Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my car and I'm loving it, but not too happy with the sound from the speakers, i have the standard 10 speaker system with navi. A couple questions:

1. Do the speakers have built-in amplifiers in them?
2. if not, what sizes are all the speakers and tweeters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the 8 speaker Audi Concert sound...and I am not really satisfied from the sound quality...Does anyone know if I can add speakers into the 2 empty speaker slots? Can I upgrade the factory ones with more powerful aftermarket ones...Did anyone try this?:confused:

·
Registered
821 Posts
More powerful speakers would not be a lot of good without a Better Sound Source driving them imo !!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More powerful speakers would not be a lot of good without a Better Sound Source driving them imo !!!!
well I dont know much about car audio stuff, and since I have navigation there is no simple headunit to swap out. So your saying upgrading my speakers without doing anything else won't give me better sound clarity?

·
Registered
41 Posts
In other (lesser quality) vehicles, I have swapped the stock speakers with better quality units and there was a noticeable improvement. I don't think clarity was something that was gained, but better midbass response was definitely noticed. With an Audi system, swapping speakers may help, however there are probably some things to keep in mind.

Since there are tweeters, this usually means there's a crossover. There's a small chance you'll be able to find a direct replacement for your speakers that match the characteristics of the built in crossover. Alternatively, you can install a new set of component speakers (a mid driver, tweeter, and crossover) and try to bypass the factory crossover (sometimes difficult to do, especially if it's built into the factory amplifier). But with this solution, you also have to find a place to put the new crossover.

Another issue, is the impedance. A lot of times, the factory speakers are designed to operate at non-standard impedance which are difficult to match with aftermarket speakers. Although you can use aftermarket speakers that have a different impedance from the stock speakers, the factory amplifier might not be able to drive the new speakers as efficiently which may cause poor performance, overdrive the amp, and even shorten the life of the stock amplifier.

I know this is not a lot of good news and because of these issues, I try to order the premium sound in a vehicle if I don't have any intention of installing an aftermarket system.

If you're willing to drop some coin on a better system, there are many ways to interface with the Audi's "headunit" that allow you to install aftermarket amplifiers to drive aftermarket speakers without having to install a deck into your dash.

I'm sure there's some alternatives I have left out, but hopefully this response will provide a basis for others to share their thoughts.

-Kyle

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you Kyle...A lot of good info here!!I'll try to find out specifications of this Audi Concert head unit and I''l see what are my possibilliies for aftermarket speakers..

Thanks again...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lots of good info, thanks guys. I guess I'll just have a professional from a reputable shop take a look at it. Guess I should've sprung for the B&O

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The owners manual clearly states 'not' to change the speakers in the doors due to the cars side SRS sensor is located within the doors. If you do change them bear this in mind and also inform the audio fitters as some them can be numbnuts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts