Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Stage 2 has diminishing returns over stage 1, and it just continues. I believe that Adamantium took a step-by-step journey towards stage 3 so I can understand that seeing the cost of each individual step and the return it gave would have been even more painful...
But all you really want is for (MRC) to work out how to lock the CREC supercharger clutch... You'd see 500hp+ on stock hardware then.

·
Registered
528 Posts
but the cost of it would be astronomical compared to simple stage1 in terms of gains and whilst 500+ sounds good and everyone would be proud to have it done, but i can bet it wouldnt be as straightforward as you'd expect it ;)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
What about removing the clutch and bolting on the 'old' fixed drive pulley? The clutch is all external. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I've just messaged and has a reply from Doug at MRC. He says they can lock the clutch module....

Wtf.
Happy days

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
But all you really want is for (MRC) to work out how to lock the CREC supercharger clutch... You'd see 500hp+ on stock hardware then.
I thought Adamtanium found out that the clutch wasn't the main issue, more the belt slipping when a small SC drive pulley was used?

Even if the clutch is locked, the limiting factor would still be the clutch relying on magnetic friction plates. There are a few versions of the clutch, but I don't think it has been concluded that one version is better or if indeed the clutch has issues when tuned.

If a component is controlled by the ECU, it can be altered in the mapping. After my charge cooling fiasco after an Audi recall and IATs being too high during a remap, I added extension wires to the charge coolant pump so I could unplug the ECU feed and run it 100% all the time. It also runs for 30 seconds when shutting down or even unlocking the car! I spoke to my mapper about this and he has altered the pump running parameters on BMWs and could look into altering the running on the 3.0TFSi. He did run it on the rollers with the pump running at 100% all the time and got low IATs! 42 degrees when idling, then dropped into the 30s under acceleration.

By stock hardware, do you mean the supercharger? To get past 450bhp, you need pulley, intake, then exhaust, then possibly charger cooler upgrade, then for more, the larger throttle body?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I tend to agree. I have the supercharger rpm shown on my FIS-control MMI. If I'm going to drive fast then I'm in ADS dynamic and I can see that the clutch is nearly always closed. If the clutch slips at high rpm then we'd be seeing failures on stock cars too. A slipping belt causing stress on the clutch sounds like a plausible reason. I only ever read of two confirmed cases of clutch failure: The one at MRC, where they needed to replace the whole s/c so that must have been related; and the APR test car where they were doing all sorts of tests with high octane fuel and changing parts - so that could have added to the stress.

But this is very much about diminishing returns. I have 480PS now. How much would I have to pay to get 500+, especially if I needed the work to lock the clutch?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Back on topic:

Can anyone point in the right direction of MRC reported efforts into the porting game?
Mrc are currently trialing out a bigger throttle body to see what gains can be had. I posted the video on here and it does look promising. However they are waiting to trial the IE throttle body as they believe it may give better results.
I am at stage 2 and have uprated disc s and pads, and they are coping .If Mrc do release there stage 3,then it would be expensive as you would need full Rs or a big brake set up to stop with the extra power imho.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Technically since the peak torque is raised then so is the peak acceleration and so the force required to brake from peak acceleration may have to increase to achieve the same result. But away from the blackboard it all depends on how you drive doesn't it? I'm stage 2 but didn't feel the need to uprate my brakes. So I guess I'm driving Miss Daisy.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Dippy it does depend on how you drive it, and why you felt the need to go for stage 2.
I felt the need to upgrade the brakes for the same reason I felt to go for a stage 2 remap -because it would benefit the car and allow better braking
An RS5 has bigger brakes than a std S5 as it has more power to allow it to stop quicker.
Our cars have more power and a lot more torque than a standard RS5 and when you use launch control and do regular high speed runs (100MPH+) you can really notice the extra stopping power over the std units.
That not to say that all S5 drivers who remap there cars ,but don't upgrade there brakes drive like miss daisy

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I don't know if you have experience of the B5 S4 but the stock brakes were bad. When I got my stage 2 on that car I uprated the front brakes (kit based on Porsche parts) and I thought they were good. But I then found that even on the heavier B8 sportback, the stopping power of the stock brakes were even better. Likely they would fade more than the Porsche ones (drilled disks) but that was never an issue for me. So although I was certainly prepared to uprate the brakes on my S5 I have never felt the need.

But I am actually slowing down anyway, not only because there is so much traffic and potholes (had to replace my front tyres this week because of one), but definitely due to age. I like to drive within a bigger margin to my limits than I used to, and that's probably a good thing. I even like the way my steering and suspension feels in ADS comfort! I am becoming less sure that I'll tune my S5 any further - unless MRC advertise a package soon I think I won't.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Has anyone done or know of anyone doing port/polish work on the heads of the 3.0T?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

41 - 52 of 52 Posts