Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Saj,

Did you go down the Alpine route in the end?

I'm also interested in the the Alpine SPC-200AU and SPC-100AU upgrade and would be interested to hear peoples thoughts.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think I will be the first ever to review this product because I did not find any other review on the Internet. So I decided to take the plunge and purchase the Alpine kit, both 100AU and 200AU. I've asked a local car audio install shop for the install because I did not have the time to mess with trim removal and cable runs... They said they will handle this, but they don't...They tried though! The manual provided with the Alpine amp and speaker is useless, there is not much detail how to remove the trim panel but this info is easy enough to gather elsewhere, but they also do no explain how to connect the amp to the factory system AT ALL! No cable are labelled, you have to figure this out by yourself... And the installer guy did, sort of. In fact, the Alpine amp goes AFTER the factory radio in the trunk, it does not replace it and it does not connect to the fiber optic cable, also not on any line level signal, instead it takes the SPEAKER LEVEL output of the factory amp as input, and you have to CUT the factory wires because no harness is provided (the harness does not exist anyway). At this point the installer guy found a way to mount the amp in the car, because the provided brackets does not fit my car (it's a B8 A5, it suppose to be 100% compatible, but nope, none of the provided installation brackets fits), he also tried to call Alpine for support but ended getting nothing, no ones know this system and nobody at Alpine gives support on it. So he gave up and told me the amp simply not work, and he charged me $700 for labor an a non-working system.

So I was ready to accept my loss and keep the car as is... but no, I am not this kind of guy, so I tried to make it work by myself. So yes, the amp is fed by a not so good speaker level input, it use only the front and rear channels, it does not use the sub input. At the output of the amp, you have some unlabelled wires you have to figure out what it does, it's the speaker output and it output the front at full range, the dash mids with the added cable with a hi-pass at 300hz and lower volume and the rear speaker output is subwoofer for a reason... So you can't connect your rear speaker unless you leave them on the factory amp. There is a subwoofer cable the comes out of the amp but it outputs nothing. Also the DSP rotary switches does not work on my car model, in fact, only the position zero on switch A works, switch B can be anything... is this a bug? can't tell... Also we do not have any control over the Apline DSP, not even sub volume (because you will lose the MMI sub volume option), that's a shame, I'm pretty sure there is a lot of potential with this little amp if we could log into it and do some tuning, not everyone will love the "Alpine Engineer's perfect calibration"...

Well, after all those discoveries the amp is usable but what a pain! In the meantime, since I had all the Apline speakers installed in my car, there is no way I will not try everything possible to get the best out of it, so I took a deep plunge and got the Audiocontrol D6.1200 the replace the Alpine amp. Install was pretty straight forward with all the wires has been cut but the installer (I can send picture of the Audiocontrol install if someone's interesting) and, well, I have to tell you the Apline speakers from this kit are REALLY good, it's a HUGE improvement over the factory system and the Audiocontrol amp is a power beast! I had to amp the mids independently of the woofers and tweeter because it's really have to phase align the dash mids with the door speakers. But once done, man, it's something... I only have the Aplines in front and the factory sub, all connected to the Audiocontrol DSP and it slam like never before. I have an aftermarket sub but it's a 2ohm sub and this is not compatible with the amp unfortunately. Maybe later.

Bottomline is: I would not buy this product again, although the speakers are realy high quality, this install complications, lack of plug and play, lack of support, poor documentation is too much pain to recommend this system to anyone. I had not tried the Apline amp on the speaker yet, I may do that just to see how it sound against the Audiocontrol.

I will recommend upgrading this car speaker at anytime though, the worst part is the door 8'' that can't produce adequate mids and distort as hell, put a 6.5'' there or find a way to add the dash mids and some door tweeters. Then the Audiocontrol DSP Amp s really a great upgrade if you have some quality aftermarket speakers, not that hard to install in the spare location on top of the factory radio in the trunk.

If someone has any question about the SPC-100AU or SPC-200AU, let me know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another found on my Alpine install, the factory head unit output an highly equalized and time aligned signal that is different from the front and rear speaker, as well as a bass cutoff for the rear. With all this care for a proper tuned stock system, it's a shame the stock system sound so bad! With the Audiocontrol amp, I was able to sum the output of the front and rear and trick the time alignment to restore an usable full-range signal that can feed my Apline 3-way front speakers. The result is good so far but there is too much boosted bass in front because of the channel summing, still need some tuning, and this sadly make my rear speaker unsusable, I liked the rear fill even if the speakers are not high end, I always found the rear of my audi sounded better than the front in stock form...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Continuing this review, I manage to try to bundled Alpine amp on my SPC-200AU system, and I must say it sound really good... the Apline amp's DSP truly compensate the stock DSP, time aligment and EQ calibration and make the new system shine. It's a pain in this ass to make it work as anything make sense on wiring, it use front input for the door speaker and the rear for the dash mids... Also the sub output is on the rear channels of the amp, oddly...

Also to note, the bass output from the front door 8'' is very strong, it does not seems to have any low cutoff so if may rattle the door at high volume... It would be nice to have a low cutoff and the lower bass sent only to the sub... Also this system make is very hard to use an aftermarket sub since everything is time aligned, only way I found is to use the rear output of the Alpine Amp (that is sub output) and bring this into another amp to drive the aftermarket sub... But this mean it's a hi-level signal converted TWO TIMES to low level, it has passed THREE amp before reaching the sub so I don't expect the signal to be the best... And this make the sub volume adjustement of the head unit unusable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok so final though, I do have kept the Alpine front midbass and the mids, as those speakers are high quality and perfectly fit the car factory location, but I did remove the tweeters from the door, I also removed the Alpine amp due to lack of flexibility. Final system is the Alpine mid-bass, mids, and some JBL tweeters I have installed just above the mids in the upper dash, facing the driver, and this was the best audio mods I've made so far, it sounded so clean with precise imaging and full detail. MUCH better than the door location (also Alpine tweeter are not that great). Also I use the rear signal to power the front since it is less factory equalized and sound better. I can post pic to show how I have done the tweeter install while keeping the 2'' mid in the factory location, so now I'm running full 3-ways on the Audiocontrol amp and I'm pretty much satisfied with my system. I've just done a full sound deadening of the front doors using Soundskins, mainly to prevent rattling, this was also a good improvement. Only thing left to do is to find a good 4 ohm sub that can work well with the 400W output of the Audiocontrol amp.

I still not recommend anyone going the Alpine route, it's much too expensive, too complicated and the sound improvement is not enough to justify the cost and hassle to install.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

I bought the complete system (SPC-100AU, SPC-200AU) and also the x703d-q5 CarPlay compatible head unit (I have a Q5, obviously).
I installed everything myself, the installation took about a week, mostly because of removing almost every internal trim to lead all the cables from the amp in the back to the front speakers (I had never installed anything in any car before this ‘experiment’, except a dash cam once).
The rest of the installation was easy as I had the basic (passive) audio in my car, and the cable harness was mostly plug and play.
All I had to buy was a simple converter from ISO to the Audi specific Quadlock connector, I don’t understand why Alpine did not include that in the kit, which already had like 100 parts.
I also installed the OEM subwoofer as I did not have one in my car.
I’m still experimenting with them, it’s not entirely clear how certain settings in the head unit (e.g. crossover, time correction) interact with the amplifier’s pre-tuned car specific defaults.
The only issue I have is some resonance/distortion coming from the front/center speakers in the dashboard around 500 hz with high volume. It might be something with the crossover settings, I’m not sure. Any advice is welcome.

thanks,
Csaba

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

I bought the complete system (SPC-100AU, SPC-200AU) and also the x703d-q5 CarPlay compatible head unit (I have a Q5, obviously).
I installed everything myself, the installation took about a week, mostly because of removing almost every internal trim to lead all the cables from the amp in the back to the front speakers (I had never installed anything in any car before this ‘experiment’, except a dash cam once).
The rest of the installation was easy as I had the basic (passive) audio in my car, and the cable harness was mostly plug and play.
All I had to buy was a simple converter from ISO to the Audi specific Quadlock connector, I don’t understand why Alpine did not include that in the kit, which already had like 100 parts.
I also installed the OEM subwoofer as I did not have one in my car.
I’m still experimenting with them, it’s not entirely clear how certain settings in the head unit (e.g. crossover, time correction) interact with the amplifier’s pre-tuned car specific defaults.
The only issue I have is some resonance/distortion coming from the front/center speakers in the dashboard around 500 hz with high volume. It might be something with the crossover settings, I’m not sure. Any advice is welcome.

thanks,
Csaba
I'm thinking about the speaker upgrades for my 2014 A4. I have the Alpine X701D-A4 head unit installed and was looking for a simple plug and play upgrade. I have the installation manual for the SPC-100AU and SPC-200AU kits but it's not very clear about the wiring. It appears that the harness supplied with the SPC-200AU just connects the new amp to the three dash speakers and doesn't mention anything about the rest of the speakers in the car. The crossovers supplied with the SPC-100AU kit has the option to connect it for either a 2-way or 3-way system but doesn't show any other connections. I assume that the crossovers just have a low pass and high pass setting for the door speakers and the dash speakers only get the midrange frequencies from the new amp with the door speakers getting the audio signals from either the factory amp or the Alpine head unit. The OP was talking about having to cut some wires and I don't see that happening with this kit if it's installed properly. Did you run into any wiring issues like the OP described and, if so, what were they specifically? Right now all speakers in my A4 are receiving a signal with the new head unit installed so I'm hoping that will still be the case with the two upgrade kits as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No wire cutting necessary at all, if you have the basic factory audio (no Audi Sound System and no B&O). According to the UK Alpine website the KIT is also compatible with ASS (but no B&O), but I do not have experience with that setup. Moreover, I'm not sure that it is worth to upgrade from ASS, while it is definitely worth it if you have the basic one.

In my case all 10 speakers work at the end:
3 mid range Alpine speakers in the dashboard
2 Alpine tweeters in the front doors
2 Alpine woofers in the front doors
2 Audi original speakers in the rear doors
Audi subwoofer in the trunk

So basically these are the steps:
  • You install the four new speakers in the front doors with the crossover harness (remove the Audi woofers)
  • You use the connection of the crossover labeled '3-way' if you plan to install SPC-200AU as well
  • You remove the OEM speakers from the dash, and install the three Alpine speakers instead
  • You install the AMP into the trunk and lead the harness into the front
  • You unplug the Quadlock connector from the head unit
  • Here you need the converter I mentioned in my previous post, as the Alpine harness does not have the female and male Quadlock connectors, but it has ISO instead
  • Anyway, you connect the car's original harness to the Alpine harness, and the Alpine harness to the head unit
  • Optionally you add the Audi Subwoofer (or keep it, if you have it).
The 3 mid range speakers and the subwoofer have dedicated wires and connections on the Alpine harness, while all the 6 door speakers are connected via the car's original wiring (through the Quadlock interface).

I hope this helps.

Final note: if you plan to install the SPC-200AU buy it ASAP as it is not sold any more in most countries. On ebay there are a few still available, so hurry up!

I'm thinking about the speaker upgrades for my 2014 A4. I have the Alpine X701D-A4 head unit installed and was looking for a simple plug and play upgrade. I have the installation manual for the SPC-100AU and SPC-200AU kits but it's not very clear about the wiring. It appears that the harness supplied with the SPC-200AU just connects the new amp to the three dash speakers and doesn't mention anything about the rest of the speakers in the car. The crossovers supplied with the SPC-100AU kit has the option to connect it for either a 2-way or 3-way system but doesn't show any other connections. I assume that the crossovers just have a low pass and high pass setting for the door speakers and the dash speakers only get the midrange frequencies from the new amp with the door speakers getting the audio signals from either the factory amp or the Alpine head unit. The OP was talking about having to cut some wires and I don't see that happening with this kit if it's installed properly. Did you run into any wiring issues like the OP described and, if so, what were they specifically? Right now all speakers in my A4 are receiving a signal with the new head unit installed so I'm hoping that will still be the case with the two upgrade kits as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Do you have a link where I can purchase the ISO to Quadlock adapter? I just purchased both the SPC-100AU and SPC-200AU kits on ebay from the dealer in Italy, but I haven't heard back from him yet. Is this adapter actually needed with the X701D-A4 head unit? I believe the wiring harness for the X701D-A4 has the quadlock connector to interface with the car's wiring.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also bought it from Italy, so you have a good chance to get it eventually.

I bought this converter:

Later I found out that there was an Alpine one for the same purpose and it is significantly more compact. Unfortunately I cannot find that link anymore :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
How does this adapter work? I looked at the one in the link you provided and it appears to insert inline with the existing wiring. I assume that some of the connectors in the wiring harness supplied with the SPC-200AU plug into some of the connectors in the quadlock adapter harness. I looked on ebay and these things are expensive. I have contacted the Alpine Support center in the UK to ask about the adapter to see if I need it with the X701D-A4 and where I can buy one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, you insert it inline as you described. Then connect the female and male ISOs from the Alpine harness into their appropriate counterpart in the converter. The only trick is, that now you have two unused connectors on the converter (a male and a female), those you have to plug into each other to close the circuit.
I ordered my one for 40 EUR including the shipping.
The Alpine converter was a little bit cheaper and more compact as it has only one pair of ISO connectors (as the other pair does nothing to do with audio).

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is the original Alpine adapter you need:

This works in a little bit different way. The strange connectors at the end of the cables are the male/female counterparts of one of the sockets of the Quadlock (Quadlock is really three different sockets bundled together into one big connector). This also goes inline, but only between the wires that matter. You remove the Quadlock, take it apart, connect the wires, put the patched Quadlock back into the head unit.
Much compact solution, as you do not need the two huge Quadlock connectors and all the wires connecting them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just ordered the KWE-FR1AU adapter from Alpine. Are you saying that I do not need the PP-AC 88 Quadlock adapter if I use this one? Can you provide me with more detail about how to use the KWE-FR1AU? Perhaps a link with instructions on how to install it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Correct. You need only either one of those. The Alpine adapter simply converts the iso connectors that come with the SPC-200AU's cable harness into the special Audi type ones. So instead of a pair of male/female ISO connectors you end up with a pair of these Audi connectors.
Now you remove the Quadlock from the back of the radio. The Quadlock connector is actually a set of different connectors bundled together. You replace the matching one piece of the Quadlock with the male end of the KWE-FR1AU. You plug back the Quadlock into the radio.
Last step: you plug the connector you removed from the Quadlock (that comes from the car) into the other piece of the KWE-FR1AU.
That's it. It might sound confusing, but it is quite self-explanatory when you see it yourself. And it is hundred times easier than removing the car's different trims without breaking them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks. It does sound a bit confusing, but I should be able to figure it out from your description. I bought the SPC-200AU from a dealer in Germany on ebay, but I haven't been able to find anyone that has the SPC-100AU that is willing to ship it to the U.S. None of the Alpine dealers I've talked to will do it because there's a regional issue with dealers here in the U.S. Right now I'm torn between trying to install just the SPC-200AU or go with my own amps and speakers using the preamp outputs from the X701D-A4. I'd like to see if I can just use the SPC-200AU for the dash speakers and try my own setup for the door speakers and subwoofer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks. You've been a great help already. If you happen to know of any Alpine dealers there that would be willing to ship to the U.S. that would be great. In the meantime I'm still keeping a lookout to see if anyone posts the SPC-100AU on ebay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Try writing to hifigarage. According to their website they ship to non-eu countries, but you need to write them for a shipping quote. I hardly speak any German, but I could communicate with them very well with Google translate. Also, I'm pretty sure they speak English as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts