Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5000kms into my A5 and I noticed something yesterday. If I have the steering turned all the way to the left or right and have the reverse gear engaged, the car tends to hiccup and makes some wierd 'clacking' noise.

Anyone else having the same issue?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Do you mean when the car is moving and if so, does it get faster as the the speed of the car increases? If yes, then it sounds like a dodgy cv joint but I would be amazed if it could be bad at that mileage.
Does the sound come from one of the front wheels?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sound starts when I turn my steering to either extremes and begin to ease off the brakes when I am reversing while parking. The car tends to be jerky and shudders. It reduces if I turn the steering away from the extremes. I cant seem to figure out what could be the cause. Would it have anything to do with the steering pump?

I have noticed in my wife's Honda Accord that when you turn your steering to the extreme when reversing, the steering begins to wobble and act like its got a mind of its own! I wonder if I am making any sense here....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like a tire is rubbing part of the cars body. I had this once, I changes alloys and tire on a 4WD but the tire touched the inside of the wheel arch when I turned hard. Same occurred in forward and reverse.

Is it happening on any particular wheel of does it seem to come from the engine?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like its coming from the underneath of the car. I doubt its the tyre cos it still is the stock set. When I turn the steering fully it does give the rubbery slippy sound (even when I am on a rough tarmac). And once I step on the gas it starts hiccuping and making the clacking sound...

Would stock wheels hit the sidewalls?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check the power steering fluid. It's a common problem with Audis. If the level is less than half full, have the dealer add more fluid.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My dealer checked mine after I reported the identical fault, and claimed there was nothing wrong, and that their 08 plate S5 in the showroom did exactly the same thing...

Not much use, but I have it in writing, so that if it causes a problem in the future, Audi are culprable.

T

·
Registered
231 Posts
My dealer checked mine after I reported the identical fault, and claimed there was nothing wrong, and that their 08 plate S5 in the showroom did exactly the same thing...

Not much use, but I have it in writing, so that if it causes a problem in the future, Audi are culprable.

T
my car makes a whining( metal on metal) sound when reversing. i heard a 3.0 diesel reversing the other day and it made an identical sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts