Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to collect info on ride heights and lowering with H/R springs but am still confused..

Can someone help me sort out how high my (Swedish) A5 3.0 tdi would be with the 1" H&R springs?

This is what I have understood so far (and I may very well be mis-informed):

This is info provided by Audi Sweden: On the swedish market there are three different ride heights on the A5:

1. Std
2. Sport chassis (lowered 20 mm)
3. S-line sport (lowered 30 mm. It says -10 mm in the broschure but the Audi dealer told me that it was 10 mm lower than the sport chassis == 30 mm total)

OK so far.

Now, I have the sport chassis (lowered 20 mm). If I put the 1" H&R springs on my car, how much would it further be lowered?

(1 inch = 25 mm)

So confusing to me!

Hope someone can sort this out for me!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I think your car will only be 25mm lower, as your replacing the springs not adding to them.

I think H&R lowering quotes are against standard suspension, so most likely using the 1 inch lowering will lower your car a total of 25mm - 30mm (30mm maybe because you have the sports suspension so may sit that extra 5mm lower) over the standard car but thats me guessing.

I've seen A5s lowered with the H&R 1 inch springs and they look as low as a standard S5 to me. You could always get the 1.3 inch springs....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info!

However, I saw these photos on the s5 forum which shows Ess5ive's S5 before and after replacing the std S5 springs with the 1" H&R's.

I would estimate my A5 sport to be roughly the same height as the std s5. So on these pictures it looks as if the H&R springs lowers by around 1" from the std s5 ride height which looks to be the same height as my A5 sport.

Anyone willing to comment on this? I would appreciate it!

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks Ianhp1 for sorting this out for me.

OK so here it goes:

the 1" H/R spring refers to the standard S5 height. So by mounting the 1" springs on the A5 it will be 1" lower than the standard S5.

Now, the standard S5 is 20 mm lower than the standard A5 in Sweden. Same as the sport chassis on the A5.

So in short: My A5 sport will be 1" lower (=25 mm lower)than what it is today if I mounted the 1" springs.

To summarize:
The A5 sport will be 25 mm lower
An A5 S-line would be 15 mm lower
A standard A5 would be 45 mm lower

Thanks for clearing this out! Hope this is correct now.. going to change the springs next week !:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My god, even Audi dealers don't know what's up with the ride heights on their own vehicles it seems!

Now I am even more confused!

Can someone share some light over this? How much lower than stock will my A5 3.0 TDI sport be with the 1" H&R springs?

Thankful for any help!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have made little investigation and it looks like this:

comfort suspension - lowering 0mm, H&R - 25 mm lower
sport suspension - lowering 0 mm, H&R - 25 mm lower
S-line suspension - lowering 10 mm, H&R - 15 mm lower
S5 suspension - lowering 10 mm, H&R - 15 mm lower

These are official numbers and on fully loaded car, so when the car is not loaded, it is slightly different, lowering is little bit more.

I have decided for Eibach springs, which arrived today. So I let know how it looks. They say -25 mm front, -20mm rear.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I have made little investigation and it looks like this:

comfort suspension - lowering 0mm, H&R - 25 mm lower
sport suspension - lowering 0 mm, H&R - 25 mm lower
S-line suspension - lowering 10 mm, H&R - 15 mm lower
S5 suspension - lowering 10 mm, H&R - 15 mm lower

These are official numbers and on fully loaded car, so when the car is not loaded, it is slightly different, lowering is little bit more.

I have decided for Eibach springs, which arrived today. So I let know how it looks. They say -25 mm front, -20mm rear.
'
Those Eibach should look good!

If I had to criticise the H&R it's that the angle of the car has changed (it used to dip from back to the front) it's now flat, which looks aggresive, but the lines are designed for the car to be a little higher at the back... it may seem tiny, but 5mm could make a big difference in maintaining the original 'look'.

...WHEN I go for the coilovers, this will be a consideration in setting the height.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
if those heights are right that will be why the 3.0tdi isnt as harsh with just springs

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
'
Those Eibach should look good!

If I had to criticise the H&R it's that the angle of the car has changed (it used to dip from back to the front) it's now flat, which looks aggresive, but the lines are designed for the car to be a little higher at the back... it may seem tiny, but 5mm could make a big difference in maintaining the original 'look'.

...WHEN I go for the coilovers, this will be a consideration in setting the height.
Bingo!!

The 1" springs for whatever reason takes away from the "rake" or more aggressively lowered front that the original springs possess. The more aggressive springs that I have keeps the rake intact. Peculiar why H&R did not add this to their less aggressive 1" springs.

If you look at the front of the vehicles with a 1" drop, you will notice a bit more wheel gap than normal. This is due to the flat stance.

I have H&R Coilovers now and will be adding in a bit of rake once I get them installed...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Anyone have there S-Line lowered with the H&R 1"?

If so hows the ride quality?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
hey people just wondering will lowering the car mess with the warranty? THANKS
Audi would have to prove that the lowering caused the defect.....not likely.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Suspension Lowering

I checked the A4 brochure just to compare options against the A5 and under Sports Suspension it was written that the car sports suspension is lowered by 20mm while the S-line is further lowered by 10mm (total 30mm).

