Votes: 14 82.4%
  • Another Date (Suggest in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, as it happens, a certain B*W site is having their 5th members meet next month - and I have 'acquired' their suggested location - Buxton in the Peak District.

It is the same area as previously suggested (Cat'n'Fiddle) and therefore may (should?) appeal to those who were originally interested.

I have also plotted out a 28 mile drive that starts and finishes at Buxton. I think this should be long enough to allow us to not only enjoy the drive but to also stop for those mandatory photo sessions. If you think that is not long enough, then I'll look for a more extended route. Please bear in mind that we have to think about the fuel consumption of the S5 fraternity :D Map available here.

There is a Best Western Hotel in Buxton that has 40 rooms and whilst I haven't yet checked the rates and availability for the Bank Holiday weekends, I believe the cost is around £75 per room per night.

How about meeting around lunchtime/early Sunday afternoon for a meet and greet followed by the drive/photo session. Then meeting up in Buxton for food and drink for those that are interested in staying the night.

So who is interested then? I appreciate that some you would have to travel further than others (sorry Jen) but I believe it could be worth the effort.

I don't mind doing some of the donkey work - checking the hotel rates and availability. I'll even take a day out and drive the route I have plotted to see if it is befitting of such an event.

But all this this would be a waste of time if no-one else is interested!! For the inaugural English A5/S5 meet (I know the Jocks have had one recently) it needs the support of you - the UK members of A5_OC.com. If this going to happen it needs some commitment from you guys.

So what do you all think? Anyone got any better suggestions - maybe a different weekend? Get polling!!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
OK... I'm in!

I picked the Spring Bank Holiday, but actually could make either (there's no option for this!)

...I'm only an hour and a half away, but may stay over to enjoy the party!

Thanks for getting this going.

:)

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK... I'm in!

I picked the Spring Bank Holiday, but actually could make either (there's no option for this!)

...I'm only an hour and a half away, but may stay over to enjoy the party!

Thanks for getting this going.

:)
Thanks for getting the ball rolling. I thought about putting in an option for either Bank Holiday - but then we would need another poll to decide which one!! :rolleyes:

I've also gone for the Spring Bank Holiday.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Count me in for Spring Bank:D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Id be up for it - so long as I get my car - expected in next month!!!!

Not worried about dates - have car will travel:)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
im up for it (got a side kick to come with me but we have to go to Alton Towers gosh its punnishment in itself)

so its the spring bank holiday for me 26th

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, this is starting to look as though it might actually work.

The next step is to decide if you want acommodation (single (S), twin (T) or double (D)) and for how many nights.

As their reservation page is down, I have just emailed the Best Western in Buxton to find out availability and cost for the Spring Bank Holiday weekend, based on a Sunday night stay. We may be able to get a group discount if there are enough of us requiring rooms.

Therefore can you please advise the following info:

1. Acoomodation required: S / T / D / None. Please indicate how many i.e. 2 x S etc​
2. How many nights: 0 / 1 / 2 / 3 or more. Please indicate which night(s)​
3. How many persons.​
4. You will make your own arrangements.​

I will try and arrange it so that if there is a deposit required, you will be able to call the hotel direct, quote the booking reference and pay by debit/credit card.

BTW, if you can think of anything else for the weekend, please feel free to jump in.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
2 singles 1 night please :D

if its a big booking they may want holding deposits but they may accept a email from each indivdual well thats what they accept up here

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
sorry sat night, sorry getting ready for a meeting :D

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Buxton Hotel Rates

I've had a reply from the Lee Wood Hotel in Buxton. Rather than write it all out again, I have cut'n'pasted the details below - note the bit in bold. Please note that these rates are based on 2 persons sharing a twin/double room.
Many thanks for your kind enquiry regarding a possible stay here at The Lee Wood Hotel. We are pleased to advise that at the time of writing we currently have availability on 24th, 25th and 26th May 2008. We offer you two rates to choose from : £80.00 per room per night based on two people sharing a double/twin bedded room this rate is inclusive of a Full English Breakfast, accommodation and VAT at the current rate. We can offer a rate of £130.00 per room per night based on two people sharing a twin/double bedded room inclusive of a Three Course Table d’Hote, a Full English Breakfast, accommodation and VAT.

We require a deposit and this can be given either in the form of a Credit Card which acts as a guarantee or a deposit of £30.00 per person can be made by Cheque payable to The Lee Wood Hotel. Please be advised that your reference is “A5 Owner Club” and must be quoted by individual group members when making the reservation with the hotel to ensure they are offered the discounted rate. Cancellation policy for group reservations is two weeks prior. If cancelled after this time there will be a charge of £60.00 per room.
I have just spoken to the hotel again to obtain single rates and they are as follows: £70 per night for B&B or £80 per night for Dinner, B&B (a bargain I think - dinner for an extra £10!).

So if you want accommodation, please contact the hotel direct to make your booking, remembering to quote "A5 Owners Club". Their number is 01298 23002. Any problems, ask for Nicola who has been handing my enquiries :)D).

Please let me know if you make a booking so I know that the group rates are justified ;)

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any hope for a better turn out?

Is just 7 A5_OC members all we can manage for the Spring Bank Holiday weekend? :(

I have looked at extending the Sunday afternoon drive after realising that the original not only missed the better parts of the Peak District but was also calculated by Google to only take about 48 minutes. I am now looking at something nearer 60 miles/2+ hours (with stops) that takes in more of the countryside. My wife has also picked up a book on the Peak District from the library, so I'll do some research on other possible activities.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi REB. I used to live and work in the area and there are some fantastic drives with superb photo opportunities we used to use regularly. If you need any assistance route planning scenic driver's roads let me know and I can offer some ideas.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chunkstar, consider yourself counted in.

Manor50, I've looked at Google maps and plotted a route that is mostly to the north (via Cat'n'Fiddle) and to the east of Buxton. Give me a few minutes and I'll get a link sorted....

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is a revised route that is longer and will hopefully give us plenty of opportunities for photoshoots.

Manor50, do you think this will be a suitable route for a leisurely drive on a Sunday afternoon? ;)

As you have local knowledge, can you come up with something better?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi REB - I think the route you have chosen looks just fine. There's such a lot of good roads and stunning scenery in this area that we couldn't possibly see it all in an afternoon. You've done a great job getting the meet off the ground and as you've invited me in I would suggest including the following which makes the route around 80 miles (2h 30m) according to Google Maps:

A couple of spectacular areas not too far off your suggested route could include Bakewell and taking the B5055 out to Monyash. After you cross the A515 the road is unlisted (but effectively a B road) and the views around Crowdicoat on a nice day are stunning. This road heads through Longnor, across Barrow Moor and eventually picks up the A53 where I would turn left towards Leek and stop after about 2 miles at the Roaches (rock formations) for a photo shoot before turning back towards Buxton and picking up your original route up the Cat & Fiddle run and through to Macclesfield etc. This would offer a combination of some quick open roads along with some more demanding twisties. :D

Either way, I'm quite happy to go along with any suggestion after all the purpose of the day is to meet up with other A5/S5 owners and take the motors out for a run around with eachother. :cool:

Thanks again for getting the ball rolling. I just hope my car arrives in time :)

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for your input Manor - much appreciated.

I have modified the route (yet again ;)) to take in your suggestions.

I don't know how well you know Buxton itself but do you know if there are likely to be any problems meeting up and setting out from The Pavilion Gardens car park (and do they charge for parking)? It looks fairly large and judging by the satellite picture it is a multi-level one. At the moment it looks as if there are only going to be 8 cars at the meet so I can't imagine that it is going to be an issue.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts