Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Yesterday I wasn't excited with the B&O subwoofer in my 2011 S5 Sportback, searching through the forum for an upgrade only lead me to upgrades for the Coupe/ Cabrio.
So why not remove the unit out of the car and see if I can do some stuff myself.

Taking the unit out is a piece of cake, one connector on the left side and 3 nuts to loossen.
One big plastic ported subwoofer, owning a whooping 16,5 cm 6 Ohm unlabeled/ branded sub driver.
(I am unable to take B&O seriously at the moment, 3.5k for the B&O system no .. way)

Drilled out the rivets (do this carfully, the plastic underneath will melt, short burts and change to the next in between cooldown), took out the driver and found a nice 75mm mounting depth.

Searching the internet for a 16,5 cm subwoofer driver is no fun at all!
Kicker has the CompRT CWR672 for just 89 euros:

General Features:
  • 6-3/4" CompRT Series Subwoofer
  • Power Handling:
    • Peak: 300 watts
    • RMS: 150 watts
  • Recommended power range: 70 - 150 watts RMS
  • Impedance: Dual 2 ohms
  • Injection-molded polypropylene cone
  • Tough Santoprene surround with interlocking front gasket
  • Dual pair of spring-loaded wire terminals custom designed for shallow mount installations
  • Weather-proof for outdoor powersports applications
  • Double venting for max cooling
  • Inverted-bumped back plate and bumped top plate for full voice-coil clearance and excursion while maintaining a shallow profile
  • High-temp voice coil for increased power handling
  • Resonance Frequency (Fs): 55.6 Hz
  • Top-mount depth: 2-3/4"
  • Sensitivity: 82.dB
  • Authorized Internet Dealer
  • 1-year Manufacturer's Warranty
I ordered one instantly and will be delivered in 3 working days. Plan is to wire it in series, to go from 2 Ohm Dual Voice Coil to 4 Ohm Single Voice Coil.
Having no idea what the amp can deliver at the subwoofer output, not even after searching the web for hours, changing the sub driver from 6 Ohm to 4 Ohm should allready deliver more power.

Mounting the sub driver will be another issue, but I already have some thoughts about umbrella plugs for drywall constructions.
That should work and gives me the possibility to dissemble at again.

I will keep you guys posted on the process when the Kicker is delivered.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the Kicker in today and started finishing right away.

First the pictures from the post before:

The result after drilling the rivets out. (Done this over the sink so the pieces of metals from drilling would not fly around)

The massive B&O sound quality subwoofer driver, it still makes me laugh everytime I see it. ?

So now back to the fun stuff ? (I do not mean the B&O driver)

The Kicker subwoofer driver next to the B&O:

Preparing the box for the insertion of the Kicker:

You have to cut away some plastic parts for the woofer to fit:
1. The notches that keep the B&O centered, cut away with a utility knife or something else.
2. A little enforcements plastic thingy's (I have no idea how the are called/ named in English)

1. The result should look like this

2. This one is a little tricky, but if you are the proud owner of a multitool and are willingly to sacrifice a saw blade, just bend it so you can let it slide over the bottom of the enclosure

So the result will be a nice clean cut

Time to do some wire magic:

The Kicker has dual 2 Ohm voice coils vs the B&O single 6 Ohm, so we are going to wire it in series to make a single 4 Ohm voice coil

The result in the next post

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The result of the wiring

I am still thinking of a way to remount the protection grill, if I think of something, I will share it.

Next is just screw it in, mount back in the car, select you music, open up all the gain and be amazed of the 90 euro transformation of your sound system. (I should have made a picture when it was done, forgot it in all my excitement)

It is the best thing I have done yet to the car.:love:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something I forgot to mention:

The manual of the Kicker has no given information on vented enclosures for this specific driver. I have closed the vented port of the enclosure with some foam and duct-tape.

·
Registered
553 Posts
great job, looks nice and tidy, bet it packs a punch also:p
thats still on my to do list one day, but I've got a coupe in which the sub is just dangling on the shelf, but the sb enclosure looks so nice:love:
need a good free air sub for similar money if anyone can recommend anything

·
Registered
553 Posts
thats still on my to do list one day, but I've got a coupe in which the sub is just dangling on the shelf, but the sb enclosure looks so nice:love:

·
Registered
553 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it does pack a great punch, allmost like a reverse capwearing 2x 15" subwoofer overloaded Golf 3 GTI teen car,...
My girlfriend allmost jumped through the roof opening it up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Any link to that specific model. Thinking of doing this to my 2010 sportback. Would be really grateful for more photos of the end result

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is the only thread I have found on the SB. I have a 2011 A5 sportback with B&O and have a feeling my sub just isn't working. I can't seem to locate the original sub. is it under the battery?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Found the speaker, is the 2x dual coil (comp RT672) preferable to the 1x dual coil (comp RT671)?

More importantly, after switching to 4 om from 6 om, do you get an error message on vagcom?

Also, do you have to remove the battery in order to get the cover out?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Atana5ov- have you attempted this yet. I'm looking at buying the same speaker and installing soon. but haven't fully located the stock sub yet.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sub is under spare tyre.

[Sent from a mobile device (like you even care)]

·
Registered
146 Posts
Found the speaker, is the 2x dual coil (comp RT672) preferable to the 1x dual coil (comp RT671)?

More importantly, after switching to 4 om from 6 om, do you get an error message on vagcom?

Also, do you have to remove the battery in order to get the cover out?

Sub box can be removed without removing the battery

[Sent from a mobile device (like you even care)]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts