Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Sponsor
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just to keep the folk that might be interested up to date, and in the interest in transparency because this is just as much of a passion project as it is a business.
Website is built, design done, branding ready, packaging ordered, products en route. Things are getting close to the opening day. Today the first batch of samples and products arrived at last, everything is looking good apart from a few QA issues with the carbon-fibre keyhole covers. This first bunch of products are off for photographing now, so with just another few batches of items to arrive and be photographed we're looking on track to open the doors to everyone before the end of April.

As for the other side of the business, universal dynamic sweeping indicators, things are progressing quickly. The circuitry is planned out, important components selected, and concept proven. The next step is to trial our controller on a genuine set of lamps before we can move towards full scale production and public offering of the dynamic conversion service. This service most likely will be mail in, send us your head/tail lights and we'll modify your DRL/indicators to show any from a selection of moving patterns. Expect another update on that around June.

A quick couple questions, as we're struggling to decide on a few final details:
Payment methods: we've already sorted accepting credit & debit cards, and the ever present PayPal. Are there any other payment methods people prefer, crypto, bank transfer, whatever makes your lives easier we're happy to investigate.
Shipping: Currently the plan is to include free shipping on all orders, which would be Royal Mail 2nd class for smaller items, and MyHermes for the larger packages. Shipping outside the UK will be dealt with on an individual basis (please contact us before making an order if you're not based in the UK). Would you like to see priority/next-day shipping as an option, alternate couriers?
Products: Something you're struggling to find in the UK? Or just can't find anyone that stocks what you're after at a reasonable price? Let us know and we'll have a root around to see what we can offer. Who knows, if your suggestion is good we might have a little thank-you treat for you ;)

Any thoughts? Any questions? Throw them this way.

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
shipping

Hi All,
Shipping: Currently the plan is to include free shipping on all orders, which would be Royal Mail 2nd class for smaller items, and MyHermes for the larger packages. Shipping outside the UK will be dealt with on an individual basis (please contact us before making an order if you're not based in the UK). Would you like to see priority/next-day shipping as an option, alternate couriers?
Products: Something you're struggling to find in the UK? Or just can't find anyone that stocks what you're after at a reasonable price? Let us know and we'll have a root around to see what we can offer. Who knows, if your suggestion is good we might have a little thank-you treat for you ;)

Any thoughts? Any questions? Throw them this way.
Sounds good, however as a word of caution shipping can be problematic at the best of times- especially with regular volumes.
I had an MMI unit 'lost' at the Coventry depot last year- all scanned in but never put out for delivery, and nobody was remotely interested- I'd booked it through Parcel2go so my 'contract' was with them and Hermes were off the hook- moral of this story is use the appropriate insurance option to the value of the goods at all times, as their small print means if you don't and something happens you won't be reimbursed- unless you fancy taking them to court..
I personally think Royal Mail are pretty good for smaller items, however a 'signed for' return of mine was left outside the back door and 'dissapeared' last week in Peterborough too, so nothing is 100% safe.
Parcelforce 48 are good for larger items, but again, a set of tyres I sent were left outside a front door flat in a Glasgow block last year- but as I got email notification of delivery I called the guy straight away and he rushed home and they were still there..
The safest company are UPS in my experience, as they (certainly used to) run a very tight ship- a military style operation.
Best of luck going forward Eamonn.

·
Sponsor
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good, however as a word of caution shipping can be problematic at the best of times- especially with regular volumes.

I had an MMI unit 'lost' at the Coventry depot last year- all scanned in but never put out for delivery, and nobody was remotely interested- I'd booked it through Parcel2go so my 'contract' was with them and Hermes were off the hook- moral of this story is use the appropriate insurance option to the value of the goods at all times, as their small print means if you don't and something happens you won't be reimbursed- unless you fancy taking them to court..

I personally think Royal Mail are pretty good for smaller items, however a 'signed for' return of mine was left outside the back door and 'dissapeared' last week in Peterborough too, so nothing is 100% safe.

Parcelforce 48 are good for larger items, but again, a set of tyres I sent were left outside a front door flat in a Glasgow block last year- but as I got email notification of delivery I called the guy straight away and he rushed home and they were still there..

The safest company are UPS in my experience, as they (certainly used to) run a very tight ship- a military style operation.

Best of luck going forward Eamonn.
All very true. I am well aware of the less than stellar reputation of MyHermes, so might have to use a more reliable courier. DPD is my current top choice, depending on costs.

Royal Mail are generally trouble free, and will only be for smaller things, items below £20 or so, that'll fit in through your letterbox. Could possibly offer UPS as a 24 hour option? As you say, they seem to be the most reliable by a wide margin.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Dpd are the best in my view, maybe my opinion of Hermes is coloured by how absolutely shit they were when they first came on the scene but if a company uses Hermes it still puts me off a bit - there doesn't seem to be any urgency with them. I've got a boot switch being delivered by them just now that seems to have stalled.

UPS and FedEx have taken behind dpd a bit with the tracking and delivery slot options.

I sell coffee by mail order, RM small parcel goes up to a decent size and is £2.95 which is pretty hard to beat.

·
Sponsor
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems like it is might be worth scrapping the Hermes plan then
I haven't had too much issue personally with them apart from once they rang my doorbell, acknowledged me waving out of the window telling them I'm coming down, and leaving anyway...
DPD it is.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Yes. Please do not use hermes. biggest bunch of thieving scum around. Payment methods you currently have look fine, just see how you go and im sure you'll get feedback from customers if you need an extra payment method.

·
Registered
55 Posts
+1 for DPD. Avoid Hermes and Yodel. I've had Yodel say that someone imaginary at my property signed for (and took delivery of) my package when it was actually left with my neighbours.

·
Registered
9,032 Posts
if herpes and nodel are the carriers of choice I wont buy off the vendor.....just saying.

I wont wait in all day for a delivery that doesn't turn up at all when I can get an accurate delivery time window and the name of the delivery driver and track the progress with DPD.

·
Sponsor
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if herpes and nodel are the carriers of choice I wont buy off the vendor.....just saying.

I wont wait in all day for a delivery that doesn't turn up at all when I can get an accurate delivery time window and the name of the delivery driver and track the progress with DPD.
Fair enough, no herpes for you. RM and DPD will be the way forward

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looking forward to browing the site.

As above, stick with the main payment types for added safety for yourself and your customers.

Through my work we use Parcelforce 24/48 and DPD both in my experience are reliable and if something goes missing or damaged you can claim upto a certain amount with the option to pay extra for insuring more expensive items.

As you're a new business, stay with the more reputable companies to help mitigate bad experiences for your customers.

Really hope this goes great for you, good luck.

And looking forward to seeing the dynamic indicators in action as well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
In terms of new product opportunities, I wonder if IngolWorks could develop a mod for the boot to spring-up more effectively when released by the fob.

·
Sponsor
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In terms of new product opportunities, I wonder if IngolWorks could develop a mod for the boot to spring-up more effectively when released by the fob.
For the sportback? I bought a simple spring that did the trick, if anything it's a bit too strong, for coupe only though as I don't believe the sportback uses any springs.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My car is a cabriolet and it seems to have a plunger assembly - I think the trick would to be the correct spring tension and damper to avoid any injuries.

·
Sponsor
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From looking at the parts diagram, all I can see doing anything is a gas strut. Not sure what you can do to improve things, only thought I have so far is attaching a spring as per below in my high quality drawing. Even then that might make it worse, hard to tell without playing with it in reality.
What's the exact problem? It doesn't pop up all the way on its own?

·
Registered
132 Posts
What's the exact problem? It doesn't pop up all the way on its own?
All that happens is that when you pop the boot lid using the key fob is that it pops open about an inch. It would be cool if the boot opened all the way into the fully open position, for example if your arms are full of shopping. Audi probably designed it the current way for security so that if you engage the fob boot release in your pocket by accident, you don't come back to a boot full of rain water or having your stuff nicked. I need to check, but I think I read somewhere that the newer cars have a full boot release. I was actually wondering if a coil over spring under compression on the gas strut might work.

·
Sponsor
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ooooh I'm a happy chap. The last things arrived today, looks like we're on for a Monday opening! My boot is currently rammed full of honeycomb fog grilles... just gotta get those photographed tonight, then a few tweaks and we are go!

·
Sponsor
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds good. Don't forget it's a bank holiday on Monday though. 👍
Gives me all the more time to sort things, and all the more freetime for people to shop

1 - 19 of 19 Posts