Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just a question, now I know that for winter you need winter tires and not the summer tires, anyway my A5 finally comes in next week (8 month wait) and i live about 2 and a half hours from my dealer where i'm picking the car up (it has the 19" Y's with summer tires). Anyways my question is as long as i go slow would i make it home safe enough to park it for winter (not driving it in winter have a ford explorer for that). I don't want to blow $1000 plus for winter rubber since i'm just driving it home to park it in the garage. I'm only travelling on one highway the whole way home and there isn't much snow on it, I figure if i keep it at 70 km/h i should be ok. What would you guys do??? Any help would be great Thanks!

·
Registered
528 Posts
honestly it all comes down to how much snow/slush is on the road.

Summer tires in cold conditions become like plastic.

If its possible see if the dealer can have the car flat bedded to the house, tell him your concerns, i don't see why he can't.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I assume you're going down Hwy 2 ? I would consider it if the road is completely dry and there's no chance of snow. According to the forecast that's not likely next week .

Otherwise I wouldn't risk it.

Good luck and enjoy your new car !

·
Registered
160 Posts
I used summers on my 08 M5 all last winter and it was a bad winter... as long as the roads are clean i.e two days after the storm and they clean roads, you should be fine. I drove my S5 for the first time yesterday after a big storm with no problems, just give yourself more time to stop as the tires become like hockey pucks...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thats also going to happen to me!! my car has arrived and I loved it,, but i told the dealer i dont want to pick it up due to bad weather here in Oregon. So, are the summer tires dangerous if there is a little bit of snow on the streeet???

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thats also going to happen to me!! my car has arrived and I loved it,, but i told the dealer i dont want to pick it up due to bad whether hear in Oregon. So,, are the summer tires dangerous if there is a little bit of snow on the streeet???
They are that bad in up to 1 inch of snow. Much more than 2 inches of snow and you simply aren't going any where. All seasons are OK but my Dunlop D3's are really awesome, even in a foot of heavy snow (like today).

·
Registered
14 Posts
again i step in ;) a topic i kind of like

summer tires absolutely bite the dust below 7 deg celcius (about 27 F).

As long as the roads are either dry or wet with temps above freezing, you'll manage, but remember what chewing gum or honey looks like in the freezer. that's about how your tires will be like.

as soon as there is any kind of snow or ice on the road, say good bye ...

summer threads are designed to get rid of water. they are absolutely NOT designed to throw snow out of the treads. snow will block up your sumer tires treading and you'll actually be driving slicks ... great fun

like the before posters said. dry road, decent temeratures, you'll be fine. water and warm ( 10 above freezing ) and you'll survive ;)
anything with water and low temps or snow and chances are your new car will end up somewhere you don't want it to go

best of luck

·
Registered
206 Posts
If there is any snow you will slide off the road and crunch your nice new car.
S.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Being (winter) weather a serious threat in your "beautiful" country you should consider "haul it" to your location and park it until you see some sun.
I bet this is not the advice you'd like to hear, particularly if you're anxious of driving the "Baby" home.

On the other hand if your version is "Quattro" and is surely fitted with the ESP, you'd have a magnificent ocassion to test drive it first hand.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey guys just a question, now I know that for winter you need winter tires and not the summer tires, anyway my A5 finally comes in next week (8 month wait) and i live about 2 and a half hours from my dealer where i'm picking the car up (it has the 19" Y's with summer tires). Anyways my question is as long as i go slow would i make it home safe enough to park it for winter (not driving it in winter have a ford explorer for that). I don't want to blow $1000 plus for winter rubber since i'm just driving it home to park it in the garage. I'm only travelling on one highway the whole way home and there isn't much snow on it, I figure if i keep it at 70 km/h i should be ok. What would you guys do??? Any help would be great Thanks!
you could do it on the summer tires if you are willing to accept that the 2.5 hour commute will be more like 4 hours in the right hand lane.

·
Registered
14 Posts
quattro and esp is wonderful but on snow will bring you only so far. and NEVER forget, quattro gives you S*H*I*T for braking.

common mistake, especially for the SUV drivers
"oh i got all wheel drive, i can drive wrecklessly and stop in 5 yds"

on summers, even FAR worse

1 - 11 of 11 Posts