Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard the A5/S5 sunroof is tilt only and does not slide open, sounds odd but does anyone know if this is true.
I'm seriously considering an S5 but i love using a sunroof pretty much all year long and tilt only would be a problem for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Everything I have read and talking to Audi of America, it seems the sunroof will only be tilt-only.
I believe they are doing it because of the roofline, it isn't big enough or probabley more likely the curves of it.

The only video that shows it clearly it seems to be a very large one bigger then the typical opening sunroof.

Because of it not fully opening I will probabley not get this option at all. I love have a sunroof, but it will save weight and give a little more head room.

·
Registered
487 Posts
From what I've read its standard in the US and not an option to remove.

However, I might be mistaken on this.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Haha if thats the case I guess I'll deal. I still can;t decide on the color.

On the 335i coupe I had want the Artic White but I don't think it compliments the S5 as much.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Haha if thats the case I guess I'll deal. I still can;t decide on the color.

On the 335i coupe I had want the Artic White but I don't think it compliments the S5 as much.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Everything I have read and talking to Audi of America, it seems the sunroof will only be tilt-only.
I believe they are doing it because of the roofline, it isn't big enough or probabley more likely the curves of it.

The only video that shows it clearly it seems to be a very large one bigger then the typical opening sunroof.

Because of it not fully opening I will probabley not get this option at all. I love have a sunroof, but it will save weight and give a little more head room.
That is not what my dealer said.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have learned from dealing (buying) with Chevy, Infiniti, BMW, Audi, and actully selling cars through Nissan. That 85% of salesman are just that and that they are car freaks they don't read forums they don't know anything more then what the dealership tells them.

Some do know but saying I have found even when some do know if they think you don't they say the most favorable thing you want to hear.

That doesn't to me make them crooks just means you have to understand where they are coming from.

But I do hope the sunroof opens and is not tilt only!

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
it doesnt open i'm afraid guys.
I guess that's why, and how, they were able to make the sunroof (or does it have to be considered a moonroof now?) so BIG. very little in the way of mechanical parts, slide mechanism or cavity. Oh well...that's a bit depressing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I haven't actually had delivery of my A5 yet (due esrly september), but I have ordered it WITH sunroof. The brochure description is "Electric Slide-and-tilt panoramic glass sunroof" - so I will be very disappointed and upset if it doesn't slide right back.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I haven't actually had delivery of my A5 yet (due esrly september), but I have ordered it WITH sunroof. The brochure description is "Electric Slide-and-tilt panoramic glass sunroof" - so I will be very disappointed and upset if it doesn't slide right back.
Hmm, If it's in the brochure then, Why question it?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Almost all glass sunroofs will slide back into the roof section behind it. There is plenty of space on the A5 to accommodate this so I am sure this will be the case.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just did a search and can't find any photos with the sunroof. Anyone have this option and can post photos?
I sat in the S5 in New York and the Sunroof is two pieces. The mesh cover (which seemed solid enough) and the actual sunroof. From what I saw it was too big to slide and I didn't see any controls for sliding.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Ian, I notice you are from the UK.

According to my dealer and the UK spec manual (and audi uk website configurator) the sunroof is not an option available in the UK.

Have you had confirmation that you are getting it or have you seen proof of it in your pricing?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I ordered my car at the beginning of august with the sunroof and have had my order confirmation sent through.I dont know why it is not in the brochures or configurator but it is an available option.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Doubledoom
Yes I'm in Lancashire, and can understand your question.
On the original brochure (back in Feb ish) which was only available by downloading from the web site, the sunroof (as well as the factory fitted removable tow bar) were listed on the available options (priced at £850 and £650 respectively). Then when I got the official brochure they were not listed. Then I got a brochure just entitled "Audi A5) and this had a full page picture of the sunroof but my dealer said it was not now an option for the UK - hence the reason Audi had deleted it from their new brochure.
Bottom line is that I originally ordered mine without sunroof, then the dealer rang me to say that on his weekly bulletin from Audi, the sunroof was back on as an orderable option - so I added it to my spec.
Yes my official order confirmation states that I am getting a sunroof. The dealer has also confirmed that it will be slide and tilt. As you can see from previous posts, whether this is the actual case or not remains to be seen. I am waiting for someone in the UK to confirm.
Incidentally my firm order was placed at end June, and I still have no confirmation of delivery date although my dealer says "sometime this month probably!!!!

Anyone in UK got a sunroof yet?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I originally ordered mine (to be delivered later this month) with the sunroof. I was told production on S5 with sunroofs was delayed due to misconception issues that have since been solved. I finally cancelled the sunroof option. My wife owns an A3 sportback with skyroof, and a brother has a Q7 with large skyroof too. Both are noisy when closed ( I imagine this can happen considering their size), though they don't leak water. I figured best to keep the car quieter considering the fact that it can't really be opened......

just my .02¢

1 - 20 of 54 Posts