Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stop It!!! Rotora 6-pot Big Brake Kit

New to the market... Rotora BBK, 6 piston calipers, 355mm slotted rotor, stainless steel lines, etc. etc. The calipers on my car are chome finished - standard available caliper colors are red and blue.

This kit is available for fronts only and retail price (I believe) will be $2395.

As you can see, clears factory 18" wheels with no modification or spacers, should clear all other factory wheels as well.

Huge thanks to the guys at Rotora for pulling this together for me the day before SEMA - sorry for the so-so pics, picked it up in the dark last night and today it's raining so these were taken in my garage - when they return from SEMA and when I finally get my new wheels on we'll all go take some better photos.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
What was wrong with the Audi set up?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Post says they are 18in but they do look a bit small.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing wrong with the OEM set up... just wanted to change/upgrade to a bigger brake kit. Those wheels are factory 5-spoke 18s here in the US.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Lovely looking Brakes.... How many pistons do they have ??

(Sorry, but for that money i would of bought Nicer Wheels :))

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes yes yes, I know... new wheels are on the way.... ordered back in June and should be here "soon".

Those 5-spoke wheels are Audi OEM non-S-line wheels.

Rotora wanted to make sure they had something to fit under the factory 18" wheels, and when my new wheels arrive (19") I will probably upgrade to an 8-piston kit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
is the stopping power considerably better with this set-up ?

·
Registered
457 Posts
And is Rotora going to be the first to release a rear kit w/ e-brake? Would be fabulous if someone finally does.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
And is Rotora going to be the first to release a rear kit w/ e-brake? Would be fabulous if someone finally does.
That's what i'm waiting for. No way will I do front only.
I will only do Brembo as well. Both Rotora and AP Racing develop some pretty harsh squeal as the shims get older.....

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I haven't done anything more than spirited normal driving since I've had the brakes installed, but from past experience, when pushed harder I would expect better performance with less fade.

The OEM brake setup was more than adequate for everyday driving.

As for the rear kit, there are no plans to make a rear BBK setup because of the e-brake issue. I believe they will release some new rotors (slotted and cross-drilled) for OEM replacement, but a whole kit probably not.

If you're concerned about upgrading the front brakes only - Stop Tech has been pushing this for years, you can read their thinking here --> http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_rearbrake_upgrades.shtml

Sizzle, I don't know about the squeal - I ran a Rotora kit on my previous car for 2+ years and about 30K miles and it was one of the quietest brakes I've ever had - I actually have had a lot more squeal, sooner, on factory systems than I ever heard from the Rotora kit. Obviously if there is a Brembo fitment available and price-wise it was at an acceptable point, then more power to you - Brembo kits are awesome, just pricey.... and most owners will never come close to utilizing the full potential of the brakes or approach the limits of what they can do beyond the OEM setup or a more basic intermediate upgrade.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Sizzle, I don't know about the squeal - I ran a Rotora kit on my previous car for 2+ years and about 30K miles and it was one of the quietest brakes I've ever had - I actually have had a lot more squeal, sooner, on factory systems than I ever heard from the Rotora kit. Obviously if there is a Brembo fitment available and price-wise it was at an acceptable point, then more power to you - Brembo kits are awesome, just pricey.... and most owners will never come close to utilizing the full potential of the brakes or approach the limits of what they can do beyond the OEM setup or a more basic intermediate upgrade.
Could have just been the setup or the design for the 350Z. If I can get some assurance that the Rotora's would remain quiet, then that would keep it on the option list.

FWIW, the AP Racing kit I went to from Rotora squealed three times louder....:(

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Could have just been the setup or the design for the 350Z. If I can get some assurance that the Rotora's would remain quiet, then that would keep it on the option list.

FWIW, the AP Racing kit I went to from Rotora squealed three times louder....:(
Odd, I was on an Infiniti FX35 so it's the same Nissan parts bin, basically. The brake shims seem to me that it should be an easily replaceable part if one is not performing up to your standards.

Bump this thread in about 10K miles and I'll give you an update ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts