Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Collected my car on Wed 2nd Jan, words couldnt describe the enjoyment i had with it until the following Saturday.

Headed out of work to get 3 x Venti Toffi Nutt Latte's out of Starbucks of the guys at work. Got them and only one could fit in the larger of the 2 cupholders, so used Starbucks Sh*ty 2 cup holder for the other two which i put on the floor, this is a chore i have regurally done on a saturday in my previous car (Saab 9-3 2.2TiD)

I do admit to driving my car very hard... all the time, however on the first occasion i have done this in my new car, i decided to take it rather easy, until some C**t in a 3 series BMW decided to slam on the brakes in front of me for no known reason (he probably was looking at my sexy daytime driving lamps) then i had to break to protect my sexy lights from getting hurt.

=2 x Latte coffees spilt on the floor = over 1 litre of milk spilt on the floor (for any of you who dont dring coffee, latte is hot milk with a few expressos put in.
There was no smell as the milk was still fresh, so decided to bring my baby to a valet, who spent 45 mins with his special carpet cleaner, i thought this may have solved it, however last saturday the smell came, so i went to the valet again and he repeated the cleaning of the carpet. Still didnt kill the smell.

Went to Halfords and bout lots of odour eating products and some smelly products, the car now smells like a Whor*s handbag which had milk spilt in it 2months ago.

Rang my dealership today and the said it would cost £130 to have the seat removed and properly valeted (the first valet guy couldnt get properly under the seats cause of the electrics) Or £700 to have new carpet fitted, think i will go for the cleaning, but the said they cant guarantee it taking the smell out.
I have gone totally off my car now cause of the smell, i want it back the way it was, any ideas? Appreciated

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
There is no doubt, you have to have it really well cleaned. It will keep coming back... worse in the summer. I speak from bitter and smelly experience. I expect you can remove the seat yourself and get a wet carpet cleaner / vax system and clean it. twice!

You may have to lift the carpet out, clean it and also any sound proofing underneath too. This was the problem I had as the milk had soaked into the soundproofing, so cleaning the carpet did not solve it. The soundproofing is probably 'stuck' down with adhesive tape, so removal may be difficult. Try cleaning it in place first.

Can anyone comment on seat removal? (My car has yet to arrive)

Ian.

PS. Milk is now banned from my cars!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Spilt Milk

That honest john link has some sound advice.

I had a similar experience with a week old BMW, my Mrs bought milk from M&S and the lids were faulty and still can be to this day, be warned, (we try before we buy now). When she discovered the milk she was horrified and phoned M&S (Baker St) straight away and gave them both barrels, they paid for the car to have done whatever the dealer needed to do to rectify the matter, they even phoned our local dealer to authorise the work.

I know how gutted you must feel, but the info on the link sounds good and worth a try.

Good look, and please post if (when) you have success in removing the smell.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys

Have booked my car into my audi dealer for wednesday, so hope they can solve the problem by taking the seat out and giving it a good clean.

As for the car insurance, i dont want to loose my no claims for £700,

I hope they are successful, will keep yous informed, thanks

·
Registered
677 Posts
I am confused is it in the seat or the floor carpet?

I have had plenty of stuff spilled in my seats. I remove them from the car take a water hose to them and rinse them with gallons of water. I leave them in the sun all day (maybe two) and the spill and smells come right out.

On my STi there was no soundproofing so carpet cleaning got the milk right out. However on the wifes TL it did have this so again a shop vac is handy. Apply plenty of water to the area and vacuum up with the shop vac. You can run a water/ amonia solution threw it during the middle but need to get the amonia out. These other products from honestjohn seem like they would also do the trick. After vacuuming put down towels and stand on them to soak up more liquid. Finally put a fan directly on the area at night to get it dry before mildew sets in.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hmmmm

Ok so its the protein / fatty acids in the milk that are going off - can not remember the chemistry etc...

Whilst you can clean the carpet or sound proofing you are never going to get rid of all the milk soaked in - so how about trying to inactivate it? DO you remember at school putting a boiled egg in a jar with Bio washing powder and seeing it eaten away...... (a science lesson many years ago)

You might want to try getting some Bio Liquid (like Fairy Bio Washing) and seeing if that will at least remove the smell??

Mark

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Ok so its the protein / fatty acids in the milk that are going off - can not remember the chemistry etc...

Whilst you can clean the carpet or sound proofing you are never going to get rid of all the milk soaked in - so how about trying to inactivate it? DO you remember at school putting a boiled egg in a jar with Bio washing powder and seeing it eaten away...... (a science lesson many years ago)

You might want to try getting some Bio Liquid (like Fairy Bio Washing) and seeing if that will at least remove the smell??

Mark
Now THAT'S intelligent thinking! :cool:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was telling a friend about your problem and he had a milk spill in his car . He used 10 lemons cut them in half and rubbed and squeezed them over the carpet and the smell went away . For the little cost may be worth while!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
ICZ_15, all the best with getting that cleaned properly. I can only imagine how annoying this situation is for you...Good luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the comments, leaving the car into Audi now, to have it cleaned tomorrow, WRX_9BR, it was spilt in the carpet, i wouldnt have minded spilling it on the seats as they are leather.

In regards to trying to inactivate it, if Audis clean isnt successful, i definately will be using the tips on this thread to try myself!

Thanks again guys and i will keep yous informed!!!

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had a similar situation (sort of)...now this may not help you out now, but perhaps may persuade you for a preventative purchase.

My situation is that I too had two latte's from Starbucks on the floor of a fairly new Honda Accord. Had to stop suddenly and their they went all over the floor. I quickly grabbed them to prevent additional spillage.

Now my savings grace was that I had rubber mats over the standard ones. So the spill was primarily on the one rubber mat. I pulled over, shook off the one rubber mat best I could and threw it in the trunk. There was just a little on the carpet where the mat did not cover. I wiped this up fairly quickly soaking up the liquid with the napkins I had. Then when I got home, simply sprayed off the rubber mat and let it air dry overnight.

All was well the next day. The moral of the story here is, perhaps invest in some rubber mats and use them all year round. If I've learned one thing from my wife, then that is it. Definitely recommended.

Hope this helps in future and best of luck to you getting the smell out.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I know there's at least one other thread about rubber mats, and I've seen some available and even pictures on one thread, but not sure if they're available in the UK yet.

I bought an autoform boot liner after seeing a recommendation on this site, and I have to say it's excellent so for, and fits absolutely perfectly. Are the front rubber floor mats available yet in the UK? Anyone got them yet?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.