Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm getting a new 2.0TDi sportback, ive heard lots about how harsh the S-line suspension is (i'm trying to arrange a test drive before anyone says) but just how harsh is the s-line suspension??

I like a firm ride but the reports seem to only talk about dental problems!

·
Banned
1,802 Posts
The 19" or 20" and S line suspension, urban driving gets tiring , the crash and bump across anything but billiard table smooth surfaces.
I drove an S Line, with 20 " wheels recently and on test drive I drove over a coin I could almost tell you what date it was minted !!

·
Registered
544 Posts
i'm getting a new 2.0TDi sportback, ive heard lots about how harsh the S-line suspension is (i'm trying to arrange a test drive before anyone says) but just how harsh is the s-line suspension??

I like a firm ride but the reports seem to only talk about dental problems!
'Harsh' is a pretty subjective term. It depends on what you are used to. If your previous car was, say, a Lexus or Mercedes, you will find A5 S-line to be a very...different kind of car. The conditions of your local roads also play a big role.

Personally, I wouldn't call the S-line harsh, but it is quite stiff. You are definitely sacrificing ride comfort for the sake of handling. But really, you need to drive it yourself and see if you like it.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I think we need to be careful how S-Line suspension is described on here.

Standard S-Line was always identical to Sport suspension... There is however an option for lower and presumably firmer S Line 10-20mm lower I think.

I have run both my A5's with Sport/S-Line suspension (standard fit) with 19in wheels and have not had any issues. BUT I have quattro. The loaner 2.0Tdi FWD I borrowed was a little rattly and frim which I put down to FWD.

IMHO A Sportback A5 and A7/A8 are far to large to have FWD and hard suspension.

RG

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
The 19" or 20" and S line suspension, urban driving gets tiring , the crash and bump across anything but billiard table smooth surfaces.
I drove an S Line, with 20 " wheels recently and on test drive I drove over a coin I could almost tell you what date it was minted !!
Agreed

SB

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've 19"s with S Line suspension and think its a lovely set-up, Firm , planted and certainly confidence inspiring. My previous cars were fairly hard coilover suspension systems albeit high end ones so suspect this explains why my sportback feels so comfortable to me.

·
Registered
225 Posts
No issues with mine.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
No issues with my S-line suspension :mad:), but maybe my last few previous cars had 'sports' suspension so I'm used to it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My previous '59 plate s line A4 on 19's was very crashy.

Current FL Coupe on 19'a is a different beast all together and ride is in a another league. Far more planted and smoother.

Ta
Pitch

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
^ pitch has it.

no point comparing suspensions of older cars. One thing Audi make a good job of is gently tweaking the performance of the carts during their life. That's what the MY updates each year do.

I drove an early 2.0TDi SLine SB partly as I couldnt believe the poor reviews it was getting for ride and it was indeed very crashy. A recent courtesy car though was absolutely fine.

to the OP - dont panic - I think you will be fine, not crashy though do expect firm as it is a Sports Coupe not a limo after all.

·
Registered
804 Posts
tl;dr: Definitely this!

The longer version... On my SB at the time you couldn't specify it with anything other than the standard S-Line suspension (although I think that's changed since then and as RG says it could be lowered with non-20" wheels) and this with the 20" wheels is very harsh IMHO. Mine are the 265/30 profile - it might be better with the RS5 sized 275/30's as I guess there is more sidewall?

Pretty much every single ripple is picked up and you feel it, on longer journeys it makes the ride unsettling and tiring, i.e. not in keeping with the baby-GT feel of the car IMHO.

I know it isn't a direct or fair comparison but in someone I know's RS5 which is on the 19" wheels with drive select in comfort mode it is fine, even in dynamic mode it is less "crashy" than mine on standard suspension. This might just be, as pitch/gruffle point out, because it was a newer model year.

As a result on the new car I've ordered I stuck with 19" wheels and adaptive suspension for this reason. In a nutshell: It's not so bad that if buying new/in stock and 20"'s were the only option I wouldn't not go for it, but if specifying things I'd only go up to 19". When ordering the new one I asked the dealer if the 20" with adaptive was better than my current setup and he said yes but not much. :)

As said it may be that more recent ones are better - what size wheels are you going for and is it a new or used car?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
one of the biggest questions I had when look at ADS was how this compared with standard suspension, was it softer in comfort and harder in dynamic?

In reality actually it is just better in all modes. Essentially I think the dampers are just of a higher grade, and are indeed softer in comfort, and firmer in dynamic, but even when in dynamic the ride is better than non ADS.

(referring to my previous 3.0TDi here, not the RS. Dynamic suspension mode on the RS is unusable except maybe on a track and, as many have commented, is disappointingly unusable.)

·
Registered
127 Posts
My personal opinion is that it's firm. I have the 19inch segment alloys. I've had lowered cars in the past so not the end of the world, but being a family wagon you have to be wary of the potholes. Got to love the British roads.

·
Registered
175 Posts
From experience I find it hard to see where the criticism comes from. For a car sitting on S line suspension and 19" wheels with low profile tyres the ride is actually pretty good, being fairly compliant for a sports orientated setup. Of course if you drive on an exceptionally bad surface it does get a bit rough but not really any worse than most cars I've found.

In contrast I had a courtesy car with SE spec and 17" wheels where I found no real improvement in the ride comfort and the SE suspension definitely lost out when it came to the corners. The S line setup makes the car feel so much more planted and controlled.

·
Banned
1,802 Posts
Planted but very harsh on urban road surfaces seems to be the conclusion

·
Registered
140 Posts
I love my S-Line A5 but the standard suspension is very stiff, to the point that neither of us like being a passenger in it. I'm so glad I didn't upgrade to the sport suspension!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
The Sport/s-line suspension isn't stiff on these cars, at least not compared to other cars with sport suspensions. My old M3 rode FAR more stiff then my A5 with the sport suspension & 19" wheels.

I've also driven several different Mercedes Benz vehicles over the last few years and all of them with 19" or 20" wheels have a stiffer suspension than my A5. It's actually a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
252 Posts
As I only collected my A5 last Friday I can only comment on the last few days, but with 19" wheels & the optional lower/lowest suspension I think the ride is great.

Previous Alfa 159 Ti also with 19" wheels was very harsh with unbelievable 'tram-lining' if tyre pressures weren't spot on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts