Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I just picked up a 2010 A5 convertible w/o the B&O stereo. I love the car but hate the bass from the factory subwoofer. I searched the site but can't find any threads of subwoofer boxes that fit in the trunk for convertibles? Since the vert trunk is SO small when the top is down, any ideas of what kind of box would fit in our trunk without losing tons of space?

Appreciate any help you guys might have.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I have the B&O and still think there isn't enough bass. Your best option would be an 'under seat sub' these are designed to fit under the front seats in Soave limited cars. We don't have any room under our seats as they have storage built in however you would be able to put one in the boot and hardly lose space.

Look for a powered one and you can tap into the rear speakers using a high level converter.

Example of a sub - http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/subwoofers-amplified-bass-units-c-698_52.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, been out of town for awhile. Thanks everyone for the info. I can't find those speakers in the US. Anyone from US have any suggestions for speaker boxes? BTW, my car does not have the B&O system. Does the standard Audi sound system have an amp that I can tap off of?

·
Registered
9,032 Posts
the plan is to tap straight off the head unit preferably line out and bypass the amp totally. the slimline units have their own amps, you have gain and frequency crossover controls on the amp and a discreet volume unit you can stick somewhere to control the amount of extra bass. a local google search for under seat sub will find you retailers/installers. this solution will never be as good as a complete new system but i reckon that the return for your buck is pretty outstanding on any halfways ok standard ice...all of which can do treble and midrange but are usually shocking at bass.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
It's a really simple install, if your unsure about it then go to your local car stereo shop. The install will take a pro just 15-30 minutes so just a few extra $ over the price of the amped sub box for them to supply and fit. Plus by going there you'll be able to see/hear a selection and choose your favourite based on sound/cost etc

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've got all the parts left over from my sub install which I had in the A4 with B&O, and will install this into the new cab in the new few weeks. Previously I has made a fibreglass box which fitted into the recess in the side of the boot behind the panel where the B&O amp was, and moved the amp up and out of the way.
With the A5 Cab I'm planning on building a small sealed box that fits behind the rear seat, in the unused space behind one of the seats, still leaving the ability to fold one down to get longer items through. Eg snow board.
I will finalise the design once I have the car hopefully next weekend.

Amp - JL Audio XD600 with remote level adjustment.
Signal converter - Audio control LC2i
Sub - JL 10W3v3-4 (10" sub)

The signal comes off the existing sub speaker wires into the LC2i which sorts outs the levels for the amp. I'm not after loads of boy racer bass, just a bit more than the existing B&O provides, and this setup provided this perfectly in the A4. For non B&O you can still tap off the sub speaker as this is amplified, but not as much.

I'll do a project post in the next few weeks so keep an eye out.

TP

Attachments

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I've got all the parts left over from my sub install which I had in the A4 with B&O, and will install this into the new cab in the new few weeks. Previously I has made a fibreglass box which fitted into the recess in the side of the boot behind the panel where the B&O amp was, and moved the amp up and out of the way.
With the A5 Cab I'm planning on building a small sealed box that fits behind the rear seat, in the unused space behind one of the seats, still leaving the ability to fold one down to get longer items through. Eg snow board.
I will finalise the design once I have the car hopefully next weekend.

Amp - JL Audio XD600 with remote level adjustment.
Signal converter - Audio control LC2i
Sub - JL 10W3v3-4 (10" sub)

The signal comes off the existing sub speaker wires into the LC2i which sorts outs the levels for the amp. I'm not after loads of boy racer bass, just a bit more than the existing B&O provides, and this setup provided this perfectly in the A4. For non B&O you can still tap off the sub speaker as this is amplified, but not as much.

I'll do a project post in the next few weeks so keep an eye out.

TP
Good post, you do the hard work and I'll copy it! Don't forget to post up dimensions!!

Seriously though, I really will copy you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone tried wiring a new amp and sub into the existing mount? Seems like you could get a decent 8 inch in there and have a separate amp stashed in the boot?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sorry for going off topic slightly.. But I have owned my A5 convertible for about 3 years and never knew you could fold the rear seats down like that! - does it just pull down?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Has anyone tried wiring a new amp and sub into the existing mount? Seems like you could get a decent 8 inch in there and have a separate amp stashed in the boot?
Problem with trying to fit another sub into an existing enclosure is the size of the actual enclosure needs to be matched to sub.
Check the volume of the sub that you want and you will need to check what the oem one is.
Also bear in mind the oem one is crappy plastic so expect it to be flexing with bass thus defeating the whole point of a decent sounding sub
Ive just finished building a sub box for the A5 cab that uses a JL audio shallow mount sub, LC2 i to convert the high level inputs and a mono JL audio sub.
Sits up against the back seat and rear section of the boot floor. Allows the roof storage box to still be at its lowest position and have plenty of boot space still available. Does need to be removed when accessing the spare tyre area but proper connectors fitted dont make it an issue

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Sorry for going off topic slightly.. But I have owned my A5 convertible for about 3 years and never knew you could fold the rear seats down like that! - does it just pull down?
No they can only be folded from the boot area. open the boot and there are pull handles on each side to lower the seat backs

·
Registered
15 Posts
Problem with trying to fit another sub into an existing enclosure is the size of the actual enclosure needs to be matched to sub.
Check the volume of the sub that you want and you will need to check what the oem one is.
Also bear in mind the oem one is crappy plastic so expect it to be flexing with bass thus defeating the whole point of a decent sounding sub
Ive just finished building a sub box for the A5 cab that uses a JL audio shallow mount sub, LC2 i to convert the high level inputs and a mono JL audio sub.
Sits up against the back seat and rear section of the boot floor. Allows the roof storage box to still be at its lowest position and have plenty of boot space still available. Does need to be removed when accessing the spare tyre area but proper connectors fitted dont make it an issue
I would really like it in the OEM position just so it's out of the way. Do you know the physical dimensions of the oem sub and if an 8 inch replacement will fit straight in?

I'm not looking for super bass here so I should be alright with rattles, I just want it a bit louder than the poor B&O effort!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts