Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Definitely a worthy, transparent (this is a good thing) upgrade.

The car feels more, in a word, cohesive. The front is directly in tune with the rear now. At any speed, the front end feels more connected, bites and turns in more aggresively and feels planted to the intended course, but all of it is quite subtle, what with it not giving an increase in noise or performance levels like an exhaust. The rear follows the course since the front end now pushes considerably less.

Also, the car corners much flatter as well. There is a considerable amount less roll.

What I think is the best part is how it isn't an obnoxious upgrade, like said exhaust. For the price I'd say it's the best best bang for the buck upgrade you can do. Definitely gets my recommendation.

Also noted: better high-speed stability. It was pretty stable in stock form, but there's a noticeable difference.

You should all do yourselves a favor and do this. A faultless upgrade... or at least for as far as I've had it... for a day :p

If I do have a complaint, which seems doubtful, I'll report it here.

·
Registered
186 Posts
To someone that never heard of this before, what is it really? how easy to install? and what does it cost?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
www.stasisengineering.com

It replaces the rear sway bar, which is 21.7mm in circumference, while this one is 28mm in circumference. Makes the rear stiffer relative to the front, allowing for better turn-in, stability, less roll, etc.

The piece costs about US$270 from the above website, and installation should take no more than 45min to an hour at a good shop.

Again, I highly recommend this upgrade. By far the most underappreciated mod. It's cheap and greatly changes the car's handling behavior for the better.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've already noted that the rear of the car is on the stiff side already, not sure that I'd want it any stiffer. Especially over quick bumps in the road you can feel that that rear suspension is kind of hard setup.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Swedie,

I wouldn't say that the sway bar or anti roll bar as its referred to here noticebly makes the car that much more harsh from bumps. I guess to simplify it a bit there are three things going on in a suspension

1) Spring - this will be the major determining factor for how harsh your ride is. When encountering a bump the spring will determine how much deflection you will be able to have. I've been in a lot of cars and modded cars and the S5 does have a fairly harsh stock suspension. I think there are numerous cases on here where people have lowered with coilovers and have actually been able to dial in a better ride quality…that tells me the stock springs are a bit on the firm side.

2) Shock - this is the damper which will keep the car from bouncing (controls rebound speed of a bump) and in control on the road. This should be match to the spring rate of the spring so that they work together.

3) Other suspension components - control arms, sway bars, bushings, etc. This is the talk between items 1 and 2 and the chassis and frame of the car. How much it will sway in a turn, understeer/oversteer, etc..

So I guess what I am saying is that adding a sway bar doesn't nescessily make the ride that much more harsh it will make the car feel more planted on the road.

Crespo,

I've been to DR and a lot of the roads there were terrible, wasn't at SD though so maybe over there the roads aren't too bad. Do you have other mods to the suspension (springs or coilovers?)... Maybe you could comment on the harshness of the ride versus stock. When you hit a bump in the road is it that much more harsh than stock with the ARB on? I had front and rear sway bars on a lot of cars in the past and it does make the car so much more fun to drive. I'm looking into various products for the S5.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Blue Label, your post correctly addresses the issue Swedie was worried would happen. I've only had it installed for a couple of days, but I have not noticed any difference in the ride itself as far as harshness is concerned. Springs and dampers, as you said, are more directly related to ride harshness, not the sway bar.

You're also correct regarding the conditions of the roads here. I was looking to improve the car's handling but was not convinced I could justify the risk involved in lowering the car with an aftermarket suspension, so I went with the sway bar.

As I said above, the rear of the car is now much more in tune with the front. It doesn't lag behind laterally when turning. Although it really shines when you're pushing, you can feel the difference at low speeds (you do have to specifically look for it though, as it's a subtle difference). The handling is improved to the point where I no longer yearn for suspension. I've now commited my funds to make a BBK my next mod.

I'm telling you guys, best bang-for-the-buck upgrade available. Ride quality is the same, but stability, roll, and turn-in have all improved by a considerable amount.

·
Registered
359 Posts
crespo: did you try it with ASR off ? Gives you a better feel since the brakes don't get in the way. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts