Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished first real road trip in the beast. Silky smooth in all respects save one. Mileage, by the way was 21.5 actual, start to finish from Northern Michigan to St Louis and back, almost all 1300 miles via freeway. Love the brakes and torque; great GT cruiser.

The issue is this: southbound, mid day, the sun is high in the sky and HOT and BRIGHT. Temps in the 90s F. The heat and brightness through the moonroof and headliner are pretty intense, uncomfortable, even distracting.

So: Anybody hear of any Audi or aftermarket retrofits to counteract this?

S.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm interested too. I've been planning to make my own once my car arrives. I don't think that the half-moon roof will cut it in the Texas heat.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
That's one of my biggest pet peeves about having the moonroof. It doesn't allow you to completely block out the light. And with this crazy Texas heat, I really want the sun to be completely blocked out at times.

Quattrings had a good idea. I read in a post that he's considering installing double limo tint on his moonroof. That's not a bad idea if you ask me, especially for those of us (like me) in the US who never wanted a moonroof in the first place...except Audi didn't give us a choice to opt out. I may consider doing this.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Oh! Now am beginning to feel lucky that I forgot to add the moonroof in the options I wanted. Quite sure that the AC would have a tough time cooling during the summer months here!

·
Registered
117 Posts
It has been over 100 in Las Vegas for several days -- 109 according to my A5 display today -- and I really haven't found the heat to be a problem, even after the car is parked in the sun for 2-4 hours. The standard cloth moonroof cover is surprisingly effective, especially combined 35% window tint, and the a/c is very powerful and cools the car quickly. I even have a black interior which I was afraid would absorb the heat, but that doesn't seem to be the case after all.

So, long story short, so far so good. We'll see if the same is true when the temp reaches 117!

·
Registered
220 Posts
It has been over 100 in Las Vegas for several days -- 109 according to my A5 display today -- and I really haven't found the heat to be a problem, even after the car is parked in the sun for 2-4 hours. The standard cloth moonroof cover is surprisingly effective, especially combined 35% window tint, and the a/c is very powerful and cools the car quickly. I even have a black interior which I was afraid would absorb the heat, but that doesn't seem to be the case after all.

So, long story short, so far so good. We'll see if the same is true when the temp reaches 117!
I've noticed that my S5 takes quite awhile to cool on those 90' days. Does anyone know if the compressor is the same in the S5 and the A5?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Tinting the moonroof may be worth looking into. It's been in the high 90s here for the past few days and I'm getting a little worried what it'll be like as summer gets going.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've noticed that my S5 takes quite awhile to cool on those 90' days. Does anyone know if the compressor is the same in the S5 and the A5?
I don't know if the compressors are the same. I wonder if a factor in the cooling could be humidity. I imagine it's quite humid in NY, not the case here in the desert (usually 10-20%, or even single digits).

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appreciate the feedback. Talked to salesguy and he'll talk to Audi rep.
I think they need to supply a slide-in panel - and fix for future model years.
Meanwhile, I think I'll take a Spaceblanket, get it cut and hemmed, and just slide it in as needed. (For those of you with no knowledge of this item, it's a super-thin synthetic quilted thing with a reflective foil surface on one side.)

S.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Had my moon roof tinted today with Limo (5%) tint and rear windows with 35% tint. Waiting to find out how much of a difference it makes. It does look really good!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts