there are a number of technical reasons for this and as yet no plans for a flat bottomed wheel on the A5 range.

What technical reasons could there be - didn't think there was much to the steering wheel, both are multi function steering wheels with exactly the same buttons??

· Registered
318 Posts
I think this is the normal canned response that the manufacture feels obligated to give us "modders". I am planning the same and I do think it can be done somewhat easily. I've checked out prices and it is pretty reasonable. There are a handful of people that have retrofitted the European RS4 wheel on the U.S. version of the RS4 without issue apparently. I don't think they re-used the airbag though (not positive on the reason for this). If I remember correctly, they had to equip it with the A8 airbag. Not sure how they figured it out but apparently it's fine. I'm wondering if the S5 will have similar steps.

I had the dealer make enquiries about this for me today and they sent me a reply saying:-

"I have spoken to Audi UK regarding the possibility of changing steering wheels on the Audi S5. It is not possible to put a TT wheel or S3 wheel on the A5, there are a number of technical reasons for this and as yet no plans for a flat bottomed wheel on the A5 range.

What technical reasons could there be - didn't think there was much to the steering wheel, both are multi function steering wheels with exactly the same buttons??

· Registered
13 Posts
TT Steering Wheel

Hi all, Kevin from Bexley Audi here,

There are many issues with trying to retro fit items to any Audi. This is because of wiring issues and possibly having to change various parts to accomodate the new item. Plus the workshop costs would be high as dealers charge a much higher labour rate than having something factory fitted. There are no plans ass yet to fit a flat bottom wheel, besides the standard sterring wheel is more than ok?

· Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all, Kevin from Bexley Audi here,

There are many issues with trying to retro fit items to any Audi. This is because of wiring issues and possibly having to change various parts to accomodate the new item. Plus the workshop costs would be high as dealers charge a much higher labour rate than having something factory fitted. There are no plans ass yet to fit a flat bottom wheel, besides the standard sterring wheel is more than ok?
I'm not the greatest fan of it (standard steering wheel), thats why I wanted to change it. Never mind, i'm sure some moding expert will do this and onces they have i'll soon follow...

· Registered
318 Posts
I'm likely going for it, and if so - I'll post what it takes on this site. I just want to order the one with the red stitching to go with the magma interior. I think that one would be perfect.

I'm not the greatest fan of it (standard steering wheel), thats why I wanted to change it. Never mind, i'm sure some moding expert will do this and onces they have i'll soon follow...

· Registered
144 Posts
I have the TT S-line steering wheel/airbag for my S5, but havent installed it. I will let you all know as soon as we tear it apart. Most Audis' use the same steering column center ring and almost all steering wheels can be swapped. I had the RS4 flat bottum installed on my A4 using the A8 airbag and never had any issues. I'll keep you posted!-

· Registered
44 Posts
Don't you think it is more or less certainly a saftery issue?

The car has been tested and approved with the standard steering wheel. The testing that each model goes through is so extensive, as soon as Audi "officially" change something, they should go through all the testing again unless they can prove that it doesn't impact on safety. Altering something so inherent in the safety of the car (the thing that houses and airbag) must be very difficult to prove it won't have any effect on the safety tests.

Just my opnion...

Ronnie.

· Registered
75 Posts
what i don't understand is this:
the steering wheel can be changed from a TT to an A4, and the TT steering wheel comes with it's own air bag then why would you need to put on the A8 airbag?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.