Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm ready to place my A5 3.0 Tdi Tip order but unsure of which suspension set up to go for.

My local roads are pretty lousy and I'm concerned that the stiffer suspension may well prove tiresome. I do want 19" alloys (for the look) and sport seats and can spec it like that from the base model although frustratingly it'll cost me £150 more than the sport model to not have sport suspension.

I have test driven the sport and like the rest of the handling but I'm interested in feedback from users of both set ups. Thanks

·
Registered
643 Posts
you're worried about harsh, lousy roads and you spec'd the 19's?

j/k. the stock suspension exhibits some roll when pushed, so if you're worried about that, go with the sports suspension. if you're more worried about a harsh ride, pay the extra for the stock suspension.

Personally, I'd go with the sports suspension if I were in your position. looks so good a little lower....totally worth the hard roads, lol. gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Crespo

Yeah you guessed by my spec that I am concerned about it looking good but have not seen a non-sport model to compare.

All my previous Audi's and BMW's have been spec'd with sports suspension - I guess I'm just feeling my age - or am I just being a pussy?

I don't like any body roll but equally don't appreciate a jarring ride but I guess I can't have it all ways.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Hi Marmin,

The A5 sport suspension is so much better than I thought it would be. I had an A4 Sline previous to my A5 and driving the Watton road everyday was a very uncomfortable ride, the A5 beats it hands down, has a lot less body roll aswell. Audi really has done a great job with the Sport package on the A5. I have the 19 Y design wheels aswell, and they really do suit the car.

Doubledoom and I convoyed to the APS meet today and he was kind enough to show me his ride after the getting it lowered, and even with it lowered with just springs it was leaps ahead of the old sline A4 I had. Although following him back it was noticibly more bouncy from behind on some dodgy roads.

Anyway the A5 sport suspension really is a smooth ride even on norfolks dodgy country roads with the 19's.

I dont think you will get much feedback on the basic setup as I dont know if anyone here has it. I may be wrong though.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I agree with the above. I have an A3 2.0T Quattro S-Line and the ride is very "crashy". The two test drives that I have had in A5 Sport models have been a revelation! The A5 ride is far superior and retains a sporty feel without feeling like a boat!! They both had 19" wheels.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your thoughts - my experience of Audi suspension set ups has always been one of never quite getting the perfect blend - either too hard (as in my previous A4 S-Line) or too soft (as in my friends standard A4). I guess I'm just a fussy old sod whose driving mood changes with the weather.

Perhaps I could get the standard set up and then always lower later if it didn't look or feel right?? Oh decisions, decisions.

Thanks again

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only one thing for it - booked another test drive for Wednesday in a Sport with 19" alloys - got it for the whole day so that I can come to a conclusion and order by end of day!!

Haggling already underway ! - starting new thread for planned spec for any thoughts

FYI - test drive is 1.8T Sport Manual but just want to check the ride to decide suspension set up. Will let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Having gone from an A4 Cab 1.8T Sport with 17" wheels I was a bit worried about the A5 sport suspension with 19" wheels - I went quickly into a deal when the perfect ex demo became available so didn't test drive.

I'm really happy with the A5 and actually find it much more comfortable than the old car. Would definitely say go for it with sport without hesitation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Marmin - I had similar issues regarding rough local roads. I am a complete newbie with respect to the A5; I have not even laid eyes on it in the flesh yet have an order in for a 2009 model. In Canada, the 2009's have Drive Select available as an option. I opted for this, and the 19" Y-spoke wheels, but passed on the S-line (sports) package. I felt I could, hopefully, get the best of both - dialed in for comfort or sport suspension settings depending on conditions. I understand thus far that Drive Select is a $2500 CDN option and includes control over level of steering assist and shift aggressiveness.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Oh, btw, I'm not sure it's the same in the UK, but in the US the S-Line comes with considerably nicer seats than the non-S-Line cars. Not sure if it works the same with "sport" and non-"sport," though.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, btw, I'm not sure it's the same in the UK, but in the US the S-Line comes with considerably nicer seats than the non-S-Line cars. Not sure if it works the same with "sport" and non-"sport," though.
Thanks Crespo - yes it works the same here and I intend to order the sports seats regardless of suspension as they do seem so much nicer. Appreciate your advice - cheers.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Hey Marmin,

Have you asked about a demo of the non-sport suspension? Having driven mine for nearly a week now sport is such vast improvement from the B7 A4 sline. I just wish the sport was about 15mm lower now for the looks side of things. With the spec you want, for the wheels and sport seats i just checked and your right its going to cost you more for the non-sport package. Odd, anyway, let us know how the test drive goes.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Marmin,
Don't know if this helps, but just before I took delivery of my car, I saw an Aruba Blue A5 round the back of my dealer awaiting delivery. I had a good poke around the outside (looking at what tyres it had etc.) It was fitted with the 19" Y-spoke alloys and I was a bit concerned as there was a significant gap between the top of the tyre and the wing. Asked my dealer and he told me it was not a sport model, and the price of upgrading to 19" wheel must have cost £1300 instead £650 as 17"s are standard on non-sport models. I thought the gap with the standard suspension looked pretty awful, and I also think the sport suspension on my A5 is a much more compliant ride than my old S4, which had 18" wheels.

Just my 2p-worth, but for my money, I would always go for the sport if you can afford it. Don't forget you get the better seats as well in the price.

Difference in price between standard and sport on the 3.0 TDi is just £950. To put 19" wheels onto a standard suspension car would cost an extra £650 over the sport model car anyway, so I think the sports option is pretty good value, given that the sports suspension is available at £250 for a standard car. Factor in the sports seats, and you're definitely better off (although just sports seats is not an option - you can only go straight to electric seats in the options list, not manual sports ones.)

Hope this (and your test drive!) helps to make your mind up!:)

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Costs

Spot on reply. Y spokes on standard car = £1300 20 spokes =£1400 (why?)

Makes the 950 upgrade + 650 for Y spokes (=£1600) look like a bargain when Sports suspension alone is £250 + £475 for Sports Seats... seems like a no brainer to me. £1600 rather than £2025! (or £1775 without the sports suspension but including big gap in wheelarch!!

I find 19 + SS fine BTW.

TT
RG

PS I am not an Accountant so feel free to Audit my calculations.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for your replies - greatly appreciated although after my test drive today they've not made the decision any easier (or harder though for that matter)

Had a great day in the 1.8T sport and really enjoyed the lack of body roll and general handling. However, after 3 hours in it I did atart to tire of the knocks felt on B roads so drove back to the dealer with a big smile on my face but still with some reservations. Jumped back into my 5 series M Sport for a well known local B road of mine and immediately noticed a more relaxed ride. Back to the dealer I went to insist on a ride in a non-sport A5 but none available. However, they did have a new A4 in standard spec (with 18" alloys) so I took that out as it uses the same chassis and suspension set up and was the nearest I'd get.
It was definitely much smoother over the rough road than both my own car and the A5 sport and less tiring, although this plus was offset by more (but not severe) body roll during hard cornering. Apart from the 2.0 TDi engine and notchy manual gearbox in it it was a great ride also.

So my decision process is as follows; I'm in my car for an average of 3 - 4 hours a day and will cover 100,000+ miles in it in the next 3 years. For most of this time I drive in a relaxed (but fast) manner, therefore a comfortable ride is most important to me and because of this I have ordered a non-sport model. My recent experience of using my wife's TT for work has been great fun, but driving a tightly sprung car for long periods is also hard work.

I appreciate the comments from everyone changing from other A3 and A4 S-lines and I too believe that the A5 sport suspension is a big step forward from these (I specc'd my SE A4 with sports suspension prior to my BMW and drove my friends A4 S-line yesterday as a reminder) but it really is about the high mileage I do. I also understand the comments about the wheel arch gap and appreciate that one of the appeals of this car is it's low slung look, but I will spend far more time in my car driving it than I will looking at it (well..........perhaps not:)).
Besides, I think that the comments about the looks are slightly exaggerated as we're talking 20mm max. Not a great profile I know but there's a non-sport A5 with 19" Y's at http://usedcars.audi.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=502024423# the seats are non-sport in this also but I will definitely be having those.

I also saw a customer's A5 being prepared for delivery. This was a base model with 17" wheels. While this didn't look as great, and wouldn't make the cover of Max Power it still looked good and I'm sure that with 19" alloys on the arches are filled enough for me.

As for the cost - the base model is £950 less than the sport, athough the alloys cost an extra £650 over the Sport and the sports seats £475 so I'm worse off to the tune of £175 but happy. Besides the big discount I secured helped offset this - see new thread.

Real thanks to all that responded and hope that my long winded tale above may help someone else.

p.s - everyone's to promise - no p!!s taking of the big arches when I get to meet up with you all :eek: cheers

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Well done for keeping a cool head, Im a sucker for good looks on the A5 so I will probably end up lowering my car after the recent meet at APS. This is despite the fact 75% of my driving is on norfolks country lanes and dodgy B roads. Oh well Im only 23 still have a good few more years of bumpy rides left in me.

I here by promise not to take the p!!s.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh well Im only 23 still have a good few more years of bumpy rides left in me .
Robb - I may be nearly twice your age but my wife hopes I've still got a few more bumpy rides left in me also!:D

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
LOL!!! I really didnt need to read that!

I can still read that and I'm 2.3 times your age!! And I'll leave the slow Audis for you 'boys'!!

TT
RG:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.