Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Strange clicking sound.. Please watch video

Hi, I am quite new to this forum and wondered if anyone could help me. I have a strange clicking sound coming from my dashboard just above the navigation unit. It comes and goes and usually clicks 6 or 7 times. I have taken a video of it aswell. An someone give me any advice? Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Could it be the Hard Disk - mine clicks when starting or stopping....

Or the air con vents moving?

If its just little clicks i wouldnt worry, sounds like technical magic doing what its supposed to do...

·
Registered
216 Posts
wtf I dont think that is normal, never heard that in my A5.

If I was to guess I'd say that there is a stick or something caught in the air vents, and the vent airflow control is trying to move position and getting caught on the foreign object.

... Either that or something else mechanical is trying to move and getting caught on something, or something mechanical is broken.

Definitely not a Hard Drive... It's more of a physical thump rather than a high pitched head reposition click from a HDD.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Seem to recall another member having somthing similar and it turned out to be something to do with heater/air con relays or recirculation flap. Best do a search... some similar vids on Youtube. Try heater controls in different positions to see if it affects it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Did you find out the cause of this knocking sound? As I have the same issue ?

Reactions: MrSkimo

·
Registered
29 Posts
FIXED !

Clicking noise: happeneds when the heating system transfers from passenger to Diver side ratio distribution of hot / cold air. Often when you first turn the heating on or increase / decrease temperature of the passenger / driver side heating knobs.

The clicking is one of several stepper motors or the stepper motor arms failing. It will keep trying to relocate but fails so the clicking happeneds as it cannot latch on successfully.

Stealerships charge 10000000£ to fix. As they replace the motor and arms deep inside the back of the dash far behind the head unit radio.

However by simply unplugging the effected stepper motor is a free and effective way of resolving this painful issue.

This has happened on two of my previous mercedes clk's and now my A5.

Result of unplugging- minor air distribution air flow difference. Screen heater still works and can produce cool or hot air. Fault code when Obd is plugged in about the stepper motor is unplugged etc. No dramas to me as there is no clicking !

Total fix time: 30 mins
Tools: Small hands, electrical flat head screw driver to unclip electrical cable to the motor, 10mm socket to remove the facia plastic underneath the steering wheel around the footwell.

There are around 3 motor's- i took the passenger side glove box out to identify which motor it was as the mechanical functions are this side of the car and the motor itself is on the driver side (RHD UK SPEC CAR).

My luck the motor that was effected was the highest one to reach! Trail and error normally works but obvs do one at a time.

If this is helpful please make a sticky or like the post.

Any issues just ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi,

Thank you so much, I will have to try this.

I did take it to Audi and they quoted me £1700 to have it fixed as they said it will take 9 hours labor to take apart the dashboard.

Could I take your email address? in case I run into any problems as I am not the best with D.I.Y.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have the same issue with my 2008 S5 and I have followed your excellent write up, I thought I'd sorted it as I unplugged the middle one in the drivers side footwell and the clunking noise went, however then when I went for a drive the heating was just full on and even on low and with air con on it was just boiling air coming out.
Could you possibly help at all, any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards, Jamie..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have the same problem. I will attempt to fix myself by following the solution posted above, but would be interested to know if the overheating issue was resolved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guess what same problem! Isn't there a fuse that can be removed that would deactivate the air circulation thingy? I see there are 3 separate fuses that affect climate control.... Sorry if this is a dumb question

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have just finished sorting this today. Mine was the v158 motor. The hardest to get too. I modified the broken part with bolts a plastic rather than a new one (which would just break again) works a treat now.
Anyone in the southern area that needs a hand land me know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just finished sorting this today. Mine was the v158 motor. The hardest to get too. I modified the broken part with bolts a plastic rather than a new one (which would just break again) works a treat now.
Anyone in the southern area that needs a hand land me know.
Any pictures of your modified repair?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! Can anyone explain how do you reach that bracket?? What do you have to remove to get to it? I want to fix mine but i just want to know what parts i have to remove to reach to it! Any pics would be really helpfull! Thank you!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts