Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on purchasing a snow tire/wheel package from Tirerack or the like. I love the stock 19's, but I don't want to have to change the tires on those rims 2 times/year risking damage every time, plus winter weather damage. I just wanted to see what you guys thought would look good on an S5 Deep Sea Blue. One stipulation, I really don't want to pay more than
$200/ wheel since they are going to be beaten by snow, ice, and the tons of salt thrown down on Pittsburgh roads in the winter.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Doc, this issue has been discussed ad infinitum -- the Boomer and I had a running friendly disagreement about it for months that crossed several strings -- towards the end of last year and the beginning of this. I put a set of 18" Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds on aftermarket TireRack rims. Was expensive, but they are the best rain/snow/mud tires I've ever had. I also never had to worry about ruining an original 19" alloy wheel hitting a chuckhole that was hidden by snow, ice or puddles. I suggest that you check for my string on this issue that started sometime about last November or December.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Jeff - new year and new choices perhaps? Some of us in the Toronto area are thinking of a group buy, so I'm not offended if the thread revives itself in a new, mutated form.

Tire Rack is offering up Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero snow tires (225/45-18) for $812.00 and some fairly ugly silver 18 x 8 Sport Edition A7s for $516.00 (not including the TPMS package). I'm not convinced.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would look at the Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme in 245-40/18 W. I bought them last winter, used them for 12.000 kms and they are simply incredible with snow and even with dry tarmac...

I took them off the car in March being only half worn, placed them in my garage till next winter and put on again my summer Michelin PS2.
Next December I will put them on back to my car and expect to use them until the final of winter.

Believe me, have a look at those tyres and you won't regret...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Jeff's got it. I had some posts and likewise went w/ Tire Rack pkg. Worked great.
S.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just purchased a set of 245/45R17 Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's with Rial Como wheels from Tire Rack. Also got the TPM sensors. I struggled for a while cause I was thinking I should get a narrower tire for better snow traction. But in the end, I got what I got. On my 02 A4 I had a set of 215/55R16 Dunlop Winter Sport M3's and they were a great winter tire. Great in snow, semi-OK in ice. I was very happy with the wet/dry performance, light/deep snow performance, and noise level. Goodyear Blizzak's are better on ice. Wear levels for the Dunlop's was great as well. The tires give great performance and last.

I always go with a complete tire and wheel pack cause it's easy enough for me to change them out in my garage whenever I want to. Don't wanna have to take the time dropping the car off to get the tires changed for a single set of wheels.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Blizzaks are made by Bridgestone, not Goodyear (unless Goodyear has bought Bridgestone under my radar that is).

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doc, this issue has been discussed ad infinitum -- the Boomer and I had a running friendly disagreement about it for months that crossed several strings -- towards the end of last year and the beginning of this. I put a set of 18" Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds on aftermarket TireRack rims. Was expensive, but they are the best rain/snow/mud tires I've ever had. I also never had to worry about ruining an original 19" alloy wheel hitting a chuckhole that was hidden by snow, ice or puddles. I suggest that you check for my string on this issue that started sometime about last November or December.
Sorry if I didn't clarify well, I know what tires I want already (and price is not a concern there) I just wondered what 18" wheels you guys thought looked best for a decent price. My quote of $200 was per wheel without a tire BTW.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts