Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting the H&R springs after so many glowing reviews on this forum so I placed a call to AWE. After talking with their sales guy I may reconsider and wait for the H&R coilovers. He stated that b/c of the weight of the car coilovers would be better. This is probably a true statement when discussing the benefits of one vs. the other...however,

Is the performance benefit worth the additional cost for normal street driving? Or could this just a decision of personal preference in this application? Remember...I do not plan on racing the car - wait, just between lights :D

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
do eibach sell springs for the a5/s5? maybe worth a look there too?

·
Registered
52 Posts
eibach does have springs for the a5/s5 that I think are similar to the h&r. I'm trying to make the same decision between coilover and springs. Would the coilovers help with the rougher ride some are reporting with the springs at the same ride height?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have owned two s4's both of which were lowered with springs (h&r and neuspeed) worst decision i ever made. the ride was AWFUL on both even after replacing the shocks!! on the other hand a friend of mine has the h&R coilovers and its like night and day! plus theyre adjustable.. spend the extra $ its well worth it!!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
ive had cars on springs only, and they worked fine, some cars dont tho. i suggested eibachs as sometimes different brands give different rides. but if willing to spend a few pennies more i would be looking at coilovers KW or something

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the 1 in H&R with spacers, and too be honest I don't notice a difference in the ride quality. I do feel a bit of the difference in the wheel(I feel the road a bit more), and I really notice a difference when flying through a corner because the body has about 0 roll now. Springs & spacers with install ran about 1000 bucks and the base coilovers I'm seeing from Stasis will be about 2500 without installation.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Well, coilovers SHOULD ensure you match your springs to your dampers and have the option of adjusting the lowering amount... especially if you want to go on a track day, you can just wind 'em down.

However... if the shock ratings are fixed, you can end up with matched springs and shocks that really don't work with the car... ususally far too harsh (firm). Coilovers with adjustable bound will help get the ride quality where you want it and adjustable rebound too will help get the car to behave exactly how you like. I would therefore recommend adjustables.

BUT... Unless you have a track handy and are experienced in setting up cars, have this work done by someone experienced with fitting this type of coilover to an S5... which means no-one at the moment! I had an Alfasud set up professionally about 18 years ago and to this day it's the best handling car I've ever driven.

My advice... go for the springs now and get the coilovers in a year or so when thay are tied and tested.

;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks...but I wish that $$$ was not an object...sadly for me it is :( So, from my original thoughts springs or coilovers with the assumption that I will not change in the short term ( < 4 years).

Also, does the reason of weight matter like the sales guy says...those of you who already "pulled the trigger" is there truth in that statement?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
The weight has nothing to do with whether coilovers would be better. Bear in mind that springs will cost a £400 fitted (I assume similar in USD) and a set of cheap coilovers will be more than twice that cost fitted... for good coilovers you are looking at three-times that for supply only... probably 4 times when fitted.

My advice... Go with the springs... I did and it is an excellent modification. The best 'bang for you buck' in the modification department by far.

Ian

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the 1 in H&R with spacers, and too be honest I don't notice a difference in the ride quality. I do feel a bit of the difference in the wheel(I feel the road a bit more), and I really notice a difference when flying through a corner because the body has about 0 roll now. Springs & spacers with install ran about 1000 bucks and the base coilovers I'm seeing from Stasis will be about 2500 without installation.
When i first had my springs put on both of my previous s4's i was very pleased with the ride, at first... but then as time and miles passed the mis-match between the stock shocks and mod springs became SERIOUSLY detrimental to the ride. as the shocks wore out the ride became more and more harsh...and then the rattles started....

results will vary depending on setup (obv) but learn from my mistakes and save for the coilovers

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I figured coilovers will be more expensive but 2-3x...yikes! Springs are $400 over at MadAudi so I figured about $700-800 installed - worst case $1K.

If they start to fail..I am hoping that it would be > 4 years. By then I should know where my feelings lie with the S5. And if, I still like the car as much as I do now (99% probable) then drop the $$$ for coilovers among the other mods that I would get....Besides, with some luck I should be making more $$$ by then and the car will be paid off so that will be a trival expense :D

Thanks for the replies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts