Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have 2013 A5 and in the last few years the steering wheel would give a knocking sensation sometimes while turning (especially during the colder days). It's as if something is tapping on the steering wheel column fairly hard, but the wheel doesn't move in any unexpected way.

My dad's 2013 Camry also had the same weird knocking sensation but much more frequently. The Camry guys says it's a problem with the intermediate steering shaft. The factory lube would dry up and the resistance during turning would somehow be misinterpreted by the electronic power steering and cause the weird knocking sound/sensation.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/intermediate-steering-shaft/8k1419753h/

So all I did was find the shaft by following the steering wheel down to the firewall. There is a rubber boot that separates the inside of the car from the outside. I put some grease on my finger and lubricated the contact area between the boot and the metal shaft. I extended and retracted the steering wheel a few times and also turned it fully left and right a few times to ensure all contact surfaces were lubricated. I used brake caliper grease that's safe on rubber and won't run off.

That fixed it! It's been about 3 months since I did this fix for my A5 and my dad's Camry. So far, the steering wheel has been smooth like new without any knocking sensations.

Alex

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Yep a common issue, more so on earlier models, but this maybe because with age, they dry up or wear.

My old 2009 coupe did it when engine was fully warm or warm weather. Audi do have a TSB on it and use 'special' spray grease. :)

I actually removed the shaft from the car, only took about 20 mins, put it on the garage bench, cleaned the joint with WD40, then smothered in oil and grease. Putting it back in was a pain with the boot seal!

It came back 6 months later, so rather than remove it again, I just squirted lithium grease at it and massaged lithium grease into the joints. That lasted until I sold it. :)

So have it worse where it partial seizes making turning the wheel difficult.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just lubed the part where the steering shaft meets the rubber boot. Dave lubed the u-joint. I decided to lube the rubber boot part first, because I didn't want to go through the trouble of taking off the shaft. It worked, so I stopped, but you may need to lube the u-joint if you get a notchy feeling too. I've read that seafoam penetrating oil works well on the u-joints.

You can take off the shaft fairly easily, but remember to make alignment marks on the shaft, so when you put it back on, the steering wheel remains centered with the wheels.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just lubed the part where the steering shaft meets the rubber boot. Dave lubed the u-joint. I decided to lube the rubber boot part first, because I didn't want to go through the trouble of taking off the shaft. It worked, so I stopped, but you may need to lube the u-joint if you get a notchy feeling too. I've read that seafoam penetrating oil works well on the u-joints.

You can take off the shaft fairly easily, but remember to make alignment marks on the shaft, so when you put it back on, the steering wheel remains centered with the wheels.
Great tips, thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts