Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've scanned my s5 with a Carly adapter a couple of times and I'm getting a couple of speaker related codes I wondered if there was anything easy I could check.

The codes are:

P0BD5 - Subwoofer (R157)
and
P01A6 - Right rear DSP Midrange speaker (R106)

I've got the B&O system and through googling couldn't find anything useful on these codes.

I can't quite tell if the rear midrange speaker (which I think is the one just behind the right rear headrest?) is working to my ear as trying to isolate the balance and fader still seems to have output on the right rear section via the door speaker. Sub wise, the system doesn't feel super bass'y so suspect it's not working, but again not sure how to check. I've heard amp problems are common, but seeing as everything else is working, I'm not sure that's it.

Apart from the error codes, i'm not really seeing any problems from the sound system, no noticeable imbalance, no crackling or cut-outs or anything.

I thought perhaps I could check fuses and connectors/wiring, but couldn't see any specific fuses listed online which would make a difference and don't know where to look for the connectors/wiring (or even which speakers I should be looking at in the car).

Anyone got any tips on initial diagnosis of this kind of issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi mate. I'm in a similar situation in that my subwoofer definitely isn't working. I also ran with Carly and had a fault present for the subwoofer - so I assumed I would need to order a new one of those. Before I did that, I played around with the balance/fader and have established that I ONLY have audio from the 2x rear "door" speakers, which produce mid/low tones. I cannot quite tell if the small tweeters in the rear are working. The 2x tweeters in the dashboard are. The 2x speakers in each front door do not work. It's also a B&O system so there are about 12 speakers that I can count.

From what I've read, it would appear to be a problem with my amp - but would also like a way to test this if possible. I was linked to somewhere that offers repairs for the amp - and they describe that having channel issues would be a symptom of a defective amp, too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack your thread btw, I'm just looking for the same resolve I think haha!

Just to add - I have seen similar posts whereby water enters the boot via the gap between the strut and bodywork and water fouls the amp. I've checked mine and can't confirm any damp/water in this area.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like it could be an amp issue. The only weird thing is that when I clear the code, it can often go a week without the code coming back. I'll try and re-seat the cables into the amp and check for signs of water damage and let you know if anything helps/or I find anything obvious.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing I have noticed (not sure if this is just the car design). Is that after a wash or rain, when opening the boot, I get quite a lot of water which seems to run off the boot and pour down inside the rubber seal of the boot. It seems to pass over where the amp is but it tends to splash over the seal and into the boot itself, so not quite sure it would be getting into the amp compartment, but maybe it is?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I checked the material underneath the amp/nav drive in mine yesterday and it was saturated with water. Didn't have time to check where it was coming from but it didn't appear to be the boot leg. I would speculate the tail light and it's puddling underneath - the damage has probably been cause by condensation rather than direct water. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry for jumping on your thread but it’s the same issue. My audi A5 2018 SB with B&O as well. Subwoofer is definitely not working and I have crackling noise on the passenger door when i turn bass up to 50%. I changed driver door bass few months ago as well and I fee like the sound system is really bad. Any ideas on how to upgrade to a better system as my car dealer refused to fix it. Thank you all

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was poking around in some other forum threads and noticed a lot of the people talking about water ingress have the Cab s5 where the boot arm is placed over the top of the amp. I have the sportback so this I don't think is a problem for me, the top is a sealed unit.

@Drewy your comment on condensation and bootlight pooling is interesting I'll try to have a feel about for wetness (coming from a Cupra and wifes Passat both with wet footwell issues, I'm fairly versed in puddling type issues!). I don't think there is anything like that in my sportback at a glance but will try to rule it out and get back to the thread.

@aa5sb18 I'm not seeing any cracking or perceivable issues bar perhaps not massive bass output and the error codes which come and go. Again, will report back with any progress.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update! After some googling and realising the sub is under the spare tyre, I took out the tyre and seem to have found the cause of my problem...
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior

There was a tow bar where that cable was so I suspect it'd be forced in and dislodged the cable :s

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update! After some googling and realising the sub is under the spare tyre, I took out the tyre and seem to have found the cause of my problem... View attachment 182443
There was a tow bar where that cable was so I suspect it'd be forced in and dislodged the cable :s
Hi can you please post a picture of the cable ? Couldn’t find the cable on mine. Shall i remove the sub ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not super clear on the pic but you can see the cable here. It's on the left side closest to the rear of the car as you look from the back.
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Steering part

1 - 11 of 11 Posts