Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
None.

...If you're talking about the flexible hoses... I'm informed by APS that the S5 has braided lines already, but they have a plastic protective sheath, so they look like plain old HT Plastic.

...as for the fixed pipework... definately none!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
None.

...If you're talking about the flexible hoses... I'm informed by APS that the S5 has braided lines already, but they have a plastic protective sheath, so they look like plain old HT Plastic.

...as for the fixed pipework... definately none!
Thanks Ian, was talking about something like this: http://www.brakes4u.co.uk/goodridge-car.asp but the S5 has something like this already?

Just for anyone interested I found this too http://www.goodridge.net/uk/pdf/all_markets/Goodridge_stainless_v_rubber.pdf

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Your welcome... I asked APS if they could find some for me and they told me that they were steel braided already with a plastic/rubber coating... so no benefitfrom the linked Goodrich lines...

...You probably already know this, but for those that don't; the benefit, is from the fact that rubber/plastic lines become 'soft' at very higher automotive temperatures (such as when on a track day) and this 'softens' the brake pedal as some travel is taken up making the lines expand instead of pushing brake fluid through them... when really bad, your foot hits the axminster and you're still not stopping... which I did several time in my dad's old MG, before I learned to drive properly! ... and it is somewhat alarming. :eek:

Steel braded lines do not expand this way, retaining the brake feel... If you can't stop then, then you have exceeded the temperature of the friction material and you need better cooling or higher temp materials... or to slow down and use the gears more! ;)

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just checked my factory brake lines since they were replaced with S/S brake lines previously when I went with a BBK. The factory lines are definitely 100% standard OEM rubber lines. Very flexible and not stainless steel braided. I did notice more positive feel once they were changed out. My pedal is very linear compared to the factory setup but it is questionable regarding improved stopping distance since the factory setup is excellent already. Probably much less fade and more consistency though.

Your welcome... I asked APS if they could find some for me and they told me that they were steel braided already with a plastic/rubber coating... so no benefitfrom the linked Goodrich lines...

...You probably already know this, but for those that don't; the benefit, is from the fact that rubber/plastic lines become 'soft' at very higher automotive temperatures (such as when on a track day) and this 'softens' the brake pedal as some travel is taken up making the lines expand instead of pushing brake fluid through them... when really bad, your foot hits the axminster and you're still not stopping... which I did several time in my dad's old MG, before I learned to drive properly! ... and it is somewhat alarming. :eek:

Steel braded lines do not expand this way, retaining the brake feel... If you can't stop then, then you have exceeded the temperature of the friction material and you need better cooling or higher temp materials... or to slow down and use the gears more! ;)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just checked my factory brake lines since they were replaced with S/S brake lines previously when I went with a BBK. The factory lines are definitely 100% standard OEM rubber lines. Very flexible and not stainless steel braided. I did notice more positive feel once they were changed out. My pedal is very linear compared to the factory setup but it is questionable regarding improved stopping distance since the factory setup is excellent already. Probably much less fade and more consistency though.
Ian could this be another difference between the UK/US spec cars or could APS have got it wrong?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Brake fluid upgrade always helps as well, something like dot five will give an improvement for tracking and fast road, less air bubbles form in the fluid at high temperatures, thus performance doesnt deteriorate as fast :)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brake fluid upgrade always helps as well, something like dot five will give an improvement for tracking and fast road, less air bubbles form in the fluid at high temperatures, thus performance doesnt deteriorate as fast :)
Just a quick note to keep in mind, DOT 5 can only be used in brake systems it's designed for, it's not a simple matter of changing it over. However DOT 5.1 can be used in normal brake systems.

There is a recent thread on the forum about this for those wanting more detailed info.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Ian could this be another difference between the UK/US spec cars or could APS have got it wrong?
'
I guess it could be either... I can't see any reason why APS would guess or even not tell the truth... in fact it would be to their advantage to tell me they were not braided, so I'd go to them to get Goodrich Braided Hoses fitted!

...I'll ask again and mention what Quatt found.

Cheers Quatt... all input greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Interestingly, the set we provided Goodridge with some time ago DID have braided material under the rubber, they were dissected by Goodridge. However, we have since purchased another set as we noticed the part number had changed and surprise surprise no braided material. Therefore we some sets being made by Goodridge which will be ready shortly. We have seen this change only once before with the RS6 when it first came out.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Hey Ed! (and welcome!)

Thanks for the confirmation... It's good to get the real info!

Let me know when they're ready and I'll come in for some and a fluid upgrade... I want to get this done before the track day.

Ian.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Hey Ed! (and welcome!)

Thanks for the confirmation... It's good to get the real info!

Let me know when they're ready and I'll come in for some and a fluid upgrade... I want to get this done before the track day.

Ian.
Where and when is the track day?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I take it then that the stainless steel brakelines are worth getting then....
Correct yes, with better fluid as well they certainly will be better.

Thanks for the welcome Ian, i will email you tomorrow and we can talk more about when this kit will be ready :)

@ Graham, here is a link to the track day, all welcome: http://www.autometrix.co.uk/trackdays.html

·
Registered
907 Posts
Thanks Ed,

Ian, which day are you thinking of going to?

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'll put it ( and the others at C.C.) in my diary.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.