Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got my S5 for about 4 days and it's been bothering me that the bass is not strong at all...especially for a 14 speakers B&O, today i opened the trunk while playing heavy beat techno music and see if the subwoover vibrates, and guess what, it doesnt.....taking it back to dealer tmr to see wtf is up...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
If you had your windows tinted you may have blown that amp channel. If not, you need to get your amp replaced under warranty as a few others have...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Audi insisted that it was the tint that blew the amp channel and wont cover it, and it's gonna cost about 1200 just for the part....anyone know any speaker shop in southern cali who can do this cheaper for me?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Audi insisted that it was the tint that blew the amp channel and wont cover it, and it's gonna cost about 1200 just for the part....anyone know any speaker shop in southern cali who can do this cheaper for me?
Dannnng... That sucks... That's why I had the dealer tint mine as part of my deal so I wouldn't have to worry about that... You might check Ebay.DE for parts.. They have a ton of stuff right now.. Get the yahoo translator and you can translate the german... I'm pretty confident they have a amp up for bid... They have a whole S5 parted out..

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Result: still wont cover it under warranty because tint count as a "EXTERNAL modification" to the car....bullcrap... i have to pay 1500 for parts + labor. MOxxer fuxers, how da F do i know I should not tint my window..The A5/s5 has been out for how long..1 year? they must have tons of this problem already and yet they refused to warn the customers about this or even cover it with warranty because of what? they wanna make MONEY!!
Although i am furious..there's nothing i can do..i cannot install aftermarket amp due to the complicated computer and fiber optics involved that only audi dealers can do it.
I want to let everyone know that although the tinting was the cause of all this, the tint shop owner Jeff of "pro-tint" on rosemead was very helpful throughout this time, he tried to fix it for free, and he's going to refund my $200 tint cost and give me extra $200 because he felt bad. Honestly, it's not his fault, it's the retarded S5 designer's fault. It's as if they purposedly put a water tunnel leading to the amp. In the end, i still recommend whoever reside in san gabriel go to that tint shop.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Result: still wont cover it under warranty because tint count as a "EXTERNAL modification" to the car....bullcrap... i have to pay 1500 for parts + labor. MOxxer fuxers, how da F do i know I should not tint my window..The A5/s5 has been out for how long..1 year? they must have tons of this problem already and yet they refused to warn the customers about this or even cover it with warranty because of what?
Sucks dude, but yeah this issue has definitely been covered on this forum, Audizine, AudiWorld, and a bunch of other places. Somebody should find that thread and sticky it for people to see.

Although i am furious..there's nothing i can do..i cannot install aftermarket amp due to the complicated computer and fiber optics involved that only audi dealers can do it.
There are ways, but you shouldn't be forced to do it that way.

I want to let everyone know that although the tinting was the cause of all this, the tint shop owner Jeff of "pro-tint" on rosemead was very helpful throughout this time, he tried to fix it for free, and he's going to refund my $200 tint cost and give me extra $200 because he felt bad. Honestly, it's not his fault, it's the retarded S5 designer's fault. It's as if they purposedly put a water tunnel leading to the amp. In the end, i still recommend whoever reside in san gabriel go to that tint shop.
Jeff Lynn @ Pro Tint did my Mercedes several years ago and I was happy with his work, and many friends have had their cars done there. They're a good honest reputable place, but honestly, it's their fault. Having worked in the automotive service industry, as a professional you are responsible for adapting to all of the different challenges that may be ahead of you, ESPECIALLY if you take it upon yourself to work on high end European cars which have notoriously oddball electrical configuration.

One time at an install bay, a guy was doing a custom audio install on a 90's Merc S500 and accidentally tapped a wire which set off the main airbag. The steering wheel, airbag computer, and other interior components had to be replaced -- did you think the shop could just shrug it off and blame Mercedes engineering? Hell no, it had to come out of the installer's pocket. You can't be a professional service provider and not take responsibility for the effects of your service, especially when there are plenty of tinters out there who don't damage things when they tint, regardless of how rediculous the amp placement may be.

For what it's worth, I have higher standards with my S5 than with my Mercedes, and I took a recommendation from someone who rarely lets anyone touch his cars (which include a $100k+ hotrod) and he recommended The Tint Pros in Huntington Beach (http://thetintpros.com/) and I was blown away how much more detail oriented they are than Pro Tint. It's family-owned and operated; the labor is all done by the founder and his son (in comparison, ProTint has multiple bays with multiple workers of varying experience levels handling the cars). I started to mention the blown amp problem as a heads-up but before I could even say two words about it, they smiled and said, "We're aware of the problem and you're in good hands. Don't worry about it."

I probably won't ever take a car anywhere else.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Result: still wont cover it under warranty because tint count as a "EXTERNAL modification" to the car....bullcrap... i have to pay 1500 for parts + labor. MOxxer fuxers, how da F do i know I should not tint my window..The A5/s5 has been out for how long..1 year? they must have tons of this problem already and yet they refused to warn the customers about this or even cover it with warranty because of what? they wanna make MONEY!!
Jeff is a nice guy. I've dealt with him for my last car - over 10 years ago. There's a reason why his business is still open. Good thing I decided against the tint though...

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Jeff is a nice guy. I've dealt with him for my last car - over 10 years ago. There's a reason why his business is still open. Good thing I decided against the tint though...
Jeff being a nice guy and the shop's reputation don't change the fact that they just don't know how to tint the S5. The S5 can be tinted just fine. See attached. Subs work great. Seems silly to write off tinting solely because some shops don't have it figured out.

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
Jeff being a nice guy and the shop's reputation don't change the fact that they just don't know how to tint the S5. The S5 can be tinted just fine. See attached. Subs work great. Seems silly to write off tinting solely because some shops don't have it figured out.
Also, its a good idea to get it from the dealer.. I negotiated with the dealer to have them tint mine as part of the deal.. It was good and then THEY were responsible if anything went wrong.. Besides, its covered under them now if any door rubbing or bubbling goes on..

·
Registered
158 Posts
michaecl - I'd be furious if I were you, too. The whole situation sucks. That said, I think your anger is misplaced. Although it sounds as if Jeff is a stand up guy, he wrecked your subwoofer. Period.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I tried Google but perhaps I'm using the wrong search terms.

Not being an S5 owner I am a bit clueless. How does tinting a window break a subwoofer??

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I tried Google but perhaps I'm using the wrong search terms.

Not being an S5 owner I am a bit clueless. How does tinting a window break a subwoofer??
See this thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts