Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Sunroof - What's your take on it ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I never buy a car without a sunroof (or a glass panel on the roof to at least let extra light in)

Here in Zurich, people always ask me "Why do you need a sunroof when you have air conditioning ?" This suggests that maybe they think the Sunroof and the Air-Conditioning should perform the same function :confused: I would not expect the sunroof to control the climate of the cabin.

I have a tilt and slide sunroof on my R32 and I hardly ever open it. If it were completely fixed, and didn't tilt or slide, I would still want it. Is it only me who enjoys the light that the sunroof allows into the cabin ? I love a black-black, snug, sporty, "cockpit" in a car, but it can be a bit gloomy without a sunroof letting in some much-needed extra light.

The fact that the sunroof doesn't slide back on the A5/S5, is not a deal breaker for me. I would rather have the large "panorama" non-sliding roof which Audi offer, than the small sliding roof which BMW offer (335i)

What's your take on sunroofs ?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think it's looks good but man I wish it opened. My C6 Corvette had a
removable top that stowed in back. I miss that.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Bryce I'm with you. It makes the cabin look so much nicer with natural light.

The only issue I ever have with my Q7 is that in extreme heat with a large panoramic sunroof is it gets hotter than hell (above 100 degrees) and its hard to stay cool...but at least it can open.

I think the S5 sunroof is just fine.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The fact that the S5 sunroof doesn't slide pisses me off... I would much rather have a smaller moonroof that does open/slide/tilt. But, it wasn't a deal breaker.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
i didnt go for a sunroof but thats the whole point of having a light coloured heading makes it lighter.....

·
Registered
68 Posts
I ordered my sunroof blind as it wasnt in the brochure when ordered.
I just assumed it would fully open.
Then as reading more and more on this site realised it didnt, bit annoyed .
Probably still would have ordered it though as i think it looks good.Glad ive got it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I will be getting the sunroof because there was no opt out. I don't mind sunroofs (they look good) but I never use them and I prefer the extra structural rigidity you get with a solid roof. I notice the difference mostly at speeds over 140MPH around tight corners, a common scenario for me in the suburbs of Pittsburgh (yeah right:D ). Honestly I could easily live with or without. I just hope mine doesn't make any creaking noises when I get it. If that would be the case, I would definitely prefer without.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I voted "don't see the point..." however it's not quite my exact feelings about them.

My main consideration in most cars (don't know what it's like in the A5/S5 as I've not yet seen one on any UK car) is that a sunroof steals a little room from inside the roof, and as I'm tall I'd rather have the extra cm or two of headroom. I'm also not too keen on the sun beating down on my head when driving - I've never been a great fan of convertibles for the same reason, but if you do like the wind-in-your hair experience, then why not buy a proper convertible rather than compromise with just a sunroof?

I had a sunroof on my first A4 and I think I opened it around 5 times in the 2+1/2 years I owned it - I'd have rather had aircon, but the sunroof was standard and aircon was too expensive for my budget when I was ordering that car.

Each to their own though, I say...:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts