Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had problems re-starting their S5 after a stall, stalls in first, then press the start/stop button, engine management light comes on but engine does not start? Try a few times, then eventually it starts! Is there a procedure after a stall? Like clutch out and in, then try again?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Should just be a matter of pushing the clutch down and pushing the key in again/start button if you have it.

Basically do what you would normally do to start like when you first get in, thats it.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Holy confusion batman!

Sounds like you're not pushing the clutch all the way in on the first try. Definitely should re-start as normal....

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Has anyone had problems re-starting their S5 after a stall, stalls in first, then press the start/stop button, engine management light comes on but engine does not start? Try a few times, then eventually it starts! Is there a procedure after a stall? Like clutch out and in, then try again?
I actually think this is one of the worst things about this car. Stupid design IMO.

You stall the car. You put your foot on the clutch and press the key in again. The key pops out *ggrrr*, the powered steering turns off, you have to push the key in once more with the clutch in, and THEN it starts. (may be different if you have advanced key).

Sometimes i've actually had to take the key out FULLY before it will start again. Very annoying if you stall and people are waiting behind you!!!

It would have been good if audi designed some detection system so it knows you've stalled, and allows you to press the key in ONCE and start it quickly.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I actually think this is one of the worst things about this car. Stupid design IMO.

You stall the car. You put your foot on the clutch and press the key in again. The key pops out *ggrrr*, the powered steering turns off, you have to push the key in once more with the clutch in, and THEN it starts. (may be different if you have advanced key).

Sometimes i've actually had to take the key out FULLY before it will start again. Very annoying if you stall and people are waiting behind you!!!

It would have been good if audi designed some detection system so it knows you've stalled, and allows you to press the key in ONCE and start it quickly.
I've not experienced this Rab, i've stalled the car only a couple of times but have simply had to push down on the clutch and push the key down once and the car comes alive again.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
for those with the start button, you press clutch down and press start.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Hmm..Sounds like if you don't have advanced key the key pops out of the slot versus just being able to restart. Well, there's another reason to go advanced!!

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Doesn't happen to me, I just push the key in and it starts - no need to take it out.
so, on the first push after a stall, it starts straight away?

for me, the electrics turn off when I press it once after a stall, and I have to push it a second time to get it started.

maybe they've changed this recently?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sounds like I may have the re-start sequence wrong....so am I right in saying that once the car has stalled...I just lift off clutch then put clutch back down and press the start button? In the manual it states that the car must be in neutral?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i wondered whether you need to push the start/stop button to turn off electrics, then press again to start, trouble is, its all a bit of a panic when the car stalls with traffic behind....I think I need to realease clutch and then depress again for re-start.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I have to admit that until yesterday I had only stalled once and I just pressed the key and off we went...

However, in a moment of weakness yesterday I tried to take off in 3rd and stalled before I realised... I pressed the key... nothing. I pressed it again... nothing... I then paniced, took the key out, re-inserted it, then pressed it again... NOTHING! Thinking I had killed the car, my heart sank and I took my foot off the clutch... Then I thought I would try one last time... depressed the clutch, pushed the button... VROOOOOOM... Screeeeeeeeeeeech... we were off in coulds of blue tyre smoke... My doing, not the cars!

So in summary, it appears that on occasions, the electronics needs you to release and repress the clutch... bear that in mind if you press that buttom and are met with silence!

Ian.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
so, on the first push after a stall, it starts straight away?

for me, the electrics turn off when I press it once after a stall, and I have to push it a second time to get it started.

maybe they've changed this recently?
Yeh Rab stalled on purpose today just to check it out again. For me all I do is push the key in again and it comes back to life. I never took notice of de-pressing and pressing the clutch back down as Ian has mentioned though, so what he said might be the case, although i'm sure I didn't have to do that either.

·
Registered
182 Posts
my thoughts, for whatever they're worth:

there has to be a point at which the clutch is registered as 'engaged'.. it's probably close to the point at which the pedal is fully released.. so sometimes maybe it's possible (starting in 3rd?) to stall it earlier in the clutch engagement motion where you haven't hit the spot where the car considers the clutch engaged fully.. thus, pushing the pedal back from that point wouldn't be considered a full engagement.. conversely stalling in first may require more clutch engagement before the engine can bog enough, past the point where 'full engagement' is registered, so pushing the clutch back in from this stall would be considered a new motion and the start button would work right off.. this could explain the various experiences with trying to restart right after a stall..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.