Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone struggled to start their beast, mine has times when it can take 4 or 5 goes to start, all looks normal needles up and down and nothing happens.

I have tried to eliminate all causes, seat belt on and off, clutch down prior to inserting the key then after inserting the key but to date i can not find a reason.. only sign is the yellow engine sign stays on..

Taken it to the dealer and it starts every time for them. Any ideas ???::confused:

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
It's an A5 you drive, isn't it?

Remember it's a diesel. The glowplugs have got heat up initially before you start the engine up. The longer you leave it, the colder the engine gets, and the longer the glowplugs need in order to heat up.

It won't do it at the dealer because you've just driven there, and the engine will already be hot.

The needles will always go up and down when you turn the electrics on. But you should take note of the following symbol:

Which is the symbol for glow-plug pre-heating. You've just gotta be patient when the engine's cold, and keep that button held in.

Rab.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is random, hardly ever from cold come to think of it, stop the car to get a paper then bingo non start..will have to wait till it becomes repeatable. once running never a problem. will sort it one day but has not damaged how pleased i am with the car.:)

·
Registered
128 Posts
My S5 sometime has the same problem, and I find it happens if I don't have the clutch pedal pushed down far enough when pressing the START button. Don't know if you need to have the clutch depressed when trying to start the engine with standard key (I have advanced key), but if you do then try making sure the clutch pedal is fully home -it just may be the answer!!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Had to happen on your car too CHAS didn't it !!! Yeah, just push the clutch pedal to the floor, that cured it on mine.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Can also confirm that the clutch pedal has to be pressed fully in,have also had a couple of occasions where the key/fob would not come out of the dash after stopping the engine:confused: ,had to restart the engine then pull it out:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.