Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Audi S5 B8 Sportback
52 Posts
I think someone on Audizine already tried fitting a fixed supercharger snout from a previous gen, although it did fit, it didn't work:
"We tried retrofitting a CTUB snout and rotor pack in the blower with the goal of reliability, but while it fit, we couldn't get the ecu happy and it kept making boost at idle."

By the way, I also had contact with Powerhouse Automotive regarding the supercharger porting, but I didn't go with them as I am from mainland Europe which makes the import/export process cumbersome and expensive (although I would go for them if I would live in the UK).

In the end I got my spare supercharger ported by Startline Motors, they removed quite a bit of material from the supercharger and also checked the state of the supercharger bearings (said they were fine). I will get it installed in the spring, to combine it with some regular maintenance.
View attachment 182330
View attachment 182331
The FB page they use for this service:
登录 Facebook
Why is there a hole in the bottom of your intake?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have any power runs before to see the affect of your porting? Then power runs when you have fitted it. :)
Yes, I will provide some info on the numbers before/after (already have some Dragy runs). However, I am also moving down to a 177mm crank pulley at the same time (to stay within the specified ~2.8 pulley ratio to prevent future supercharger clutch issues) so these numbers will not be really comparable.
Why is there a hole in the bottom of your intake?
This was a picture that was taken during the porting process, they welded it up afterwards. The pre-CREC supercharger does not have the blockage that CREC superchargers have (first picture), the guys that did the porting made the inside of the supercharger similar to a ported pre-CREC supercharger.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Yes, I will provide some info on the numbers before/after (already have some Dragy runs). However, I am also moving down to a 177mm crank pulley at the same time (to stay within the specified ~2.8 pulley ratio to prevent future supercharger clutch issues) so these numbers will not be really comparable.
Do you have a smaller SC pulley, so DP? If so, the smaller SC pulley can be associated with the clutch issues, so put your std SC pulley back on and put a 189mm crank pulley on. I have a CTS 187mm crank pulley only and Dippy has a 189mm pulley with no problems! I have 2.98 ratio. Only issue I have had is on the dyno in the summer, IATs get too high at 80 C. But now I have upgraded my heat exchanger. Now in the winter with temps around 6 C the IATs hover around 15 degrees under normal driving, too busy control the power and watching the road to see the IATs under full boost! I have FIS so can just look at the dash screen to see IATs.

This was a picture that was taken during the porting process, they welded it up afterwards. The pre-CREC supercharger does not have the blockage that CREC superchargers have (first picture), the guys that did the porting made the inside of the supercharger similar to a ported pre-CREC supercharger.
The only thing with porting is you can actually remove too much and make the flow worse. Not saying yours will be like that if the company you are using is tried tested and proven, but machining our material to create more volume can affect pressure and airflow. Some have found the larger throttle body needs to be matched with other mods/parts to get the full benefit. It's all about the airflow and velocity. I'd do it if I was seeking more power, but I'm happy with my Stage 2 :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are plenty of stage 2 CREC engined cars in the UK with larger crank pulleys, mine is 187 and Dippy's is 189mm with no issues. We do have the std SC pulley though.

I can't get my head round why they fail though as no more power or torque goes through the SC, just an increased speed, but maybe if the increased speed demands more load on the clutch? But the increase in speed is only 3-5krpm.

When I put my larger crank pulley on, I did this a week before my remap and as you say Gid, any more that 1/4 throttle and the EPC and limp mode comes on. This was because the SC speed sensor was picking up 'extra' speed. After the remap, that speed sensor was either recalculated with the new pulley ratio or turned off, I don't know, I didn't ask my mapper. So I think there maybe an issue with your tune? The clutch is separate and I think you should be able to run the pulleys and tune.

I'm sure the SC clutch could be 'gutted' and a solid fixed drive input inserted, created? :)
I've inspected my clutch post removal and it definitely was burned up. Shavings were all throughout the snout and there wasn't much remaining on the clutch itself. This was commonly found on all of the ones that were replaced witih the bolted or welded clutches.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has there been any movement on the IE fixed / welded clutch on the CREC? I'm in the US with a 3.0T A6 and I've just burnt up my 3rd clutch in 2 years, running APR Stage 2+ with DP. When it fails I get the EPC light and no boost. I've done some experimenting with welding the previously worn out clutches (and they really are worn out, burnt up, pitted and FUBAR), and I'll fit one of them to the car this week without the silly shroud on the back so I can put it on and take it off without removing the supercharger. I take it I'll need to get the codes tuned out by APR, otherwise the car's going to complain about the clutch being closed when it expects it to be open, etc., but I'll suck it and see, and then report back.
What kind of movement are you referring to? I know that IE now offers to code out the CEL. Other than that, they are not supporting a DP stage 2 tune yet. Only Stage 1 E85 or stage 1 single pully. I'm currently on EPL Stage 2 DP with the bolted clutch.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I really don't see the point in dual pulley anymore. There are plenty of options available to max out the pulley ratio via crank pulley alone. From what I have seen, the SC clutch issues do seem to be on DP cars?

Is the extra power, which is isn't that much worth breaking the SC clutch? A stage 2 using just a 189mm pulley (no porting) should get you around 480bhp. If you are a number chaser, then you're going to have to move away and replace the standard parts, but is it worth it for 20bhp?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Slope Rectangle Font Line Parallel

·
Registered
8 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I really don't see the point in dual pulley anymore. There are plenty of options available to max out the pulley ratio via crank pulley alone. From what I have seen, the SC clutch issues do seem to be on DP cars?

Is the extra power, which is isn't that much worth breaking the SC clutch? A stage 2 using just a 189mm pulley (no porting) should get you around 480bhp. If you are a number chaser, then you're going to have to move away and replace the standard parts, but is it worth it for 20bhp?
I wouldn't say I'm chasing numbers. To each their own I suppose. I agree that the ROI after a certain point gets smaller and smaller, which is always the case when modding cars. FWIW, the difference from a 2.9x PR and a 3.2X PR is significant. Similar to going from stage 1 to stage 2. The bolted clutch has been working out great, aside from the CEL for the supercharge speed not meeting the requested parameters. When it gets a little warmer, I'll be swapping out the HPFP for an autotech that's sitting in my garage.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts