Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got any idea what might be the cause of a slight clunk sound and light bump through the wheel?

It’s infrequent, which is confusing. I’ve noticed it while bar parking and going from full lock to full lock, it happened around the middle. Stopped and repeated the manoeuvre and couldn’t replicate it.

It also happened twice today while just driving normally at low speed, while turning the wheel fairly slowly and not very far.

It may well happen at higher speed but be too small to notice.

I would have guessed maybe it’s the Quattro system or something while engaging reverse to drive or vice versa, but today ruled that out as it happened after moving off.

Car is totally stock (except a Bobby Singh remap) 2012 facelift, 3.0 Quattro.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Are you on P-Zeros?
If so, not uncommon when slow manoeuvring or from a stop on slopes / surface changes etc..

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Is it a knock when turning the steering wheel rather than a driveline clunk when moving?

The steering column clunk is a known issue. Have you tried when stationary? Does it do it more after a drive or when it's warm? The weather was warmer yesterday. :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it a knock when turning the steering wheel rather than a driveline clunk when moving?

The steering column clunk is a known issue. Have you tried when stationary? Does it do it more after a drive or when it's warm? The weather was warmer yesterday. <a href="http://www.a5oc.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" >:)</a>
I haven’t noticed it a lot, maybe a handful of times, but all recently so I’m concerned a new thing means a problem.

The thing that’s most annoying is that it’s infrequent and inconsistent. I’ve only noticed it when moving, but then I never turn the wheel when stationary.

I would guess at steering rather than driveline, as it has happened after I’ve already moved off. I mean, it definitely isn’t something that happens only as it comes under load, like when the clutch comes in for example.

Can’t MAKE it do it by doing a particular thing as far as I can tell.

Weird. Marginally concerning. Mildly irritating.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Well if it is purely the steering that makes the noise - it sounds like a dull clunk, like a dodgy knee? You can feel like a slight 'snag' when turning the wheel fully :)

There is a TSB for Technicians to apply a 'special' lubricant :)

I just removed mine as it was only doing it when warm (over the summer), cleaned it with plenty of WD40, then greased it up with a bit of my Sturaco oil additive and worked it in until silky smooth.

Now no clunks!

The universal joint on the end of the steering column shaft is exposed to the elements so had dried up! It comes out easy, but getting it back in with the rubber boots and seals is fiddly especially when its covered in grease! So I would just disconnect from steering rack and clean/lube it up still on the car from underneath.

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds plausible. Also sounds like it can wait for a bit. Will get it do it for the next service or something ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Good suggestions here. Mine also clunks a bit, but I have solid end links for my front and rear ARB and I would perhaps suggest you look into if yours are noisy too, even if they are the OEM rubber items..

Regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I know this post is a bit old, however I still want to share my solution with you.

I've had te same issue with my Audi A5 3.2FSI Quattro from 2010. With my car I had to do a lot of investigation because the knocking wasn't always apparent, and the are so many parts involved in the steering and suspension of a car. The symptoms for my car were as followed:

• The clunk/knock only occurred after 20 minutes of driving when the engine was at operating temperature.
  • The sound came from the right and the left side of the car
  • The sound was noticeable after turning the wheel about 30 degrees. (You could hear a clunk/knock and feel it in the steering wheel)
  • The sound especially occurred at low speeds, and sometimes even at speeds of 80 km/h (50mph)

Here I have some Youtube videos of examples of the sound:
and

The problem became worse as time went by. I went to an official Audi Dealer, they investigated the the full steering rack and full suspension of the car. But they couldn't find the anything. After a lot of searching I finally found the solution.

The problem for me turned out to be the intermediate steering shaft (OEM part number: 8K1419753H). After replacing this part the problem was solved. We are still guessing how this is possible (maybe there was a period where some bad intermediate steering shafts where made. Who knows... ). However our best guess why it only occurred after a 20 minute drive was the fact, that the exhaust of the V6 and V8 models run close to the intermediate steering shaft. We think that because of the high temperature of the exhaust pipe, the lubrication of the part became worse resulting in a knocking sound when the engine gets to operating temperature.

I am so happy i finally solved the problem, because it really effects the enjoyment of driving the car. I sincerely hope this helps to solve your problem as well!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Yes, this clunk is known to Audi and is the intermediate shaft on pre-face lift models. Audi have a TSB for it and will either spray lithium grease on the joint or replace it.

My 09 A5 did it, but only when warm, like you say, the heat from the exhaust etc makes it more apparent. Keeping it well lubed seems to keep it clunk free.

Reactions: Audi_A5_Josh
1 - 11 of 11 Posts