Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read so many differing opinions on the steering; Some say it's feelsome with good info as to what's going on up front, others say it's traditional Audi numb. I think I'll have to experience it for myself to know for sure, and I think it's a little unfair with the constant comparisons to the 3ers steering feel as this is more a GT than a sports car(something the automotive press has yet to come to terms with, from what I read).

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
To be honest, I didnt like the steering feel on the test drive.

With the servotronic steering, it's even more numb at lower speeds. The steering is incredibly light.

On the motorway it became a little more heavier, but yea, I still couldn't feel much of the road through the steering.

In comparisson to my alfa GT's steering, I actually prefer the alfa. It's got a much greater feel of the road, albeit, it has the turning circle of an 18 wheeler.

·
Registered
106 Posts
To be honest, I didnt like the steering feel on the test drive.

With the servotronic steering, it's even more numb at lower speeds. The steering is incredibly light.

On the motorway it became a little more heavier, but yea, I still couldn't feel much of the road through the steering.

In comparisson to my alfa GT's steering, I actually prefer the alfa. It's got a much greater feel of the road, albeit, it has the turning circle of an 18 wheeler.
Let's face it, Audi's have hardly been known for steering feel and I don't think that will change massively, although the sports suspension is pretty tough over potholes so whether that counts as steering feel LOL

·
Registered
318 Posts
Audi has taken the middle road with steering feel. Even worse, examine the average Mercedes and it's lack of communication with the road, including it's ability to wallow through the corners. BMW is on the other end of the spectrum, and for some reason, Audi engineers (possibly due to lawyers) see it fit to keep it in the middle. Shame. Audi knows how to get steering feel right on the R8 and RS4, but I guess the rest of the cars get the feather-weight steering. The MK2 TT is horrible and if the S5 is like that, I'll be disappointed. However, I like 90% of the rest of the car, so I'll still be buying one...

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
It's actually fine at higher speeds (because of the servotronic steering). But at low speeds, it can feel slightly weird with it being so light. If i had something to compare it to, I would say it's like playing a driving game on the computer with a steering wheel.

I'm actually used to it now, I have to say. The more you drive it the more you get to like it and realise how it actually is very useful.

·
Registered
66 Posts
"I'm actually used to it now, I have to say. The more you drive it the more you get to like it and realise how it actually is very useful."

Yeah it takes getting used to, and once you are, you'd realise that alot of what you thought was "feel" on other cars are totally fake, great example renaults, while steering you can actually "feel" the motors in the car turning the steering wheel for you, still not as bad but just as horrid, toyota rav4 turns the wheel bump bump bumo bump. some of the cars nowadays are so bad it's actually funny, look at the chinese cars... well atleast they'll do well in lowering the population of certain countries.

·
Registered
275 Posts
After spending 1500 kms behind the wheel over 2 days in germany, I developped more experience and feel to the S5's steering.

No problems, it is fine. I did notice that when driving over 140 km/h, if you make little steering movements left to right ( not even weaving the car), the car does feel a little numb and funny. Other than that, no issues, and pleasant to have the lighter feel when driving slow in town, and the heavier feel when on the autobahn...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts