Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I'm after info on anyone that does porting work on the Eaton supercharger in the UK.

My google skill haven't found much.

Has anyone in the UK ported their supercharger? If so, who done the work?

TIA

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was thinking of taking mine to a machine shop id imagine it would be the same people who port heads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Which supercharger are you talking about? The standard 3.0TFSI charger?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of taking mine to a machine shop id imagine it would be the same people who port heads?

I would assume so to. But would be ideal to find someone who has experience and proven gains on the Eaton's.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Exactly, you won't find many places that have done it as there are no proven gains. However, if you are talking about the enlarged throttle body, then this is different! :)

As far as I know, only APR (Ultracharger) and MRC more recently have made an 80mm TB (70mm standard)

I have seen an S4 in the US that has a ported blower, but still only got 450bhp, which in my view is pointless as you can get 460+bhp from a remap, crank pulley and intake upgrades.

The enlarged TB is only really necessary when you are maxed out on pulley ratio, eg, 3.2:1, and have uprated charge cooler and intake. This normally sees a good chunk over 500bhp.

Not sure how much MRC's enlarged TB is as I think it's still in development. But APR's £1000+ is tad too expensive. But don't get me started on Tuner's pricing strategies, but suffice to say, they are monopolising on their products for prestige brands. Create a similar product for a Ford and you can slash the price by about 50%! :) All in my opinion of course.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Exactly, you won't find many places that have done it as there are no proven gains. However, if you are talking about the enlarged throttle body, then this is different! :)

As far as I know, only APR (Ultracharger) and MRC more recently have made an 80mm TB (70mm standard)

I have seen an S4 in the US that has a ported blower, but still only got 450bhp, which in my view is pointless as you can get 460+bhp from a remap, crank pulley and intake upgrades.

The enlarged TB is only really necessary when you are maxed out on pulley ratio, eg, 3.2:1, and have uprated charge cooler and intake. This normally sees a good chunk over 500bhp.

Not sure how much MRC's enlarged TB is as I think it's still in development. But APR's £1000+ is tad too expensive. But don't get me started on Tuner's pricing strategies, but suffice to say, they are monopolising on their products for prestige brands. Create a similar product for a Ford and you can slash the price by about 50%! :) All in my opinion of course.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
PS, like you say, I'm sure the TB could be CNC machined to be larger and a new throttle plate installed quite easily. I have looked at one, so couldn't say what parameters or bore size you could go to on a standard TB unit.

I did fit an enlarged TB on my BMW 328 M sport coupe, and the larger bore 325 intake manifold! :) German tax bands determined that BMW made the 328 in restrictive form (basically under 200bhp) so fitted a small bore intake and TB. After fitting, it took it to 230bhp. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I plan to go 3.26 PR with 82mm TB (Iabed) & uprated chargecooler.

It's been suggested to me that porting the SC (and TB) would fully realise the gains of my planned setup.

So in essence I want to weigh up gain/cost of doing so.

I'll contact MRC and probe them for info

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Yeah 3.2 is the upper limits on the pulley ratio. More than this would be spinning the supercharger less efficiently.

What year is your car? The charge cooling system was uprated slightly with the May 2014 onwards CREC engine.

Porting the SC is possibly like flowing a head, yes, it gives you some extra horses, but how many per £ is the question.

Pulley set up, intake, larger TB, larger charge cooling rad, exhaust and a good remap should see 500bhp. It is possible, but for how much cash.

Getting 480bhp is easily and fairly inexpensive. But that extra 20bhp and beyond starts to rack up in the thousands, especially using tuner bolt on kits.

Doug at MRC has had good results and still researching and developing. So a good place to start.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah 3.2 is the upper limits on the pulley ratio. More than this would be spinning the supercharger less efficiently.

What year is your car? The charge cooling system was uprated slightly with the May 2014 onwards CREC engine.

Porting the SC is possibly like flowing a head, yes, it gives you some extra horses, but how many per £ is the question.

Pulley set up, intake, larger TB, larger charge cooling rad, exhaust and a good remap should see 500bhp. It is possible, but for how much cash.

Getting 480bhp is easily and fairly inexpensive. But that extra 20bhp and beyond starts to rack up in the thousands, especially using tuner bolt on kits.

Doug at MRC has had good results and still researching and developing. So a good place to start.
Thanks Dave

Don't own but plan to buy a late B8.5 with CREC engine.

Had my eye on this little beauty, but it got snapped up sharpish

2015 Audi A5 S5 Sportback Tfsi Quattro Black Edition

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Possible S4 for sale here: My S4 thread

I've been reading S4/S5 forums for years and I don't remember coming across any owner who has ported the SC. Possibly MRC are the first to do it (and to publicise the fact).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Possible S4 for sale here: My S4 thread

I've been reading S4/S5 forums for years and I don't remember coming across any owner who has ported the SC. Possibly MRC are the first to do it (and to publicise the fact).
Thanks Dippy

Should have stated I'm searching for a B8.5 S5 sportback with sports diff.

Where can I find MRC's efforts at porting?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice! It's got too many doors though! ;) he he

There are quite a few nice examples around. You see some at nice prices, then check the spec! That had the dynamic sports diff too! :)
🤣 I prefer 4 doors on a car, easier to get the kids in/out 👨‍👧‍👧

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
🤣 I prefer 4 doors on a car, easier to get the kids in/out 👨‍👧‍👧
True! :) Performance and practicality!!

I just tell my daughter to press the button to move the seat forwards and use my door. But depends on their age. :D

Saw an A4 just the other day stop in the middle of the road and thought, what's he doing. Then noticed the rear door had come open with his baby just looking out.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Should have stated I'm searching for a B8.5 S5 sportback with sports diff.
Good luck with that. I spent most of 2014 looking to buy a used S5 SB with SD. I never found one so I ordered a new one from Audi (via Carwow). SD is rare: I found a few S4s with the option but I never found an S5 SB with it.

And as you probably know - don't take the seller's word for it that a car as SD - check and see it for yourself!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good luck with that. I spent most of 2014 looking to buy a used S5 SB with SD. I never found one so I ordered a new one from Audi (via Carwow). SD is rare: I found a few S4s with the option but I never found an S5 SB with it.

And as you probably know - don't take the seller's word for it that a car as SD - check and see it for yourself!

The one I linked above was a rare find.

Of course all declared options will be confirmed before purchase

1 - 20 of 54 Posts