Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a new 2009 S5 for about two weeks now. (It is realy cool - even my wife, who thought I was crazy for trading in the A6, is coming around after a couple of drives). Just put in my first new tank of gas, and was surprised that my gas gauge stuck, continuing to show nearly empty! Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I believe that this could be a known fault and a TSB has already been issued for those that suffer this problem.

·
Registered
714 Posts
About 8 weeks ago I had 3/4 of a tank and filled the car up (long journey) but was surprised to find that when I got back in the car it still showed only 3/4 full. The "range" on the DIS had gone up though.

Over the course of the trip the needle eventually dropped and on filling up again went back to showing a completely full tank. I haven't had a problem since then and had forgotten all about it until I saw this post.

·
Registered
74 Posts
happened to my s5 on my first ever full tank after goin up and down a very very steep mountain road the needle was stuck at 3/4 and 'range' display was still displaying same value after 60km. next day after restarting the car, everything is working fine ever since . . .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gas gauge fixed by pulling fuse

Just to close the loop on this, the TSB simply called for pulling the fuse. Apparently, sometimes during transport, the car is at a steep incline, and this causes the gas gauge to stop working and go into a mode where it registers empty. (I don't know why the gas gauge was working fine when I got the car, and only stopped working when I filled it up.) They reset the software by pulling the fuse. It took about 5 minutes once the service department figured out what it had to do, and then figured out which fuse to pull.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hmm, despite several restarts, the gauge stayed on near empty, and the on-board computer showed range gradually reducing from 30 down to 0 miles. An overnight stop made no difference. However as an experiment I've just topped the tank up to full with £14 worth of diesel and the gauge went from zero to full. Unless the A5 has just done a 'Life on Mars' time travel thing back to early 80's fuel prices (that would be a neat trick) the fault seems to have been cured, though perhaps only temporarily. We'll see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.