The A5 brochure does not state that the sports is lowered by 20mm but does state that the s-line is lowered by a further 10mm. Therefore i would conclude, and logically so, that the A5 is lowered by 20mm with a sports suspension and the A5 brochure is misprinted.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I checked the A4 brochure just to compare options against the A5 and under Sports Suspension it was written that the car sports suspension is lowered by 20mm while the S-line is further lowered by 10mm (total 30mm).

The A5 brochure does not state that the sports is lowered by 20mm but does state that the s-line is lowered by a further 10mm. Therefore i would conclude, and logically so, that the A5 is lowered by 20mm with a sports suspension and the A5 brochure is misprinted.
No, the A5 brochure is NOT misprinted - neither brochure is misprinted, that is exactly how it is. A5 is lower by standard, hence the sport suspension does not lower it further, it just stiffens it (and S-line sport lower only by an additional 10 mm).

On the A4:
Standard - not lowered
Sport - lowered 20 mm
S-line - lowered 30 mm

On the A5:
Standard - not lowered, but naturally 20 mm lower than A4 in comparison
Sport - not lowered compared to standard
S-line - lowered 10 mm (thus 30 mm lowered compared to A4 standard)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Analysis

No, the A5 brochure is NOT misprinted - neither brochure is misprinted, that is exactly how it is. A5 is lower by standard, hence the sport suspension does not lower it further, it just stiffens it (and S-line sport lower only by an additional 10 mm).

On the A4:
Standard - not lowered
Sport - lowered 20 mm
S-line - lowered 30 mm

On the A5:
Standard - not lowered, but naturally 20 mm lower than A4 in comparison
Sport - not lowered compared to standard
S-line - lowered 10 mm (thus 30 mm lowered compared to A4 standard)
ok i went back to the ever misguiding brochures, the ground clearance is not mentioned on the A4 but the ground to rear bumber measures 673mm as apposed of 669mm on the A5 (i assume without sports suspension). Thats a 4mm difference.

this is from the brochures...

Damper Regulation: Both A4 and A5 cars with damper regulation can be lowered by 20mm (i.e. sports mode).

Sports Suspension: A4 states its lowered by 20mm while A5 does not state that

S-line: A4 states that it is lowered 10mm further to the sports suspension (total 30mm). A5 states it is lowered by 10mm

Now if you notice in the A4, it all makes sense...the s-line is the lowest at 30mm, followed by sports suspension and damper in sports setting both at 20mm

A5 should follow the same, the lowest should be the s-line followed by sports and damper in sports setting. but if the A5 sline is only 10mm then the damper would be lower at 20mm (and thats not logical) also if the A4 sline is lower by 30mm and A5 sline only by 10mm because we assume the A5 is already lower then why are the damper option given the same height?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I do not know, nor did I really mean to imply, that A5 is actually 20 mm lower than A4 - I don't know the exact amount. Traditionally on Audis it has been 20 mm for sport and 30 mm for S line, A5 seems to be different. I have here a local (Finland) pricelist that specifically says the sports suspension does not lower compared to standard on A5 (it says this directly, not by omission) - and I have also seen the brochures you mention and they would seem to support this.

Interestingly, though, the British A5 pricelist (see audi.co.uk) does say sports suspension lowers by 20 mm. If that information is correct, then it would in fact seem like a misprint. However, the German A5 pricelist does not mention anything of the sort - which would again suggest that the British list is wrong.

But I concede there is some confusion over this - any more clarification would be appreciated! Your theory that the brochures have just left out the mention of the 20 mm is a possibility.

Thanks for the input all of you.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I checked again both new A4 and A5 generic 2008 model year European (English) paper brochures and for the A4 it clearly states that sport is lowered by 20 mm and S-line lowered by 10 mm compared sport.

However, for the A5 it just as clearly makes no mention of lowering for sport and for S-line says lowered by 10 mm - and does not make any comparison to anything, just says plainly lowered by 10 mm.

Again, the Finnish pricelist explicitly also says sport does not lower. But now we also have the pricelist on audi.co.uk saying sport lowers by 20 mm, which would seem to contradict this information.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Dont assume the brochure is right though. The first A5 brochure for UK had S line listed as an option and a W11 engine option (amongst other things).

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yeah, we have contradicting information here from various sources, so obviously one or some of them is wrong (or some model year/geographic market differentation is at play, which I doubt though):

- Generic A5 English brochure, the thick printed kind (2008): no mention of lowering for sport, mentions 10 mm for S-line (apparently as in 10 mm lower than standard, it does not compare the lowering to sport like the A4 brochure does)
- Finnish A5 pricelist: says explicitly sport does not lower, says S-line 10 mm
- British A5 pricelist: says explicitly sport lowers by 20 mm
- (And the first poster says Audi Sweden also says sport lowers by 20 mm...?)

If sport does not lower at all, the misunderstanding by some dealers and even country organizations would be understandable (at least to some degree) since sport usually lowers by 20 mm and S-line by 30 mm on similar Audi vehicles...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts