Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going nuts with this squeak in the drivers A pillar area. It only happens at very low speeds. I'm sure if I take it back to the dealer they will make it worse. Would love to find it and fix it myself.
Anybody else squeakin?

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I think I know what squeek you mean, but i've always thought it's from the steering column?

If it's the same squeek as mine that is :p albeit, it's very very hard to notice.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you hear it only at low speeds? I thought the same thing the steering
column. But it sounds like it's coming from the base of the A pillar. I know
turn up the music you won't hear it. Squeaks & Rattles drive me crazy.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Yea, only at low speeds. It's really faint though.

Reason I thought it was the steering column is that it seems to change tone when I move the steering wheel. I'll have to listen in more next time I take the car out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can you hear it only at low speeds? I thought the same thing the steering
column. But it sounds like it's coming from the base of the A pillar. I know
turn up the music you won't hear it. Squeaks & Rattles drive me crazy.
Hi Need4S5,

I have some information that might help. I don't currently own an S5, but I do have a 2006 Audi A6 4.2 S-Line that had what appears to be an identical low-level rubbery squeak that seemed to be comming from either the base of the A pilar or the steering column. It started out only noticeable at lower speeds just like your squeak but progressively got worse and could be heard at higher speeds. After several trips to 2 dealers, it turned out to be a molded block of some sort of foam-like material which I assume is used for noise insulation mounted inside the front fender at the upper rear openning of the fender (basically in the door jamb area right behind the upper door hinge near the base of the A pilar). When I opened the door and pushed on this foam insulation with my hand, it was slightly loose and rubbed on the inner fender wall and made a noticeable squeak. Apparently while driving over bumps or lumpy roads this insulation would move and cause the squeak. You can test if this is the cause of your squeak by either openning the door and pushing in on this foam insulation with your hand or, if possible, drive slowly over a bumpy piece of road and carefully open your driver's door slightly while driving over the bumps. The squeaking will be much more pronounced. The dealer was great once I could prove to them what the cause was and they completely replaced then entire foam assembly (the foam block and all of the mounting hardware (brackets, bolts, etc.). Once they did this, the squeak went away. On the other hand, I now have a creaking squeak comming from the trim panel over the gauge cluster, a squeaking door window seal, and a loud rattle from the plastic cover that covers one of the rear seat belts!!! I don't know if this is characteristic of all Audis, but I agree with you...I have squeaks and rattles! Well, I hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks,

I'll check out the foam piece to see if that's the issue. I just hate having to take it back to the dealer. Most of the time they do more harm then good when it comes to fixing a squeak.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help I found it last night. It's coming from the fusebox cover on the drivers side. Metal against plastic took some foam tape padded it.

Quiet as a chuch mouse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My squeak from the A pillar was the plastic corner of the door card rubbing on the door corner moulding. A bit of silcone spray stopped it. Im now fighting with the car over the very annoying one coming from the rear RHS of the car. Its not the seats, its not the parcel shelf, its not the door rubbers.

Im stumped

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Hey guys!!! Have you checked for mice????? A few chunks of cheese around the car at night may just lure them out??????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.