Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my car is about 3 weeks old now and while I was washing it this past Saturday I was shocked to see numerous spots all over my wheels. To date, The car has been washed about 5 times and has only had tire shine applied twice and there was very little overspray or drip being that I use an applicator.

Is anyone else seeing spots on their wheels?

· Registered
204 Posts
Also along these same lines, has anyone else with S-Line wheels noticed a lack of coverage in the paint and clear coating of their wheels? In the inner spoke of the "Y" area it's as if they were not even painted.

Here is what I'm talking about.

Same thing with mine. Not that noticable unless your really looking. The brake dust covers it in a day so no worries.

· Premium Member
1,800 Posts
:eek: If those were my wheels i'd be straight back to the dealership with them. That is completely shocking!

RC1320, could you please update your profile to match your location.

· Registered
714 Posts
I know nothing about cars but don't the Audi alloys have a "protective" coating on top of them? Those pics look like the spots are under some form of film/membrane rather than on the surface of the wheel itself.

I've used to have similar sorts of grayish spots appear on my A3 wheels after I'd used alloy wheel cleaner and blackened the tyre walls. I came to the conclusion that I was putting too much tyre dressing on.

Not had a problem with the 18" Sports on my A5 ... I just use washing up liquid and a gentle rub with a non-stick pan cleaner to clean the wheels (no scratches) and then occassionally use a very small amount of tyre dressing to blacken the tyre walls. Seems to work a treat even though I can imagine that others are already screaming "no no no!" at their monitors. The joys of a company car :)

I even use the same trick to remove bug splat from the nose of the car and the paintwork still looks mint.

· Registered
479 Posts
I've used to have similar sorts of grayish spots appear on my A3 wheels after I'd used alloy wheel cleaner and blackened the tyre walls. I came to the conclusion that I was putting too much tyre dressing on.
It could well be tyre dressing reacting with the top coat / wheel wax.

· Registered
1,024 Posts
People seem to have lots of issues with the Y spoke wheels if my impression is correct. They do seem different in colour compared to many Audi wheels, maybe related to that - something different about their coating...

· Registered
3,586 Posts
loc, never had any issues with mine. And yeah, the finish on the wheels is a darker gunmetal finish compared to the typical Audi wheel finish.

· Registered
1,024 Posts
Good to hear not everyone has problems, thanks for the comment! It was just the impression I was getting from some postings. Maybe a bad batch of Y spokes out there? Do I remember correctly that Y spokes were a reason for delivery delay too at some point, maybe Audi was waiting for a good batch? Or maybe I remember wrong.

· Registered
159 Posts
I had a defective finish on one of my Y spokes last year and it was replaced without issue. It had run marks in the laquer and not spots like yours. The small inner spoke of the Y area you mention is the same as all my wheels. It's acceptable in the area thats not visibile and has been painted and more importantly sealed. Just not a mirror finish like the face of the Y spokes.

When the garage replaces the alloy wheel, make sure the tyre fitter hasn't damaged the new rim in the process!

Simon

· Registered
3,586 Posts
Do I remember correctly that Y spokes were a reason for delivery delay too at some point,
Supposedly, there was a problem with the wheel supplier, resulting in the S-line package not being available for order (since the S-line comes with those wheels).

· Registered
93 Posts
I have the same problem with my 19" Y rims with the spots and the white marks.

· Registered
1,024 Posts
So, I continue to stand by my gut feeling (having read the forums for months) that the Y spoke is more prone to problems or bad batches than most A5 wheels, so do be careful when you check your wheels on pickup. If they are fine then, probably they'll stay fine, but do check.

· Registered
196 Posts
Alright so here's the deal-- My little brother ROYALY bent all 4 of my wheels smashing a speed bump at 50 MPH (He was texting while driving... idiot.) I have 11k Miles on the car, and I've got the same spots all over the wheels... What are the chances of them swapping the wheels. At the moment I'm going with slim-to-none, but if I show them evidence of other people having similar problems out of the gate, I think they'd agree the wheels are [email protected]#$ed?

· Registered
441 Posts
I have the same issue with mine as well. Eagle One rim cleaner is evil!

· Registered
126 Posts
I bought some wheel wax http://wheelwax.com/ and have yet to try it due to bad weather. I will give it a shot in the next couple of days and see what happens. If it works I will post the results.

C.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.