Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Are you allowed to use different tyre sizes with the quattro system?

I know the tread depths need to be very similar on each tyre. Surely different tyre sizes produce different levels of grip.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have 275/30/20 all round. Ride is fine but the car sits up a little higher than most people would like.

Are you going to lower? If so, I'd suggest 285/25/20 all round.

Then again there's plenty of guys here who have larger width on the rear.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you are running sizes that small then I would recommend 275's all around. If you want to go bigger, then 255/30 front/ 305/25 back should work well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am lowered with 275/30/20. The tires look a little chunky but the peace of mind is well worth going with the 30 over 25 IMO.

·
Registered
253 Posts
If you are running sizes that small then I would recommend 275's all around. If you want to go bigger, then 255/30 front/ 305/25 back should work well.
What would be the ideal wheel/rim size for 255/30 front and 305/25 back?

·
Registered
432 Posts
To answer your question...Front 20x9 and Rear 20x11

I am running 20x10 all around as do most of the other guys with forged wheels on this forum.
He's right.

However, if you are dead set on running a 275/30 and staying that size for sure, I would recommend a 20x9.5. It won't stretch the tire and it will save on weight. Just my $0.02, some folks prefer the stretched tire look.

FWIW, I'm running 275/30's with 20x10's all around.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think it boils down to looks. With a staggered setup you can run a really wide rear tire and it looks really nice. however, rotating your tires becomes impossible. Also, with the fat rear tire, the cars understeering tendencies are exaggerated.

With the same all around, you can rotate and the cars dynamics remain unchanged. However, the rear tire won't be maximized.

There may be some other reasons, but these are the only ones I can think of.

·
Registered
82 Posts
what's the reason for allaround > staggered?
It is rumored that a staggered wheel setup will affect the calibration of the all wheel drive system. I say rumored because it is widely disputed by owners, however, all my audi technicians and the shop foreman at my dealer have confirmed this.

You can achieve the staggered look with an all around setup by using forged wheels.

on a 20x10 I believe you could run up to a 295/25/20 if wider tires is what you are looking for. BUT...if you just want the deeper lip in the back then look at pics of all the forged wheels on this forum w/ 275/30/20.

·
Registered
384 Posts
275/30/20 Running on Yokohama S Drives. Noisy.

I definitely recommend Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's. I heard these run a little chunky so I would do 265/30/20 all around when my tires get old.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Since my wheels are actually lighter by a couple or more pounds on each corner, I think I noticed an improvement on acceleration. In fact, I startled myself when I first started driving off and went to get on the freeway; it seemed to hit 80 mph really quick. However, the car was really new, so it might have been that I just wasn't used to the speed of the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts